hi.. i tried to do a search and didn't find anything but have been wondering: ... BlackBerry Curve forum

one68 no está en línea Stack level 1

Instant messaging & text charges

Advertisement

hi.. i tried to do a search and didn't find anything but have been wondering:

if you're in a wifi network and use the instant messaging services (aim/yim/etc), do text charges apply?

also, i read that the uma is pointless unless you're subscribed to H@H (i.e. minutes are still being used); is that right?

TIA....

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    As for your first question, that depends on the software you are using to access IM services. If they use text messaging, then it doesn't matter if you are on wi-fi or not charges will apply. The charges you will get do not differentiate between being on wi-fi or not, they depend on how the message is transmitted.

As for UMA, it can be a nice additional tool to have on your phone. I personally don't use UMA due to issues with reconnecting with the cellular network when I leave wi-fi. For those that are in wi-fi networks all day long, it helps if there is no cell or minimal cell signal where you are at. You are correct about the H@H feature.

Zo

hi, thnx for the response. i was referring to the built in IM services that come with the phone. if i use those, would i be charged a text msg fee?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I don't know. I deleted or hid all the extra junk the carrier installed and downloaded the original IM programs (Yahoo and Google are all I use) from their websites. I can tell you for a fact that Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk that I installed from their websites uses data. I don't do text messaging so I don't even have a package on my account for it. I communicate with everyone through messengers, email, or pin.

Zo

awesome.. do you use AIM? i can't seem to find a mobile d/l option for AIM
    thanx for the confirmation!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by one68 View Post
    hi, thnx for the response. i was referring to the built in IM services that come with the phone. if i use those, would i be charged a text msg fee?
    If you're referring to BlackBerry Messenger, then no, that is PIN to PIN messaging between other BlackBerry users and that is included in your data plan.

I don't use any other messenger, so cannot advise you on those intelligently.