I live in Vancouver, Canada. And sometimes im traveling in a car without a map. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Luxferre no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24B5591D

Looking for Map software without edge/wifi/GPS

Advertisement

I live in Vancouver, Canada. And sometimes im traveling in a car without a map.

Im looking for some map software that I can use to look up simply a map. Pan in and out if possible.

I tried BB maps without much success, and from what I've read google maps eat up a lot of data (meaning u need GPS and stuff)

Now if there is an offline version of google maps it would suffice, but I dont know whether that is an option or not. If not, can someone recommend me a map software that I can install?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    There is a utility that you can download and install called TrekBuddy. It uses Google Maps and requires no Data Plan.

The tradeoff is you have to create your maps ahead of time and load them onto your phone. Its an effective alternative for traveling areas without a dataplan.

Welcome to the Stacks!
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 06-03-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added hyperlink
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    There is a utility that you can download and install called TrekBuddy. It uses Google Maps and requires no Data Plan.

The tradeoff is you have to create your maps ahead of time and load them onto your phone. Its an effective alternative for traveling areas without a dataplan.

Welcome to the Stacks!
    I tried this before and it takes quite a lil while to get used to it and to get it to work some good reading involved if your not familiar with the program

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by Don LuiG View Post
    I tried this before and it takes quite a lil while to get used to it and to get it to work some good reading involved if your not familiar with the program
    I agree that it takes a little investment of time up front, but its the only option I've found if you need maps in a data-free area.

This blog writeup was quite helpful to me when I was learning how to set it up.

Once you get the hang of it, its pretty straightforward.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Luxferre no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24B5591D
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    I agree that it takes a little investment of time up front, but its the only option I've found if you need maps in a data-free area.

This blog writeup was quite helpful to me when I was learning how to set it up.

Once you get the hang of it, its pretty straightforward.
    Thanks LaTuFu and Don LuiG

I looked around on that link you sent me already and didnt find what I was looking for.

I guess to make myself clear I wasn't exactly looking for trip planning program, Im looking more for a map program. Now ideally I could just take the entire google map database and throw it onto a micro SD, but I doubt that's possible, so Im looking for something similar to that, and purely a map program

Thanks again, and apologies for the confusion!

marcuzi no está en línea Stack level 2
    Here is a Trekbuddy atlas, in case you still need it. Cheers, -m

http://rapidshare.com/files/14284980...ouver.rar.html