Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have ANY insight about the possibility of a 3G Curve??!!! I'm waiting to get ... BlackBerry Curve forum

doomed no está en línea Stack level 1

I've been searching high and low for an answer, but no luck (re: 3G 8300)

Advertisement

Anyone have ANY insight about the possibility of a 3G Curve??!!! I'm waiting to get a curve (I had the 1st gen on AT&T, but stupidly switched to a different phone)... now I want back on the BB bandwagon but am waiting for a 3g version for AT&T... am i going to be waiting a looooooooog time? I haven't heard any rumors that one is in development... but I'm praying it'll come soon!!

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: I've been searching high and low for an answer, but no luck (re: 3G 8300)

I've not heard anything about 3G...

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    3G kills the battery. So until they can make a battery that can really last, I wouldn't be in a hurry. Also, in the US, 3G isn't that much faster than EDGE.

doomed no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by E3BK View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    3G kills the battery. So until they can make a battery that can really last, I wouldn't be in a hurry. Also, in the US, 3G isn't that much faster than EDGE.
    Well, they added EVDO to a pearl, on verizon, so i figure a 3g shouldn't be too far away. Won't bother me if battery life goes from 4 days to 2... I charge it every night, so as long as it can go a day, I'll be fine.

I figure, add highspeed internet and GPS, and you have a perfect phone. No need for wifi if you have 3g or evdo.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I haven't even heard any of the usual pre-rollout development rumors. I'm not well connected by any stretch, but usually you hear the rumors before it happens.

I'm with the others. 3G battery life is horrible, I kinda hope they wait until the technology can work without killing the battery.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

About a Year ago, 3g BBs (9xxx series) were talked about in 4th quarter 07, but haven't heard much more except various rumors of sometime in 08.

Hopefully early.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Now now, I'm sure 2 days of batter life is fine for most people, though my 8830 (yes, the evil EVDO) does last at least 3-4 days. And by the way, EVDO is MUCH faster than EDGE. Realizing of course that "Fast" only depends on how you use it. You may not be able to tell much difference when you just using the BB as a browser on your device, but as a tethered modem or heavy downloads or as a Remote Desktop application it's critical.

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

3-4 days??? Wow. I charge mine every night also but that's because if I don't it'll day by morning of day 2. Damn 8310 battery.

Anyway, when I was a Nokia freak, my e70 would last days. I got the N75 because it was 3G. By battery was dead by the end of day 1 with normal use. I had BB connect on it and with 3G on all day...it was just a black hole of battery power.

And yes, the biggest difference with speed on a 3G phone vs EDGE is if you tether. But still not by much. Our US 3G system just isn't that great at this point. So I guess when they actually improve the 3g system, I'll be more inclined to see it on my BB. I'd much rather have a quad band w/ EDGE & WiFi. Now that's a clear difference in speed if you're surfing on your BB or tethering. I've never had an EVDO phone since I've never had Verizon.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

here is the answer, to be 3g in the US the phone has to have a 5th band. if you look at the specs you'll notice that 3g phone utilize 800mhz gsm which is the 5th band.. on a 3g phone voice is carried over 800mhz and data over 850mhz. this enables simultaneous activity of voice and data. the reason for increased battery usage if because like i said the radio is transmitting on 2 bands simultaneously instead of just the one. blackberry don't use 800 so everything happens on 850
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Only true for Cingular/AT$T. EVDO is considered 3G for the CDMA side and transmits on different bands (850MHz and 1900MHz depending on the carrier) than that and T-Mo is rolling out their 3G currently on the 1700 MHz bad range.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

A 3G BB is rumored for the US market sometime in 2008. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, it will be the 9000 series. But what it looks like, features and timing is anyones guess right now.

Personally, I don't see the value, as I don't surf that much, nor do I tether. But we really won't know how good or how necessary it is until it is out and about in the hands of users.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

i tehtered my treo on utms via bluetooth to my desktop and i was downloading at 250kbps which was great.

DOn't construe everyone else highspeed as being 3G. Cingular pioneered it and that is the technology the deployed to make it work. If other companies say they are using 3g it is because they are using cingular technology and most likely borrowing thier towers to be able to do it and yes it is a simple programming fix to make your tmobile phone say t-mobile and use 3G even though your on a cingular tower.

The other problem is that when the device does come to market it may not even be for the US market, because as I stated before T-Mo and AT$T are using different freqs for their 3G rollout. This means that the power amps and filters will have to be specially made for each device, as T-Mo devices won't get 3G usage on AT$T networks and vice versa. You will still be able to unlock each device and use it on the others network just not to the fullest degree and the same goes for international 3G as that is mainly on the 2100 MHz range. Hmmmm... gues we will have to wait for the first 8 band device to cover all os the bands????

I don't understand your post Jhowle, as a simple programming change will not allow a 1700MHz signal to operate on an 800Mhz signal (unless of course you are trying to deal with some strange 5 level harmonic, which still won't work). Cingular didn't pioneer the 3G technology, they only instituted the first GSM 3G in NA, they just modified the technology in use in Japan for the last 6 years or better to fit the US structure. In fact Japan is officially working on 4 to 4.5 G over there and the same thing is happening in Korea and Finland. In fact the technology that AT$T is using is modified technology that CDMA has been using (Verizon and Sprint which both have 3G and had it before AT$T) overlaid upon the GSM technology to make it perform better and more reliable with larger bandwidths possible than both of the older technologys.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

*** JUST A THOUGHT *** it is important to mention that this site is used world wide and as the above responce had mentioned the devices vary aswell. I know i tend to naturally assume that when trying to help someone that they are from the US or thier device is a US device when either may or not be. i think if your looking for help you device or service origin should be clearlyt stated in the first line that way you don't get a cingular answer when you need a vodaphone answer...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast