I got my 8310 Curve w ATT yesterday. Test to see if my profile shows ... BlackBerry Curve forum

alvik no está en línea Stack level 1

Installing and uninstalling, does it leave probs behind?

Advertisement

I got my 8310 Curve w ATT yesterday. Test to see if my profile shows my machine w software versions , if not I'll add it later.

edit... V4.2.2.170 Platform 2.5.0.30

I like to keep my computers clean from any unwanted software, they run better that way. Too bad I have to spend 3 hours everytime I buy a new one to uninstall all the extra software and trialware on the system. I use XpPro and sometimes after removing programs with control panel add/remove there are remnants left in unwanted places that need to be removed in other ways.

I've cleaned up my sisters system multiple times ( it was bloated and slow ) since she loved to try out different things.

I see that many here like to install and try different programs. Does the bb software have similar problems as MS?

Can you cram the memory with too many apps? probably...
    If you delete a program is it cleaned from the handheld completely or do I need to learn how to remove all traces of it with additional steps?
    Is there a way to see total memory and % used?
    If so, is there a recomendation of how much to keep free?

I've learned a lot on this site, and I'm just beginning, thanks to all who post here.
    Last edited by alvik; 10-23-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Installing and uninstalling, does it leave probs behind?

Too many apps? Well a lot of people I know have many apps on their BB and it doesn't hurt it, I tend to run less than 10 apps as that is just my preference.
    This is a way you can clean your memory:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...sms_mms_e.html
    To delete a program you can go about that two ways, from DM, App loader, uncheck and next and remove it that way or in Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Menu>Delete the app you want.
    This will remove it from your BB. It should be removed completely. Unlike PC's where programs tend to remain in your registry.
    To see total memory used on handheld hit Shift/Alt/H all at the same time and this will show you File Free and total File available at the bottom. It will also give you your OS and Platform info as well as other useful info about your device.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

alvik no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks Lavagirl. I've been reading about memory usage and removing unwanted apps. I currently have 8 apps running

Home Screen
    net_in_escreen_app
    Camera
    Push to Talk
    BB Messenger
    Browser

What of this can be removed?

The only changes I made were to add Google Maps and change my theme to the BB Dimension Zen.

I cleaned my logs with Alt LGLG
    I cleaned the browser cache

I have a 2 gig Sandisk microSD installed

Current status is -89 dBm seems to be a good signal, EDGE with 4 or 5 bars
    19,515,556 File free
    54,919,168 File total

I'll check if other languages are listed and delete if so but haven't found any yet. Actally I have loaded the DM onto pc but haven't connected the handset yet.

It seems that one way to open up a lot of memory is to reduce the memory limits in the Media Player. My current is 12 MB Device Memory Limit and 2 MB Reserved Picture Limit. Can these be set to zero? If not what is the recommended low limit.

Any other ideas? I'm looking for a .....how to keep your bb lean and mean....tutorial. :>

Thanks for your reply. I'm amazed at this device. I upgraded about a decade of handheld tech in one leap, from a simple flip phone using voice only to the 8310.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

Im also very anal about keeping my phone "clean"

My open applications are browser, home, phone, messages, and jivetalk...

I see that you have camera, ptt, call log, and bb messenger running.... U should be able to close camera and call log from running.. It seems to me that you might not properly exiting out of programs correctly... You should be pressing "back" to exit a program and NOT the call hang up buttn...

There's a way to prevent ptt from being installed on the phone if you never use it.... Also bb messenger may not be for everyone and you can prevent that from being installed as we'll...

Another way to save some memory is to uninstall any unused languages/themes...

My stats

25688976 bytes free
    55443456 bytes total

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I have 28 apps on my phone, they are user installed. I also have many ringtones and 4 or 5 themes. I don't really see performance issues, but I may be used to the speed. Pictures are on my card. My info is

File free 20930893
    File total 55445456

I guess you can use this as a comparason.

Make sure when deleting an app to check the modules as well and make sure they are gone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl
    Too many apps? Well a lot of people I know have many apps on their BB and it doesn't hurt it, I tend to run less than 10 apps as that is just my preference.
    Thanks for the useful post.

Now I know why my BB hangs from time to time, as I had 83 apps on it. I always thought more is better......just kidding.

Actually I would typically just leave the apps on it that came with it and hide the icons. Now I'm going to remove them as I like your idea of running a minimum of apps. After all, why run something that I never use?

Cheers....

jmajluf no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21ABC057
    I need to delete the preloaded pics that come with the 8310.
    How do I do it?
    Thanks.