I'm so excited! Couple questions... What's the advantage of using wi-fi over edge? What is ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Jodiiii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22C9BCFE

Just got my 8320 in the mail!!

Advertisement

I'm so excited! Couple questions...

What's the advantage of using wi-fi over edge?

What is UMA?

Would it be bad to upgrade to 4.5 already?

Will DM recognize both my pearl and the curve? My daughter is going to take over the pearl..and just wondering if my current DM will work for both..

Thanks in advance for any info! I'm sure there will be more questions to come..lol

DocGo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me
    Congratulations Jodi.

Advantage of Wifi over Edge...well, if you are in an area with poor Edge (phone) coverage and has Wifi service, then you can still have your data (email, IM, etc). Also, if you are paying for limited data service (for example, only 25mb/month, then the wifi can augment that so you don't pay for exceeding the data limit). I don't know if you have UMA service (make phone calls using Wifi) but that can be another advantage.

Upgrading to 4.5...depends on how comfortable you are in doing this...there are posts in this message board on where to get it and how to install it. Advantages are...HTML emails, better browser experience, Documents to go, video recorder.

DM...better to load the latest one (again, maybe you have it with the CD in your 8320 or you can download from web). It should work with the Pearl and the Curve. You can use the DM to transfer your Pearl data to your Curve.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by DocGo; 09-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    8900-user
    DocGo

Brian80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The UMA calling is free calling while in a UMA area but thats only if you have the plan on your account the other advantage to it is if you are in a not so good service area you will get better service on UMA. I have the 4.5 on mine and I love it if thats something that you want I would say go for it. And the DM should work for both but I would make sure you have the most up to date version.

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I second everything DocGo said. As far as DM recognizing both, I've still got an old version of DM and it recognizes my Curve and my friend's Pearl.

Jodiiii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22C9BCFE
    Thanks for the replies!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I installed the 4.5 on my 8100 with the older version of DTM also. I had the 4.5 DTM, but felt it was too slow and unresponsive.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I am using DM 4.3 and use it for both my 4.5 curve 8320, and my 4.5 8120 Pearl. Wifi speeds definitely rock!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

mylexon20s no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B62A91
    Congrats!! I just got mine about a week ago. Used to have an 8800 and im loving the curve!