Out on lunch popped into O2 and Vodafone Stores, asked in O2 if they had ... BlackBerry Curve forum

andrewthomas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2521F913

Just Put Down an 8300

Advertisement

Out on lunch popped into O2 and Vodafone Stores, asked in O2 if they had 8300 in, 'yes, fancy a go?' came the reply.

So, it may have been said by others, but here is my slant.

• Jeez, is it small, I was expecting a 88 87 mix - but this thing feels far more phone sized than qwerty BB - a big plus for me
    • Keyboard is much improved on 8800 (wasn't hard IMHO) however again against my expectations I found it harder to type than I had thought / hoped, after a good twenty minutes accuracy was up - having gone back to 8700 after Pearl and 8800 - it is not as favoured as the 87 but close to.
    • SPELL CHECK! - Get in.
    • Standard Mic jack - yes seen it in the specs, but the thought of using normal headphones, home stereo one, jack into other amplification source or possible recording and use as dictophone a big plus
    • thinner than an 8700 thicker than a 8800 but has the rugged feel of the 8700 without the fragility of the 88.
    • NO GPS - Ł20 BT GPS reciever in drawer if I need it.
    Overall this device hits my (well spaced) buttons, QWERTY, camera, MEDIA, Size and Form spot on, just wish it had (or we had definite delivery of) wifi. BB utopia would surely be reached.

I think a swift call to dealer this afternoon might see me an owner by the morning.

Great Device 83 team, keep it up

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Just Put Down an 8300

Thanks for the info!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthomas
    thinner than an 8700 thicker than a 8800 but has the rugged feel of the 8700 without the fragility of the 88.
    It is funny to see that sort of comment over and over considering how much fuss was made over the perceived fragility of the 8700 when it was first released...

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthomas
    ...thinner than an 8700 thicker than a 8800 but has the rugged feel of the 8700 without the fragility of the 88.
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    It is funny to see that sort of comment over and over considering how much fuss was made over the perceived fragility of the 8700 when it was first released...
    This perceived "ruggedness" that has now been mentioned in several reviews of the 8300, is great news. I think this is the one of the biggest weaknesses of the 8100. Loved the size and the finish, and I never wanted to bulk it up with a case. But, the 8100's delicate, shiny, slick feel always had me worried that one drop... and this thing would explode.

If I'm gonna spring for another $200-$400 BlackBerry, it's nice to know that it should survive a drop...

ChefScott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212c6ad0

I have the Pearl, dropped it once..... I was suprised that nothing major happened to it. The only thing was the sims card popped out of the slot. Just had to put back and I was good to go. No damage to the case. I was worried about damaging it as well, but I think I just lucked out that time.
    It is a little stronger then I thought, made me feel a little more confident in it.

andrewthomas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2521F913

popping sim syndrome is the major thing that turned me off the pearl

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I had that problem with my first Pearl. I had it for a few days with this one also but not recently.

colinmmadden no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241eea25

its all about the skin for the 8100 you can throw it with a skin on it!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4Trippin
    This perceived "ruggedness" that has now been mentioned in several reviews of the 8300, is great news. I think this is the one of the biggest weaknesses of the 8100. Loved the size and the finish, and I never wanted to bulk it up with a case.
    I am of the same mind as you. I really prefer to use my BB's without a skin or other forms of "protection".

I do not even use a screen protector, largely because the BB display lenses are actually quite scratch resistant if treated carefully. In addition, the brilliance of the display is always compromised by most (not all) screen protectors. Then there are the issues of peeling corners, or being hard to apply and align perfectly etc.

Also if I do get a scratch on the display, RIM uses a very high quality plastic display lens which responds quickly and easily to Novus Plastic Polish. Leaving the screen super shiny, clear and nicer than new. When I get a new BlackBerry the very first thing I do is polish the display with Novus, which then reduces the "static cling" of dust and debris, and also makes it so slippery that it repels scratches. In now nearly a year of using my BB and carrying it in my pocket, there is no dust under the screen, I've only had to polish out one minor scratch and it looks as good as new.

The other usage for Novus is to use the cleaner/polish on the body of the BB, it keeps it from becoming stained or dirty. What I like about Novus is it cleans chemically instead of with abrasives. Therefore it works faster and leaves no swirl marks. It's important to note that I do not work for them, it's just my satisfaction as a customer and desire to pass on info about a great product. Easy to use, inexpensive and effective.

Regarding the build quality and durability of the Curve housing as compared to my 8100, I must say that now after nearly three weeks of heavy usage, the 8300 is remarkably solid. A very noticeable improvement over the 8100. And my 8100 is very well made and I have no complaints. It's just that the 8300 takes it to the next level in a substantial way.

Most interestingly, it "feels so solid" despite it's very light weight and relatively small size as compared to an 8800. While I have not had any big problems with my 8800 and I also enjoy that model, it has indeed developed the "side creaks and noises" as reported here by others. This is something that due to a better case design will not develop with the 8300.

All of fits such as the gaps between the different pieces that comprise the entire device, are close fitting, properly aligned and just give off the appearance and feeling of an excellent design that was quite well thought out. It seems by all outward appearance that a lot of time and consideration went into the design of the 8300. It's simply the most robust BlackBerry that I've owned. A very satisfying and encouraging experience which suggests that RIM is indeed listening to their customers and responding accordingly.

There is a certain satisfaction when one feels like they got what they paid for and more. Admittedly I have very high expectations, and each prior BB model I've purchased (as listed below) has met those expectations quite nicely.

That said, I must admit the 8300 has exceeded my expectations by a very wide margin. I highly suggest this model to any of you.

Cheers

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

My pearl is tough... I dropped it at least 6 or 7 times and it's functioning normally.

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknologist
    My pearl is tough... I dropped it at least 6 or 7 times and it's functioning normally.
    Ouch!

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Glad to hear that it is small. Thanks for the info!
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

SkUbA0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240A0BB8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~all the blackberrys have the sim card thing. My 8700 did it all the time and they(very!) Few times I've dropped my 8800 it did it to so...