hey, I've had issues sync'ing my Curve 8330 with my PC recently. Initially, It connected ... BlackBerry Curve forum

seafarer282 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down ** Is it a flaw in the device??

Advertisement

hey, I've had issues sync'ing my Curve 8330 with my PC recently.

Initially, It connected fine with my 2 home PC's, with 2 different cables.
    Recently though, I've tried to have it detected by my PC through DM for the last 2 days, uninstalled DM, reinstalled it, with different versions of DM both new/old, deleted/re-installed drivers, etc... All to no avail... and all this after it worked fine initially. I pretty well did everything I had researched on google, then I read this:

<QUOTE:
    If that doesn't work try the following CAREFULLY!!!!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK EITHER THE CORD OR PORT ON THE PHONE.

Connect the phone to the computer and the press very hard on the connection to the phone..... AGAIN VERY CAREFULLY, but put as much pressure as you can without breaking anything.... If it connects to the dm then it is an issue with the phone and you need a new one.

Before anyone jumps me on this, I talk from experiance I have had this problem on a one week old curve. the phone started to split and this was the only thing that worked to get it to sync and switch to the new phone and it is also the reason I say because, because I DID break a cord doing this.... The phone would connect and then imeditaly disapear. My IT guy even looked at it.... Deleted all the usb drivers and when it still wouldn't work, happened to glance at the pone an notice it was splitting.

Posted from my **ackBerry at wapforums.**ackberry.com
    Last edited by chelseytx : 04-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.

UNQUOTE>

After having read this article, and tried it with success, I now have an elastic band attached to my USB cable, which keeps the connection snug, and am able to connect to my PC(s) with only occasional issues.
    - I have not contacted the RIM support hotlline, but suspect they would only send me a new one since it's only a month old, that would soon have the same issues.

If this is the case, should RIM be looking at a more reliable way of ensuring a connection between PC and the phone, maybe a recall of sorts to follow (yeah, i know that's a bad word when it comes to Industry)???.

Food for though, hope it works for you, and glad to help.

G

Go Habs!!!
    Last edited by seafarer282; 04-13-2009 at 05:08 PM.

marine7896 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have an 8330 but I haven't had that problem as of yet and I've had my BB for about 6 months. Thanks for the heads up I will have to watch out for this.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Mine seems to be fine and I've had it for about a year

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    "Connect the phone to the computer and the press very hard on the connection to the phone..... AGAIN VERY CAREFULLY, but put as much pressure as you can without breaking anything.... If it connects to the dm then it is an issue with the phone and you need a new one."

I'm at a loss on pressing very hard AND very carefully on a USB connection?

If it's broken or loose, replace it.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ same here cobra .. no pressing hard on anything on my bb

i'm guessing if its hardware failure, you can get a replacement if the berry isn't older than a year ...

oconnke1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had this same problem on my 8830 World Edition. I also used a rubber band! Great minds think alike. Sometimes I wrapped the usb cord around the device to hold it steady while I synced. I brought it to Sprint and they confirmed the problem was with the connector on the side of the device. They sent it to the BlackBerry support center (in Texas I think) at my request, because I didn't buy the ripoff insurance and it was > 12 months old. Long story short, I now have had my 8330 for 6 months w/o issue.

You don't have to "push hard" to have it detected. BEFORE you connect the cable to the PC, wrap the cord under and back over the top 2 times to hold it steady. If that allows the PC to detect it, return your BlackBerry for a replacement. (You have to wrap the cord around the BlackBerry before you connect it to the PC. If you don't and you lose the connection, you have to reboot the PC b4 you can try it again. I think this is a Microsoft Windows feature. lol )

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnke1 View Post
    I had this same problem on my 8830 World Edition.
    That is a very common problem with 8800 series phones. varying on who you talk to sometimes it is a very touchy issue if you try to get it warrantied because ultimately it is the user that sticks that cord in and out to connect it to a pc or charger. You should never have any difficulty whatsoever sticking the mini usb connector onto your phone. If there is any struggle in any way the first thing I would do is see if the black piece in the middle of the USB input is loose. I find this to be the common problem. Very seldomly I have found the outer metal casing to be the culprit but with a very small needlenose plyer you should be able to bend it back into place.

My 8830 has been rock solid for the last 2 yrs.
    Flawless phone!

mouseman225 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah something like this happened to my first curve. I couldn't connect to PC or even charge it without having the cord at EXACTLY the right angle. Anyway, I took it back to alltel an they tried tellin me it was MY fault it wasn't working. WHAT?! They tried to get me to pay the rediculous 90 dollar insurance deductible. I went home an called some hotline an they sent me a new one and evaluated my old one to see if it WAS my fault. Luckily they decided it was manufacturer defect an let me keep my new one. I hate alltel customer service.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    That happened to me with my 8320 but a batt pull solved the issue

jbrill1012 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30B7FF06
    Quote Originally Posted by seafarer282 View Post
    hey, I've had issues sync'ing my Curve 8330 with my PC recently.

Initially, It connected fine with my 2 home PC's, with 2 different cables.
    Recently though, I've tried to have it detected by my PC through DM for the last 2 days, uninstalled DM, reinstalled it, with different versions of DM both new/old, deleted/re-installed drivers, etc... All to no avail... and all this after it worked fine initially. I pretty well did everything I had researched on google, then I read this:

<QUOTE:
    If that doesn't work try the following CAREFULLY!!!!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK EITHER THE CORD OR PORT ON THE PHONE.

Connect the phone to the computer and the press very hard on the connection to the phone..... AGAIN VERY CAREFULLY, but put as much pressure as you can without breaking anything.... If it connects to the dm then it is an issue with the phone and you need a new one.

Before anyone jumps me on this, I talk from experiance I have had this problem on a one week old curve. the phone started to split and this was the only thing that worked to get it to sync and switch to the new phone and it is also the reason I say because, because I DID break a cord doing this.... The phone would connect and then imeditaly disapear. My IT guy even looked at it.... Deleted all the usb drivers and when it still wouldn't work, happened to glance at the pone an notice it was splitting.

Posted from my **ackBerry at wapforums.**ackberry.com
    Last edited by chelseytx : 04-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.

UNQUOTE>

After having read this article, and tried it with success, I now have an elastic band attached to my USB cable, which keeps the connection snug, and am able to connect to my PC(s) with only occasional issues.
    - I have not contacted the RIM support hotlline, but suspect they would only send me a new one since it's only a month old, that would soon have the same issues.

If this is the case, should RIM be looking at a more reliable way of ensuring a connection between PC and the phone, maybe a recall of sorts to follow (yeah, i know that's a bad word when it comes to Industry)???.

Food for though, hope it works for you, and glad to help.

G

Go Habs!!!

Having been a technician I can tell you it's not an issue with the device but with the user of the device. Very rarely did I ever see a bad solder joint on a BB device.... (never to be exact) I'm not saying it can't happen, but most of the time it was a user error. It's 1 of 3 things... loose solder joint, broken pin(near the board), or broken pin inside the charge port.

What I saw most of the time was a broken pin at the top back side of the port. This would be from to much pressure being put against the charge port. I did see a few instances where there was a loose connection on the board from a bad solder joint which is easily repaired. The later usually happens over time.

Depending on how you are with tools and electronics to replace a charge port on a BB device is rather simple. Heat gun and a pair of needle nose pliers and you're well on your way, you just have to be careful not to get the board or port to hot and give proper cool down time.

Agreed.

I used my 8830 exactly 2 yrs.
    It's been plugged in so many times during that period, that the whole connection should have popped out 10 times already.

The ONLY problem I ever had was that the trackball had to be replaced at 22 months old.

If everything was as good as my 8830, all new sales would stop for a few years
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)