Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tiny update (for users who voted yes here) Ok, so I upgraded from the 8300 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Loose trackball - workaround

Advertisement

Tiny update (for users who voted yes here)
    Ok, so I upgraded from the 8300 to the 8320 and guess what... the trackball this time seemed even worse! lol. I kept feeling jealous of my girl friend's Pearl which has such a smooth and sturdy feel to the trackball.

I decided to investigate. Removing both the Pearl (she doesn't know so shhh!) and the Curve's trackball ever so carefully and what I found was that the seating for the Pearl's trackball is smaller so that the trackball fits VERY snug. While the 8320's trackball fits very loose especially in the scroll-up and scroll-down motions.

Workaround
    Needed something to help the trackball sit with a bit less leg room as it were. Fortunately the loss feel always seems to be up and down scrolling and not left right and since the 3 clips for the trackball cover sit left, right and bottom it left the open top area as the best option. I used post-it notes. Cutting VERY tiny (still not tiny enough as you see in pic) and used the side with the adhesive. Then stuck it to the top site of the trackball seating. Once closed up it feels a lot better now!!! That thin space makes a bit difference. Similar to the Pearl's feel and now I make less selection errors of wrong icons and wrong emails.

Of course will has to see how this does over time. But setting up something a bit more permanent now I know the exact problem and space to be filled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Loose trackball - workaround

very nice indeed... do I dare try this at home
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

KEMATAY no está en línea Stack level 1

cool idea. i just switched the trackball from my pearl to my curve.

PIN/ID
    ask

I wish I could swap the track ball also. I used a think piece of flexible hard rubber and replaced the paper. Now I must say it feel like a new BB. The trackball is the MAIN point of navigation and selecting so it's crucial that it's comfortable and user friendly. With this rubber now I don't have to worry about replacing and it still slides out in case I need to remove the trackball.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Tiny update (for users who voted yes here)
    Ok, so I upgraded from the 8300 to the 8320 and guess what... the trackball this time seemed even worse! lol. I kept feeling jealous of my girl friend's Pearl which has such a smooth and sturdy feel to the trackball.

I decided to investigate. Removing both the Pearl (she doesn't know so shhh!) and the Curve's trackball ever so carefully and what I found was that the seating for the Pearl's trackball is smaller so that the trackball fits VERY snug. While the 8320's trackball fits very loose especially in the scroll-up and scroll-down motions.

Workaround
    Needed something to help the trackball sit with a bit less leg room as it were. Fortunately the loss feel always seems to be up and down scrolling and not left right and since the 3 clips for the trackball cover sit left, right and bottom it left the open top area as the best option. I used post-it notes. Cutting VERY tiny (still not tiny enough as you see in pic) and used the side with the adhesive. Then stuck it to the top site of the trackball seating. Once closed up it feels a lot better now!!! That thin space makes a bit difference. Similar to the Pearl's feel and now I make less selection errors of wrong icons and wrong emails.

Of course will has to see how this does over time. But setting up something a bit more permanent now I know the exact problem and space to be filled.
    Ok I will be sending mine to you so you can fix it for me... LOL

PIN/ID
    ask

lol. That would be a pleasure. Seriously But ask Todd it would take at least 3 weeks maybe 4 to get here and back

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Quote Originally Posted by KEMATAY View Post
    cool idea. i just switched the trackball from my pearl to my curve.
    How's that working for ya? That seems like an easier thing to do. Especially since you can order the trackball housings for the Pearl online.

shadow63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242949a0

Hayden

Do you have a pic of your trackball assembly after you put the flexible hard rubber in it. I see what you mean by the slack in the assembly. What did you use or get the flexible hard rubber off of to use. Thanks.

thewildside no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hey can u post the step by step process it will help a lot other people

yoshio no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by thewildside View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hey can u post the step by step process it will help a lot other people
    I'd be very appreciative as well.

Thanks!

kyleheney no está en línea Stack level 1

can you please post how to fix these trackballs.... i just switched from a pearl to a new 8320 and am already sick of the noisy trackball after one day.... a step by step process would be very much appreciated!

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3

how hard is it really to switch the pearl ball cradle with the curve ball cradle?? i might consider trying this with my curve if it doesnt take a rocket scientist to do. i really hate this ball.

good1988 no está en línea Stack level 3

I swear Hayden you are a savior. I did exactly what you prompted and it worked like a charm but i folded the paper and mad it a little thicker. I can post pics if needed.

ET436 no está en línea Stack level 1
    wow very nice but I dunno if I could do it.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    What does this say about the fit of the track ball assembly? is rim slipping here? damn man if I just purchased a new device and had to rig it up with shims to make it work, I would undoubtedly return it until I got one that worked as it was supposed too.
    Would you use a piece of tie wire to hold the windshield wiper to your month old benz? Or would you drive it to where you bought it and say some thing to them?
    Some thing tells me every one would want it right not rigged, and for what these things go for that's a shame.
    But great info for the curve owners on gsm. I personally did not see a problem on the cdma version and was surprised the difference between the two devices .
    This quality issue was what made me hesitate on making the switch to the curve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast