Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Now i have made my run around from cell phone company to cell phone company. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Omegazab no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30c96eb6

Looking at options.

Advertisement

Now i have made my run around from cell phone company to cell phone company. I have had many phones from your basic free phones to your latest and greatest. I currently am considering a Blackberry Curve 8330 (i know obviously if i am posting this here) and having Sprint as my provider. I have noticed that there are a plethora of websites with apps, themes and more. I am just wondering what apps you have found useful and worth downloading. Anything from the vibrate and ring (one i am particularly interested in seeing i don't like phones that don't have this option) to certain games that may work well with the blackberry's format. As well as certain websites that are user friendly or have cheap apps or just good. If you have any opinions on even the choice of phone or provider i am open to hearing them. Honestly I really want a blackberry and just am trying to make some right choices. By the way its for more of a personal use not business. Really the most scheduling will be done for my school schedule. Thank you in advance.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    These are some I use other users may differ:

Twitter client(Ubertwitter)
    Social Networking(Facebook)
    Information(Superpages Mobile)
    Alternate web brower(Opera Mini)
    Radio station(Pandora)
    App store(Blackberry app store)
    Viigo

These will get you started. I'm not much of a game person so I can't help you there. Others will hopefully chime in. Hope this helps.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Welcome to PinStack.

While that's a great phone keep in mind it was released Q2 of 2008. In your area which provider has the best coverage? That should point you in the right direction when looking at providers. After deciding on which carrier will work best for your needs then begin the search for the phone which has the features you need.

Lets go with the 8330, there are tons of great Apps so I guess it will depend on what your interests will be? You should be able to
    use Business, News, Music Apps with that phone. I will let others comment on games.

What Apps interest you, so that we can list App names to consider.

BBqwest no está en línea Stack level 3
    Don't forget bout your awsome bb messenger app. Also opera mini web browser. The always awsome berrybuzz. Pandora is the best internet radio app on the bb right now and best of all its free. Peek@who, empower sms viewer is also another awsome app that allows you to customize the way you txt people from your berry complete with smileys. I have a number of games that I try out from different websites that work. Some work better than others but that's the whole fun. Your blackberry if you choose to get it will treat you well as mine does.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    If you are gonna go with Sprint, I would suggest the 8350i (the newest Curve they have).

I use the following 3rd party apps:

PinStack Launcher
    FaceBook
    TwitterBerry
    BlackBerry Messenger
    BeeJive (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, FaceBook, and MySpace IM clients combined into one)

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    Thank you for the quick responses. I have looked into all the major carriers in my area (T-mobile, Verizon/Alltel, Sprint, AT&T, And a few random locals such as unicel) and have pretty much decided on sprint. The guys at cnet have recommended the sprint 8330 over the verizon one mostly due to options available. I am not big on calls and mostly contact people through the internet and messaging. I am right now figuring i will be going with the Everything Data plan through sprint with 450 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. That does include unlimited texts as well. For 69.99 for all that it isn't too bad seeing setting up through most other providers has produced 80+ monthly costs with more minutes or less features. So unless i find a phone that has different and/or better features i will probably go with sprint. Such as i am liking the idea of 3g and wi fi available in a blackberry package it seems that is in the future and maybe i will upgrade or find an unlocked phone down the road. I figure 3g will suffice at the moment seeing i do have multiple computers and basically have a laptop and wi fi when i really need it.

I guess i am really unsure of what all options i have app wise. I figure that a alternate browser will be needed. Opera does seem like a wise choice seeing i am familiar with that from school and some home use (its my girlfriends favorite even over firefox). A information app (like 411/ a phonebook?) is another thing that i would be interested in. Something easy and simple there. I would assume with a internet browser i can google things with out too much hassle. I am an avid text messager (last phone was a lg scoop from alltel guess that's where i got the idea just to switch to a phone with a real qwerty keyboard) so any app allowing this to be easier. Maybe a spell checker or even something that would alter commonly misspelled words automatically (i would understand if that just isn't possible could be hard for the phone to figure that out). Pandora is something i haven't even thought about looking into to be honest. I use it on my laptop all the time so i am extremely excited for that. I do like the idea of a gps navigator what can the 8330 do with that on its own? Now i don't expect to have a garmin built into my phone but can it do some turn by turn stuff or not. I guess i haven't looked into too much. Is there anything to stream videos from youtube or whatever smoother or with a simple interface. Are there any apps that just add some simple functions such as vib and ring, flashlight (ya i dunno just something i saw) and so on?

Just a kinda separate almost off topic question is can you set a mp3 song as your ringtone or do you have to use ones downloaded/preloaded on the phone? i like to have ringtones i can hear cuz they are loud and annoying and ones that or soft and almost in the backround.

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    If you are gonna go with Sprint, I would suggest the 8350i (the newest Curve they have).

I use the following 3rd party apps:

PinStack Launcher
    FaceBook
    TwitterBerry
    BlackBerry Messenger
    BeeJive (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, FaceBook, and MySpace IM clients combined into one)

I have looked into 8350 and it is a close second option. I am not purchasing a phone until September so honestly i will probably toss and turn between the 8330 and 8350. I do like the lower price of the 8330 which is attracting me now. The wi fi of the 8350 is a big plus though. the 8350 does have 3g right? Maybe someone can answer this as well. When i'm looking through specs of phones what specifies the 3g support. I know the obvious wi fi 802.11 and so forth but ya.

I would assume i don't lose any features due to it technically being a nextel phone instead of sprint? i know its probably a stupid question just thought i'd ask.

I will really try to give you guys a run for your money (thats free sooo i dunno what that really means). I am an avid researcher of toys i like to buy if you haven't noticed. Looking at the http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...ifications.jsp i noticed the 8350 does not have tethering capabilities which interests me but has anyone used this and how well does it even work.
    Last edited by Omegazab; 07-28-2009 at 01:51 AM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Have you considered the 9630 BlackBerry Tour, a far superior phone to the 8330? I have an 8330 and it's a great phone, but the Tour has much more app memory, and should perform much faster than the 8330. Just wanted to throw in another to consider.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    i do like the tour but the price is kinda steep for what i want to spend on a phone. if there is any sort of extra rebate or price drop between now and sept it will become more of an option

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I understand...I just hate the thought of being stuck in a 2 year contract with a phone that is already outdated....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    That is a very good point. In my mind i guess i would consider the curve a tried and true platform for the time being. Do you or anyone else know if sprint gets its panties in a bunch about hooking up unlocked phones down the road?

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    i just wanna thank everyone again for the help :-D

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegazab View Post
    That is a very good point. In my mind i guess i would consider the curve a tried and true platform for the time being. Do you or anyone else know if sprint gets its panties in a bunch about hooking up unlocked phones down the road?
    In all honesty, as long as the phone is able to work on their network, doesn't really matter what their opinion on it is. I would also look into the Tour as a possibility as Az stated, if you're gonna get locked into a contract, you mine as well get the newest hardware you can. The Tour is a marriage of the Bold and Curve quite frankly and it seems to be a very solid device, with the added benefit of being able to use it abroad.

As far as apps go, here's what I use:

1) Pinstack Mobile Reader (this is a no-brainer)
    2) Vlingo (Voice-to-text for email, text messages, Facebook, etc, and voice activated dialing)
    3) Viigo (News and Podcasts)
    4) Berryweather
    5) AmazeGPS (GPS and navigation - FREE)
    6) Vision for YouTube (YouTube client)
    7) Poynt (Yellow Pages, White Pages, Movies, etc..)
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm going to agree with others on the Curve that is why i mentioned Q2 of 2008. I had a feeling price point may have been an issue but even a new device is outdated when released as the cell industry goes. If you able to start off with the newest device your probably better off. Having more memory on the phone really is an advantage. I've not used the Tour yet but if it's anything close to the Bold then it's rock solid and a great one to start with. +1 for starting with a newly released vs something that's been around for a year.

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    In all honesty you guys are persuading me pretty well. I do like the tour more and more that i have looked at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast