I've had my Curve for a month now and had no aggravating issues until now. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jeanne4kats no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D4E203

Is my battery bad?

Advertisement

I've had my Curve for a month now and had no aggravating issues until now. For the past several days I've had to charge my phone more than once during a single day. I don't make a lot of calls and I only text occasionally and haven't texted or even gotten but just a few emails but my phone won't hold a charge.
    At first I wasn't turning it off to charge but when after it started running down so quick I have been so do I have a bad battery?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    it could possible be the battery but it could also be a setting or new app you have installed.have you done anything different since this started...like a new app....roaming more...or changed some setting like bluetooth (altho bluetooth is not a big drain)?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~one thing to do is, let your battery die and fully recharge it, then don't recharge it again until it fully dies. This will keep the life and max life usuage of the battery up. I understand in some situations you can't "Not" carge the battery for some reason. But it does keep the batteries at top notch. Same thing you have to do with laptops and other "info lithium" batteries.

Buying an external charger and spare battery does wonders (if you kill your batter during the day)

Hope this helps

-J

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Hang on just a minute before you go through all that!!

First of all, your phone has a lithium-ion battery in it. It is NOT necessary to run it all the way down (in fact, you're better off not to!!) That was true with Ni-cad and Ni-Mhd batteries, but not so with Li-ion.

Second - have you tried restarting your phone? You can do so by one of two methods: A) remove the battery cover, remove your battery, wait about 10 seconds, re-install your battery and cover, or B) press ALT-Right Shift-DEL at the same time.

I had a problem where I had gone to a web site that I think had a javascript problem - it kept trying to load the site and even though I had closed the app, the javascript was still running in the background resulting in my battery going down VERY rapidly.

After a restart, I had no issues until I visited that same web site, then it started happening all over again. Needless to say, I don't go to that one any longer!

David

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    here we go back to the battery argument again. Lithium-Ion batteries are one of the great inventions for mobile devices is be cause it has NO MEMORY! this means you DO NOT have to drain the battery first before recharging (Charge them any and all the time!). Every time you do drain it you loose a life cycle of the battery (going below 20% of charge or when the battery icon on the phone goes red). the Battery usually has around 500....ish. What i would recommend is that for the next couple of days you set you phone to power off and then power back on during the middle of the night while it is charging for 30 mins. this way it shuts down the possible programs you are using that are draining the battery that you forgot to turn off earlier. and shutting it down every once in a while is good for it. they call them "smartphones" for a reason. they are a miniature computers and shutting any computer down (unless it is a mac.... PM me if you want more on this) helps it run better. so try setting the auto power on and off feature for a couple of days and see if that fixes the problem if is does not fix it then just get a new battery. they cost something like 25 bucks (i could be wrong). or you can do like this guy said but only do the cycle twice. if that doesn't work then you are defiantly looking for a new battery. sorry

oh and by the way, this goes for you laptop battery too. on top of that if you dont use the battery of the laptop take it out. the trickle charge that leaving it pugged in all the time will make the battery lose its life 2X as fast. seen it before and goes back to the old saying of if you dont use it you loose it.
    Last edited by JCG3; 09-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

jeanne4kats no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D4E203

Not that this an answer to my own question:

Well, while I was out running a few errands I stopped by the Sprint Store where I got the phone. I told them my problem, put my name on the list and waited about 15 minutes (even for a Sunday that was a long wait for repair service) anyway I finally got called and they didn't even check the phone or battery, just took old one out put it back in and handed me another battery.

I asked him if that was a used battery, (it wasn't in a package ) but they apparently keep some on hand and he said they weren't used but none the less he just gave me the battery as a spare, so not sure what will happen but I do have a spare battery!!!

Now all I need is a charger that will charge a battery without having to put it in the phone to charge. Are there any around for a BB Battery, like the Palm's have a desktop charger with a spare battery door on it, now that was handy to have.

Actually I do believe that something was running in background because hourglass and the arrows at top were working more than usual but I don't know how to check to see. That is what the arrows me isn't it, something trying to connect?

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Good for you!! You came out of this like a champ! There is a BB desktop charger that will charge your phone and 2nd battery. However, I suspect that you'll be fine with just restarting it. Always nice to have a spare though.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've noticed that regardless of the phone, if your in roaming, it will eat your battery and can die within hours. Had an 8830 and a Moto Q with an extended battery and both phones were dead in four hours while in Hilo, HI. Happens here in FL as well. I thought I read something that stated the power consumption is also greater when your further away from a tower. I have one about a mile from ny job and the one by my house is about three miles away. My battery lasts a lot longer at work than at home so there may be truth behind this. I think I found the info on Wikipedia while doing a search on CDMA. Could be in my head too...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~