Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi, my blackberry curve lost almost all my text messages. i had text messages from ... BlackBerry Curve forum

tweekie no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Lost text (SMS) messages.... how to retrieve them?

Advertisement

hi,

my blackberry curve lost almost all my text messages. i had text messages from about 3 months on it, and now it only shows the text messages for the past few days.

my memory was running kind of low because i had way to many e-mails on it. i already deleted all e-mails since i don't need them once i've read them. however, i would really love to get my text messages back. one of the lost messages has really important information that i need badly.

do you think that the curve overwrites old text messages if it's running out of memory? i deleted all extra languages when i first set it up and i also deleted the little movie that came with it (the blackberry commercial). so my memory wasn't that bad to begin with.

i have a back up that's about 3 weeks old. if i just replace the existing database with the blackberry desktop manager, than all my current text messages will be gone, right? is there a way to merge the existing text messages on my device with the old ones that are saved on my laptop? then at least i'd only be missing all my text messages that i've received within the past 3 weeks.

any ideas what to do? i'd really appreciate your input!

thanks so much

c3po25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Re: Lost text (SMS) messages.... how to retrieve them?

there's no way to do it in terms of merging the text messages. The solution that I would have for that is that go ahead and send the text you currently have on your BB as emails to yourself, and then use the back up to reload the BB to retrive the other text messages that you have lost. this way you can still have all of your messages, but just in diff format. Sorry there's no better solution

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I was a little slow on the reply... c3po25 said it first!

The only thing I would caution against is that restoring your device will loose all your new contacts, email, etc since the last backup. So you'll probably have to do some tricky shuffling to get things where you want them.

Just a thought! Good luck. Loosing data sucks.

Thumbs down Re: Lost text (SMS) messages.... how to retrieve them?

gosh that really sucks!

what can i do to prevent this from happening in the future? you'd think that a blackberry is a smart phone and that there's no danger of loosing data just like that.

oh boy, i need a drink! (and it's only 10.40 am here)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Lol -- not at your misery, at the drink comment.

I've got my backups set to run once a week. Any important text message received with key data should probably forwarded to an e-mail address (external to the BB ideally).

Since you have unlimited data (i'm assuming), forwarding the texts to an e-mail account wouldn't be that hard. You could always append something to the subject so you could enable a filter on the e-mail account to just dump them into a backup folder. If you want to get really fancy, you could define an auto text replacement on your BB for something like FFB (forward for backup) that would expand into a unique subject line of the e-mail.

Just thinking out loud here. Living in the computer era, it's all too common to loose stuff into the great void. Really makes the few minutes it takes to backup the BB seem a lot less annoying...

Good luck. Sorry about the problems!

c3po25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    I was a little slow on the reply... c3po25 said it first!

The only thing I would caution against is that restoring your device will loose all your new contacts, email, etc since the last backup. So you'll probably have to do some tricky shuffling to get things where you want them.

Just a thought! Good luck. Loosing data sucks.
    Sorry, beat you to the punch, but I guess we were on the same wavelength on way to the same answer so that's good....lol

and in terms of how to prevent it, I guess just be sure there's enough memory on the device to store the texts. Also make sure the pics and the ringtone that you have saved on the device is transferred to your media card (if you are using one) this way it can create some more room for the texts.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by tweekie
    what can i do to prevent this from happening in the future? you'd think that a blackberry is a smart phone and that there's no danger of loosing data just like that.
    Any BB will start to delete context when it starts to run low on memory. Remove unneeded apps and language packs. Keep all your photos and ringtones on the microSD card. Keep your logs cleaned out. Delete old email. Pull the battery if you have to. Keep an eye on your free memory. Check around and make sure that your problem isn't due to a memory leak either in your OS load or in one of your apps.

Normally, this shouldn't be an issue. I've never had to actively monitor my memory usage on any of my BB's but you'll need to do all this until you find the cause of the problem.

when you talk about pulling the battery, do you actually mean just to pull it out while the device is still switched on? or turn it off first and then pull the battery?

sorry, i'm new to all this.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Since a BB saves everything to flash memory, you can just pull the battery while the device is on with no harm.

I know. Seems unfair that it deleted your stuff but you can pull the battery without loosing anything...

what can i do to prevent my blackberry from deleting text messages in the future? i heard that once i've saved them, my phone won't delete them automatically anymore.... is that true?

dmrooney66 no está en línea Stack level 1

I seem to have had a similar experience, but my BB curve deleted all my texts except the ones initially carried over from my sim when I purchased my BB. It also seems to have deleted my emails from before a certain date, but two different dates for my two email accounts. Everything is set to save "forever," etc. Any thoughts?

dmrooney66 no está en línea Stack level 1

I seem to have had a similar experience, but my BB curve deleted all my texts except the ones initially carried over from my sim when I purchased my BB. It also seems to have deleted my emails from before a certain date, but two different dates for my two email accounts. Everything is set to save "forever," etc.

One other question, I'm also on a Mac using PocketMac as my sync application. Is there any kind of sms backup for Macs similar to the one mentioned above? If so, where do I find/access it it? Thanks!!

rachaelp no está en línea Stack level 3

Mine TOO!!!!! Mine somehow deleted every e-mail between August 29th and today. I have no idea what happened, and I am freaked. I don't know what is going on...

DannoUK no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    251a4a3c

Ive had this problem too and for me its happened when ive changed theme. ON starting the new theme all old sms have vanished!

Also if i dont restart after selecting a new theme any new sms sent to the phone do not actually arrive. and are lost. Only when i restart do texts start coming.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by DannoUK View Post
    Ive had this problem too and for me its happened when ive changed theme. ON starting the new theme all old sms have vanished!

Also if i dont restart after selecting a new theme any new sms sent to the phone do not actually arrive. and are lost. Only when i restart do texts start coming.
    Read this:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...call_logs.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast