I've searched the forums and tried all suggestions I could find - but my problem ... BlackBerry Curve forum

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T

lagging sms & mms

Advertisement

I've searched the forums and tried all suggestions I could find - but my problem persists. Every time I go to either send or open a sms or mms I get a good 5-15sec lag. Durring that period, I can't scroll, exit or do anything for that matter.

I have tried clearing both my inbox and outbox. I have also cleaned the memory, pulled the battery, uninstalled apps I don't use and cleared the browsers cache. Anyone have any ideas as to why nothing has worked?

This seems to be a problem with my handheld. I am on the Verizon network. Thanks in advance!

drozek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    Quote Originally Posted by boxaberry View Post
    I've searched the forums and tried all suggestions I could find - but my problem persists. Every time I go to either send or open a sms or mms I get a good 5-15sec lag. Durring that period, I can't scroll, exit or do anything for that matter.

I have tried clearing both my inbox and outbox. I have also cleaned the memory, pulled the battery, uninstalled apps I don't use and cleared the browsers cache. Anyone have any ideas as to why nothing has worked?

This seems to be a problem with my handheld. I am on the Verizon network. Thanks in advance!
    I get the same thing. I only have msgs from Aug 20th. So almost a full months of emails

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    What code rev are you running? (the device really shouldn't be bogging down like that). What does it report for free memory? (should be lots free on the 8330 - has more than the GSM curves).

If you've loaded 4.5 on it, I'd suggest you go back to the code rev that shipped with it until 4.5 is released for your device/carrier (I know at least in Canada it hasn't been blessed by the CDMA carriers yet).

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Quote Originally Posted by drozek View Post
    I get the same thing. I only have msgs from Aug 20th. So almost a full months of emails
    Question for you? What does your emails have to do with SSM/ MMS? These two are total different than your issue that you are having with emails.........
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Quote Originally Posted by boxaberry View Post

Sometimes this happens to me too. I am on AT&T network, but this is actually pertaining to the OS, just like a computer. You have done the same thing that I do on a constant basis... The last known fix that really worked for me was wiping my device and reloading the OS and it worked since then... There has been a lil delay, but not as much as what you are talking about today...

I hope that helps you out, but if there is anyone else that has a solution to this problem please fill free to discuss.....
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I dont thing it has to to do with the OS cuz I have been on 4.5 for 2-3 months now and have had no problems until the last few weeks...

There are reports that ATT is doing upgrades to their network to prepare for the BOLD as well as correct the issue of the iPhone hogging up the entire network's resources......

as for T-mo there have been issues on the east coast due to IKE and the storms....

I am sure that it will subside soon as both carries have been working around the clock to correct the issues
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    Sorry I ment text messages.

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    45+ free mem
    OS V.4.5.0.77

I suppose I'm just going to have to DG back to the previous OS

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    What code rev are you running? (the device really shouldn't be bogging down like that). What does it report for free memory? (should be lots free on the 8330 - has more than the GSM curves).

If you've loaded 4.5 on it, I'd suggest you go back to the code rev that shipped with it until 4.5 is released for your device/carrier (I know at least in Canada it hasn't been blessed by the CDMA carriers yet).

jwoy42 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    319f0d6f
    I have had the same problem on both 4.2 and 4.5 OS. When I had 4.2, I wiped the BB and the problem was solved, but eventually came back. Now I am on 4.5 and am only having the problem with MMS. I thnk it may be due to with the picture quality. I have mine set on superfine. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    jwoy42 - sounds like it's your application memory that's getting full. (could also be the case with boxaberry). If you keep your device clear of any excessive languages, themes you don't use, only keep applications on the device you actually use, you'll find that it won't get bogged down as much. (also, you can tailor the number of days of messages you keep on he device to minimize how much memory is eaten up with stale messages).

Regarding the OS thing. Running unreleased OS versions is a "use at your own risk" exercise. It's NOT the same as being a beta tester (when you're a beta tester you get access to the known issues list and release notes - so you KNOW many of the issues with the release). If you're running unreleased code, you really shouldn't be surprised when there's issues. (if your carrier hasn't signed off on a release yet, there's usually a reason).

When the carriers do their technical approval, that specific release/bundle has been tested (and tweaked) for their network and devices. Yes, future versions will incorporate these fixes (but, also incorporate fixes for other carriers - which may or may not be optimum for your device type and network).

Heh...k...off of my soapbox

PIN/ID
    319f0d6f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    jwoy42 - sounds like it's your application memory that's getting full. (could also be the case with boxaberry). If you keep your device clear of any excessive languages, themes you don't use, only keep applications on the device you actually use, you'll find that it won't get bogged down as much. (also, you can tailor the number of days of messages you keep on he device to minimize how much memory is eaten up with stale messages).

Regarding the OS thing. Running unreleased OS versions is a "use at your own risk" exercise. It's NOT the same as being a beta tester (when you're a beta tester you get access to the known issues list and release notes - so you KNOW many of the issues with the release). If you're running unreleased code, you really shouldn't be surprised when there's issues. (if your carrier hasn't signed off on a release yet, there's usually a reason).

When the carriers do their technical approval, that specific release/bundle has been tested (and tweaked) for their network and devices. Yes, future versions will incorporate these fixes (but, also incorporate fixes for other carriers - which may or may not be optimum for your device type and network).

Heh...k...off of my soapbox
    My point with the OS is that I have had the same problem with the current official version and the unreleased 4.5. Which is why I am saying it isn't the OS, at least in my case. I have had no problems with the 4.5 that I haven't had with 4.3 (sorry I said 4.2 earlier).

Yes, I thought it may be the app memory and I am in the process of backing everythng up and deleting things (still don't have power from Hurricane Ike) and I will let y'all know if that fixes the problem.

jice no está en línea Stack level 1
    Same problem here.. it was happening on 4.3, i upgraded to 4.5 and the issue persists. Plenty of free memory.

I do have a LOT of emails though (a lot more than SMS/MMS msgs).. wonder if they're related?

PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    Weird I wiped my device with jl cmder, and it is still giving me the same thing, maybe a second or two shorter, but still a lag. Oh well maybe Sprint official 4.5 will make it work better. gonna go down to 4.3 tonight and see how that goes.

Tyler Adamson no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not sure if this is a real fix or not, but on my pearl I had deleted all of the languages that I had no need for. After deleting and updating the os the phone seemed to perform how I thought it should. I have yet to do so on my Curve but as soon as I have the time I'm deleting all of the extra languages and updating.

PIN/ID
    319f0d6f

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Adamson View Post
    Not sure if this is a real fix or not, but on my pearl I had deleted all of the languages that I had no need for. After deleting and updating the os the phone seemed to perform how I thought it should. I have yet to do so on my Curve but as soon as I have the time I'm deleting all of the extra languages and updating.

Funny you should mention that! I was just in the process of switching all the info from my BB to the replacement (mine kept shutting off when slightly touched) and did not add the extra languages. It seemed to help the lag, but only slightly.

I DID change the quality of the pic from 'superfine' to 'normal' and that made a HUGE difference. There was almost no lag at all.

I will probably keep it on 'superfine', however, unless I know that I will be sending it as a MMS. I like having them 'large' and 'superfine' so when I bring them up on my pc they are the best quality.