Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by jwlussow Some businesses will flock to it because it is more secure ... BlackBerry Curve forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: Leaving Blackberry :-(

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Some businesses will flock to it because it is more secure than the BB.
    Please provide your source of this information. A link would do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer
    I don't understand the need to bash Apple either.
    You don't have to hate one to like the other.
    I like my RIM devices.
    I like my Apple products.
    I like many products from other vendors.
    To say that Apple only makes crap just shows the ignorance of an individual
    To say that Apple can do no wrong is also ignorant.
    This holds true again for any product or platform.
    The great thing is we get to choose the product that does the best job for our needs.
    You don't have to limit yourself to just one!
    Really people, I just don't see why anyone see the need to debate this issue or bad mouth one device over the other.
    The best one to own is simply the one that YOU like the best and that best suits your individual needs.
    On top of that, RIM isn't exactly asleep at the wheel.

Be loyal to yourself, not to a product.

Nice Work and Well Said evilhomer !

I’m with you, and I share your sentiment on this topic. Your assessment is right on!

When it comes to the various devices, they are all designed by highly talented engineers working for well organized companies. To bash a company, product, or model is a small minded thing to do.

Why focus on the negative, or worse yet, create negatives with no supporting evidence.

Why not celebrate the choices we have, the well designed devices and let the rest go.

Speaking for myself, the more the better, competition is the lifeblood of development.

The good news is the general population is comprised of individuals, with their own different likes and dislikes. A very valuable opportunity to learn from each other.

I choose to see the good, embrace change, and enjoy!

Cheers….

fortyeighty no está en línea Stack level 2

reading various tech news sites and blogs i haven't found info on if the iphone will be able to sync with a non-mac computer. so far the phone is supposed to interact (sync?) with iphoto and itunes on os x.
    the other item that is making me cautious is that it's only available on a 2 year contract with a qualified service plan. unfortunately att isn't releasing what the service plans will be like but there are rumors that make it pricey.
    most of my mac products have been great, with the exception of the 3rd gen ipod battery issue. this will definitely be one item to wait and see and let the early adopters be the beta group.

jsternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DFE188

I was the cingular and just recently switched to Tmo, do to lower prices and better deals. So, as of now I am back in my sidekick 2 which is pain stakingly SLOW! I seriously can't wait to get a bb curve for Tmo! less than 90 days now, woo hoo! haha!

Broo no está en línea Stack level 1

"Some businesses will flock to it because it is more secure than the BB."

From what I hear, the iPhone only supports IMAP and POP3- two formats that are stricly NOT allowed at our offices as they travel as clear text across the Internet. BB is approved by corporate mandate as the data is encrypted on the BES server and then decrypted once it gets to the device. (I think Windows Mobile/Exchange has a similar feature for Excahnge, but our corporate office is still testing).

I do not think you are going to find a lot of business using the iPhone unless it is a very small business; POP/IMAP would be a manual configuration on each device vs. setting up an account on the BES and them plugging the device into a USB cable on their desktop (with BB Client installed, of course).

I also doubt the iPhone will allow for policy features such as password requirement and remote 'kill' of the unit in case it is lost/stolen; these are very important features for our offices.

Blackberry is secure and reliable for our offices; the iPhone is an iPod with a phone embedded (and no GPS?). If it wasn't $600 and a 2 year contract I would be mildly interesed as a personal phone (I currently carry a Treo 700p for personal and a Blackberry 8300 for work); for now I would wait until 2nd or 3rd gen- or at least the 2nd batch of this phone to see how it fares after the first reviews!

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Broo
    From what I hear, the iPhone only supports IMAP and POP3- two formats that are stricly NOT allowed at our offices as they travel as clear text across the Internet.
    I agree with everything you say pretty much, but on quick correction. Both IMAP and POP protocols support 'secure' encrypted connections using SSL, offering a similar level of encryption as a BlackBerry data stream. However, this does not negate or diminish the other very valid points you made.

joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32b09853

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    RIM has made an honest effort to push Mac owners from their BBs. Jeff Han's multi touch screen will revolutionize many industries. I don't need to be cutting edge but it would be nice if I can sync tasks and contacts with more than 2 numbers. I love my 7100i but I will be in line for an iPhone on June 29th also. I wish only the best for everyone here, even the FUDsters that hate Apple. I don't hate BB but RIM needs to learn a lesson in customer support. I'm not saying that RIM will go out of business, but if anyone at RIM thinks the iPhone won't effect their business in some way they should start taking reality pills.
    let us know how you do with getting corporate email pushed to your device. i have nothing against apple. i use some apple products. they are nice toys.
    Last edited by joe allen; 06-25-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~oh and it does have a sim card slot

I see these products as quite different.

I see my BlackBerry 8300 is first and foremost a messaging device (MS Exchange integration, push email, external email support, SMS/MMS support, killer Instant Messanging support with JiveTalk, real keyboard, etc.).

I see the iPhone as first and foremost a portable web browsing interface. It will be the first portable device to offer a true AJAX interactive web experience. That means that almost anything is possible as long as it can be packaged as a web application. I expect them to have killer instant messenger with an iPhone version of meebo.com, etc. Companies will find themselves pressured to support it with custom AJAX interfaces. Imagine the experience 6 months from now when Expedia, Marriott, Hertz, Dominos, etc. all offer iPhone interactive interfaces? It will be the web browsing experience to envy: portable, interactive, and fun.

Will I keep my BlackBerry, you bet. Messaging/Communication is currently higher priority to me than fancy portable web browsing. Will that change eventually? Maybe, but by then I expect products like Opera 9 Mobile (which also supports AJAX) on Windows Mobile devices and future BlackBerry browsing products to support the wave of portable interactive web applications that the iPhone is likely to start.

The future looks bright indeed.
    Last edited by Flashman; 06-25-2007 at 02:10 PM.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

See ya around.. oh and don't forget to bring a tent and a nintendo ds heheh.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by jacobwelsh
    ......the simplicity of a Mac product.....
    simple
    adj 1: having few parts; not complex or complicated or involved; "a
    simple problem"; " simple mechanisms" [syn: Blackberry]; [ant: iPhone]

i cant even navagate an ipod.

mmorgan1865 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F91A45

Our corporate IT department just sent out an E-Mail today that said the I-Phone would not be able to receive corporate E-Mail. They did indicate that the browsers could be set so you could access the server but that is a lot more hassle than just using the BB.

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

The iPhone wont be available for business accounts. Not for a long time anyway. Its not a business phone, there's no need for it. The phone is not 3G, something done by Apple, not at&t. While we are trying to enter our 3G network, the iPhone has made us spend $50 MILLION to upgrade our Edge network so it can handle all of the potential iPhone sales. No warranty (same as the BB). And if you remember the 1st gen iPod...it really sucked. I mean the thing was horrible. As I work for at&t, I am still excited about the phone, but wait for 2nd gen at least...if you want to spend that kind of money, go buy an Xbox 360 ELITE...you'll get more for your money quite honestly.

EDIT!: sorry, by no warranty I meant no Insurance...
    Last edited by GBallew; 06-26-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Cingular is now the new at&t

Quote Originally Posted by mmorgan1865
    Our corporate IT department just sent out an E-Mail today that said the I-Phone would not be able to receive corporate E-Mail. They did indicate that the browsers could be set so you could access the server but that is a lot more hassle than just using the BB.
    Right, if your company uses MS Exchange, and it has not disabled the WebMail feature, then your users CAN get their corporate Email by browsing over to the WebMail server. Same way current Windows Mobile, Nokia, and other non-BB users with mobile browsers check their corporate mail.

However, there are various tools out there coming out (or out) that can sync with a MS Exchange server through the WebMail interface, so I would not be surprised if syncing to MS Exchange via WebMail becomes available rather quickly as an iPhone capability (via some neat Ajax mail-sync website).

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    I see these products as quite different
    The future looks bright indeed.
    Well Said!

These are indeed two very different products for different uses. And based on the amount of exposure the iPhone is getting, it's bound to spur the competition to push even harder and innovate and an increased pace.

I find it rather amusing that comparisons are being drawn when one is a productivity based device for getting work done, and the other is an entertainment centric device that just happens to include a phone and a way to get email. I'm not trashing Apple, quite the contrary as I find this a very interesting device. A device that has it's own place in the market, but in a very different space than the BlackBerry Platform. The lack of 3G on the iPhone I find shocking. While I know based on what I've read, that AT&T is "upgrading the EDGE network for increased speed, there is still quite a difference between that and 3G. I have several 3G phones to compare against my EDGE phones and the speed increase is very real and significant.

I think it will be fun to sit back and watch the iPhone project unfold. To see how it does and which direction they take it. Equally if not more interesting will be to watch the other experienced large scale players like Samsung, HTC, and others respond with their own version of what a future device should be. Notice I did not say "iPhone Killer" as I believe that while the iPhone certainly has it's niche in entertainment, the future phones may very well be a blend of a great email device, a great phone, a useful keyboard, and a source of entertainment all rolled into one device. One which ultimately may be of a completely different form factor.

The sheer impact of Steve Jobs masterful use of smoke and mirrors to create a legion of nearly cult like followers is amazing. For any new phone to garner this much attention is very interesting. However let's not overlook the millions of dollars being spent as the TV ads are repeated over and over in an effort to reach the general public with the Apple hype. This Friday, lauch day promises to bring a carnival like atmosphere to this release.

Typically first gen Apple products are rather rough with the normal bugs (I speak from experience as an Apple customer) one would expect of a brand new (untested by the public) device. To see how they handle the first gen iPhone and it's issues will be fascinating.

Finally AT&T is in a great position here, as no matter what happens, they are going to improve how they are percieved. From a rather old and stodgy telecom to a more contemporary company. That's the value for them. No matter how many iPhones are sold, or not sold, the amount of service income from them is a drop in the bucket for AT&T.

This will be the best movie of the year. I have a great seat in the theatre where I'm going to sit back, relax and watch the plot unfold.

The future does look quite bright indeed!

Cheers.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast