Okay guys so I need some help. In December, the wife and I are going ... BlackBerry Curve forum

adamjay79 no está en línea Stack level 3

International Travel - Please Help

Advertisement

Okay guys so I need some help. In December, the wife and I are going to London for 10 days. I want to be able to take my 8310 with me in case there is an emergency, or I need to make a phone call, but I do not want to be charged a fortune when emails come through. According to ATT in order for me to get an internation data plan for my BB, I have to sign a one year contract on the plan it self. Something I am not willing to do, since it is only for 10 days. The voice plan they say I can add or remove any time that I want. Does anyone else have some good suggestions, or perhaps other options for when I am in London. My phone is unlocked. Thanks in advance for your help.

bpd
    bpd no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: International Travel - Please Help

I'd just use your phone as is ... that't the whole idea behind a world phone ..

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by adamjay79 View Post
    Okay guys so I need some help. In December, the wife and I are going to London for 10 days. I want to be able to take my 8310 with me in case there is an emergency, or I need to make a phone call, but I do not want to be charged a fortune when emails come through. According to ATT in order for me to get an internation data plan for my BB, I have to sign a one year contract on the plan it self. Something I am not willing to do, since it is only for 10 days. The voice plan they say I can add or remove any time that I want. Does anyone else have some good suggestions, or perhaps other options for when I am in London. My phone is unlocked. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Get the International Voice Roaming feature and go to Options/Mobile Network and Set Data Service to Off when you board the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by bpd View Post
    I'd just use your phone as is ... that't the whole idea behind a world phone ..
    Have you seen the data rates the companies charge for international data roaming?

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Get the 8320 and use wi-fi for data. (Hey if I didn't say it somebody would). But seriously, I agree, just set data to off when when roaming option, or just data off period (is it really that important on your trip?

JPREP no está en línea Stack level 2

Is there an option where you ask the device only to push a certain portion of email, such as headings only? I know I had my Dash do that last time I was abroad, that way it didn't download full messages I didn't need to read, and I could chose the ones I wanted. Also, setting the device to Wi-Fi and browsing on Wi-Fi connections made me not incur any charges (even though at the time T-Mobile did not have a rolled out HotSpot program... interesting, but I wasn't going to complain).

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

You could always get a prepaid SIM card since your phone is unlocked:
    http://www.britishsims.com/

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3

Get your phone unlocked and then pick up a SIM. I'm a big fan of Orange, but if you want to know about prepaid SIMs, then go to http://www.prepaidgsm.net.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Yeah but that wouldn't solve the data questions he is asking about as with a prepaid SIM you wouldn't be acessing your native providers settngs for data to work. Or am I completely out in left field with my thinking and it would be possible to still get your data with a prepaid SIM??

JPREP no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't believe so. What if you turn off push, and fwd messages to an online account, such as gmail or yahoo, and check it on the website. Then you can just see the subjects, and you're not transfering as much data. Any messages you need to reply to, you can.

adamjay79 no está en línea Stack level 3

rcbjr - thanks for your help. That would be a great option if I just wanted to make the occassional phone call for an emergency. However, it is important to me that I be able to access my email while I am abroad. That is why turning off data won't work. Also, do not think the prepaid carriers offer me the data option. I can get unlimited BB data for $64.99 a month (as opposed to my $44.99 I pay now). I would not have a problem with this if it was for the month only, but ATT is telling me that I would have to sign a year contract on this. Perhaps someone here from ATT can chime in.

Also, rcnjr - data rates without the plan are .195 cents per kb. Calls seem high too. $1.29 p/ minute, and if you do not answer a call and send it to voice mail, they charge $2.60 p/min when the VM is being left, and then $1.29 per min when you are checking it.
    Last edited by adamjay79; 11-19-2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Addl info

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

International telephone calls and data are expensive without the Roaming Plans. I don't understand why AT&T changed their data roaming feature to a contract plan but apparently they did.

It's going to be an economic trade off. How much is having you email worth to you? Can I find an alternate method? Those sort of questions. I suggest taking a laptop, and using that.

I agree it is frustrating but international agreements between Telecoms have not kept up with our desires for cheap data roaming.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles