Greetings, I am contemplating upgrading my Pearl to a Curve (8310 vs 8320), and I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

c0de no está en línea Stack level 2

Is the Curve 8310 GPS Standalone ?

Advertisement

Greetings,
    I am contemplating upgrading my Pearl to a Curve (8310 vs 8320), and I wanted to see if the GPS on the 8310 is stand alone, as in it can work COMPLETELY WITHOUT RELYING ON THE DATAPLAN (for roaming locations where my dataplan is unavailable)

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    if you have a data plan i cannot say for sure if they will charge you but i know when Bell first got the 8800 i put a non active sim in it and the gps did work

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Using the GPS in standalone mode on the 8310 will work. You can see your latitude and longitude numbers.

But without a data plan you will be unable to see your position on any maps.

It's possible that some Garmin/Trimble type of gps/mapping software vendor might allow you load your phone with mapping data that allows you to see you location on a map without the use of a data plan.

tjhaskins76 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    244998F
    You can see your position on BB Maps using stand alone GPS on the 8310. I use it every day. There is a thread on here that shows you how to do it.

AT&T hides the icon. They want you to use the Subscription service Telenav.
    Also these carriers hide it. Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175).

Here's how to get it back.

Follow this path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.2.2.176_P2.5.0.34
    Find the LBS.alx (make a copy of it and paste to desktop leave origional there)
    Open up the copy
    Type CTRL+F and search for this net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod

You should see this right above what you just searched for.
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|175" series="~8800">

Just delete the 102| that I have highlighted in red above.
    Save the file.
    Copy and paste back into where the origional is and replace it.

Now connect up your BB and the Launch the Application Loader and make sure it's checked and load it up. IF that doesn't work just use the OTA download on the www.mobile.blackberry.com site to install it.
    Last edited by tjhaskins76; 10-22-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    T Haskins
    AF&AM
    Raeford Lodge 306

lilpbit no está en línea Stack level 2
    before i got a data plan with rogers (first week or so with my cureve i could not use the GPS at all. I think it depends on your carrier.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    You definitely need a data plan. They download the maps over the internet. If you don't have data, you have to load all the maps into your Curve. I doubt there is enough RAM to load all the maps for Canada and the US

As someone else mentioned. If you don't have data, all you get are the lattitude and longitude. Which is useless without a map for reference.

angelspot no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhaskins76 View Post
    You can see your position on BB Maps using stand alone GPS on the 8310. I use it every day. There is a thread on here that shows you how to do it.

AT&T hides the icon. They want you to use the Subscription service Telenav.
    Also these carriers hide it. Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175).

Here's how to get it back.

Follow this path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.2.2.176_P2.5.0.34
    Find the LBS.alx (make a copy of it and paste to desktop leave origional there)
    Open up the copy
    Type CTRL+F and search for this net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod

You should see this right above what you just searched for.
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|175" series="~8800">

Just delete the 102| that I have highlighted in red above.
    Save the file.
    Copy and paste back into where the origional is and replace it.

Now connect up your BB and the Launch the Application Loader and make sure it's checked and load it up. IF that doesn't work just use the OTA download on the www.mobile.blackberry.com site to install it.
    Hello, I tried that pathway, and it was just as you said right up to the filename, which wasn't there for me. So I tried the website link and it also wasn't there. You seem to really know your stuff, can you please update this info? The whole reason I bought this 8310 was for the GPS. Thank you!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Angel, you need to have your device OS installed on your PC in order to accomplish this. Have you done that?

angelspot no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yes I have. I tried the original OS first, since this is a dated post, and the pathway ended somewhere earlier than Loader Files. So I updated the OS and now.. it's as previously stated. What's the next step?