I have a Curve 8300 with an iBlue 737 bluetooth GPS receiver (MTK Chipset). It ... BlackBerry Curve forum

matthiasj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243C4CBB

Is Built-In GPS Really That Much Better...?

Advertisement

I have a Curve 8300 with an iBlue 737 bluetooth GPS receiver (MTK Chipset). It works very well, connects to satellites very quickly and has very good battery life. Now I understand the convenience of having the GPS built-in, but it is "superior" to bluetooth GPS receivers? Is the battery drain the built-in GPS puts on the device better or worse than having bluetooth on and using a puck?

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Re: Is Built-In GPS Really That Much Better...?

3 phones ago I had a HP Ipaq 6510 I think was the model. It had built in GPS and it was in no way nearly as good or accurate as my puck. However it was very convenience that wherever I was, whoever was driving I had full GPS without worrying I left my puck in my car. Granted this was a few years ago. It also required that I update the LTO software every couple of days to help it find the satellites quicker. If I didn't do that it was virtually unusable. Doing so was as easy as syncing over the air or putting it in the cradle. I don't know if they have improved the GPS that is built in on the Curve over what was built in on the IPAQ. If it is truly every bit as good as my puck I would prefer to have it built in but if it is not as good I prefer the puck.

PIN/ID
    243C4CBB

Quote Originally Posted by pcwizpcwiz
    3 phones ago I had a HP Ipaq 6510 I think was the model. It had built in GPS and it was in no way nearly as good or accurate as my puck. However it was very convenience that wherever I was, whoever was driving I had full GPS without worrying I left my puck in my car. Granted this was a few years ago. It also required that I update the LTO software every couple of days to help it find the satellites quicker. If I didn't do that it was virtually unusable. Doing so was as easy as syncing over the air or putting it in the cradle. I don't know if they have improved the GPS that is built in on the Curve over what was built in on the IPAQ. If it is truly every bit as good as my puck I would prefer to have it built in but if it is not as good I prefer the puck.
    exactly, if the built-in is as good as my puck then i want it built in.

Eloquence no está en línea Stack level 2

I would stick with the puck. Even though you have to carry around two devices, pucks are generally better at picking up signal and not draining your battery as much.

Love my puck, 8320 user here, and it pairs wonderfully. Wouldn't trade it.

-Elo

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

The only reason why I want built in is because I use my BT headset all the time when driving and to the best of my knowledge, I can't use a BT puck and headset at the same time on my Blackberry. The GPS is the ONLY thing I'm missing on the 8300 that I have on my 8800. I'll get the 8310 when the wife says it's ok.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

PIN/ID
    243C4CBB

Quote Originally Posted by audit
    The only reason why I want built in is because I use my BT headset all the time when driving and to the best of my knowledge, I can't use a BT puck and headset at the same time on my Blackberry. The GPS is the ONLY thing I'm missing on the 8300 that I have on my 8800. I'll get the 8310 when the wife says it's ok.
    i thought you could do that.

m.a.t. no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by matthiasj
    i thought you could do that.
    I thought you could too. Anyone know for sure? I'm going to try with my puck and headset next time I get a chance.

My thoughts are if you already have an 8300 and a puck there's certainly no reason to upgrade. Pucks are so small they are not much of an inconvenience. And they use less of your battery. If you have the choice between an 8310 and 8320 IMO get the 8320 and use a puck because then you have a device with WiFi, GPS, and camera.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

IMO get the 8320 and use a puck because then you have a device with WiFi, GPS, and camera.
    i second that.

I had no complaints with 8800 GPS except the battery drain. Wasnt really big deal with car charger.
    How long is an average battery life of a puck

PIN/ID
    243C4CBB

it depends on the puck but mine lasts around 13 hours on a full charge, but having bluetooth on does drain the battery a little

dicin no está en línea Stack level 2

I have used BB 8300 with puck and BB8310. Both are excellent.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

My pearl will connect to my Bluetooth carkit and my puck at the same time. An odd time it does get confussed but I just reconnect and its ok then. I use this set up all the time

hpak no está en línea Stack level 3

Just upgraded to the 8310 & I'm having waaaaay too much fun with a built-in GPS. Less clutter and less things to carry! Next best thing would be a curve with GPS, wi-fi & 3G!!!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Tell the wife to hurry and bless u audit... the 8310 is the 8300 with just what u want... i too, use my BT all the time for my headset, file transfers etc... didn't want to add another BT device (GPS) - 8310 finds sats quickly and being inherent to the device is working like a charm...

Good luck - I see a big lobster dinner, flowers, candy and massages for your Mrs. in her near future...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

bkeaver no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

That isnt true Audit, I have a Holux M1000 puck and I use it and my bluetooth headset at the same time. It works great with no issues!

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional

Ok well I don't have a curve but I do have an 8800.

the battery drain is irrelevant if you have it connected to a car charger. The connection itself is flawless and it sure beats carrying around another small item in your pocket/purse.

The idea of a smart phone is to minimize the objects you normally carry. Imho, buy the 8310. My 8800, in spite of not having a camer, is by far the best bb I've owned.

But don't let my opinion sway you! Choose what's good for you.