Ive been through 5 different flavors of Blackberries and I know that they sometimes have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

Is my Curve quirky?

Advertisement

Ive been through 5 different flavors of Blackberries and I know that they sometimes have their off days. I just got my curve last friday and have done all the setting changes, and the tweaks to save the battery. Ive got the wireless setup to work at the office, the house, and other places that I frequent. When I first brought my phone into the office it switched to uma instantly. Lately Ive been noticing that it doesnt want to switch to UMA at all. So Ive upgraded to the newest 8320 os (4.2.2.184) and Im still getting the same results. To find out what the problem is I checked the wifi status info and it says that it cannot get to the unc server. (punc.t-mobileuncs.com) Ive had that same problem on multiple networks. Ive tried to ping the server and the results tell me that the dns cannot be resolved.

Any idea of what could be causeing the problem? Bad dns tables?

Is there a set of addressess for the UNC server that could be added to the phone to make the connection more reliable?

Ive got 14 days before I cant return the phone. I dont want to, but if its not going to be reliable then I need to find a different solution. I probably keep it anyway, I love blackberries!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Is my Curve quirky?

Sounds like a carrier issue to me. If they have a problem with the server, either addressing you should contact the customer service and get their help.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    See the funny thing is I just reconnected. I'm going to sit on the fence for a while and see what it does. And if the problem continues I will be calling them.

neezy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2442ABB1

Exchange for the exact same phone. Tell them that one is having issues.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

I dont think that the problem is the phone. I think its network related (either the wireless net, or something between me and tmo)

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Yep sounds like network congestion of some sort or the DNS tables not being updated. I would not think it is the device. If you want, I would try turning off the wifi completely and then turning it back on the next time it happens to see if this resolve the issue. If not try a battery pull. Keep note of this and if it seems to resolve it everytime, then it could very well be a device issue, if not I would lean towards network issues. Next time it happens see if you can ping the server from a computer and this will tell you alot about the connection as well.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah it sounds like a network issue. Exchanging the phone isn't always the answer. You have to trouble shoot everything before you exchange the phone since its a lot more of a hassle for you and the company. If you can fix with a upgrade or its an issue on their end.

An exchange is the very last resort.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

It didn't post but im also wondering if the wireless in the phones are designed to roam across access points. ive noticed that if i move from one area to another (between ap's) it doesn't seem to keep a connection. Or i could be hitting a dead-zone.

You must go into wifi options, highlight a network, and then choose edit through the menu. In there you will find the option to set for inter access point handoff. I know that it seems stupid that it is not automatically defaulted to on, but that is the way it is configured.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    You must go into wifi options, highlight a network, and then choose edit through the menu. In there you will find the option to set for inter access point handoff. I know that it seems stupid that it is not automatically defaulted to on, but that is the way it is configured.
    Im figuring that this could be part of the issue. If the phone is trying to hold to one access point only, it going to screw my connection. Thanks for the info. I wouldnt have expected the hand-offs to be disabled.

Oh and it must be done for each network setup on your device. Changing it under one network only changes it on that network and not all networks setup opn your device.