Is it possible to have different ring tones for different people in my address book? ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bullsfan80586 no está en línea Stack level 2

Individualized Ring Tones

Advertisement

Is it possible to have different ring tones for different people in my address book? I want a "special" one for my ex-wife, but a different one for my daughter.

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

Re: Individualized Ring Tones

Go to Phone Book > Menu > Add Custom Phone Tune

jailbaitryan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E3AA4A

There is a different way, I use it to assign specific tones for phone calls as well as texts from different people, you know... to distinguish them apart, etc...

Go to Profiles> Advanced>New Profile, where you create and name a profile for the person or group of peoples' in which you want different tones, ie: scroll to phone and change their tune to "Ringer_BBpro_4" or whatever you would like, or; sms text, and change their sms tune to something else, separate from what your active profile uses... and then>Save the profile>Scroll down where it says "Use active profile except for:">Select "New exception" and make a new exception, in which you add names from your address book in the area where it says "From:" You then scroll to where it says "Use Profile" and change it from Active Profile to your new super cool profile that you made for whomever, be it ex-wife or daughter.

Yeah, I'm not too savvy with the ">" thing. I hope I haven't confused anyone...

Well, yeah, so bullsfan, either way you do it, be it takadante's way or mine, would work quite well.

Care to share what "special" ringtone you had in mind?

Personally, for my ex, her ringtone is "all my ex's live in texas" just to share with the whole world.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Takadante's noted method is what I and most that I know have used... i have done Profile Exceptions as jail described but for groups of people... like my IT team of 4 people have that same ringtone...

However, I have never seen anyone get separate SMS tones... i haven't tried that method.

FYI - when u add a separate ringtone for someone... it will appear on the Profile Exceptions page as well - listed at the bottom

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Creating a custom profile and exception works great for assigning to people so that you get the ringtone for them no matter if it is a phone call, email, or SMS.

Just be aware that the profile and exception will work in all instances, no matter what profile you have selected.

So if you work in a job where you need to keep the phone on vibrate or silent at different times of the day, you need to be careful.

I learned this the hard way when my ex-wife's tone, Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" started blaring through my office one morning.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

bajjisw no está en línea Stack level 1

On a tmo 8320, if you added a my faves contact from your addressbook, before you associated a ring tone with that addressbook entry, you will have to change the ring tone from the myfaves menu, not from the address book and not from the exceptions.

It only took me a day. Argh !

kdc71 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Just be aware that the profile and exception will work in all instances, no matter what profile you have selected.

So if you work in a job where you need to keep the phone on vibrate or silent at different times of the day, you need to be careful.

I've been trying to set up a 'sleeping' profile so that when I am sleeping during the day, only family and the school can call me, but everyone else still rings through if they have a custom ring tone....I guess this is why..... I've only been trying to figure this out for MONTHS off and on.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

you can just go into that person's entry in the address book like you're going to edit it. hit the menu button and there's an option to assign a custom ring tone. much easier than making profiles and what not.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Yes that is true, but the profiles allows one to change the SMS, MMS, and other tomes specifically for that profile and those associated with it. This makes it so you can have custom tones for SMS from a specific person or group of people. This is handy if you are into that sort of thing. I don't text and the only one that I pin is my wife, so it is just like having custom pin and SMS tones for me all of the time.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bajjisw View Post
    On a tmo 8320, if you added a my faves contact from your addressbook, before you associated a ring tone with that addressbook entry, you will have to change the ring tone from the myfaves menu, not from the address book and not from the exceptions.

It only took me a day. Argh !
    I know this has been a while, but this solved my issue. For the life of me, i couldn't figure out why my custom ringtones were not working till I read this post. Thanks!

rustyp no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a Pearl 8130 (Verizon) and I can't get it to set individual ring tones BY PERSON for SMS and MMS messages - Only for phone calls. I can change the SMS message tones but it applies to EVERYONE who texts me. Does anyone know of a way to do it? I would really like to have that feature but I don't think it can be done on the 8130. Any help would be appreciated.

rustyp no está en línea Stack level 1

Actually, I figured out a way for SMS messages but *NOT* for MMS messages. On the 8130 you must go to profiles and create one for each person or group that you want to have a unique tone for. Then you add an exception and assign that profile to the exception. You cannot have an exception for the person, such as one created from the contacts list, or you must uncheck it so it isn't used. If anyone knows how to make it work for MMS messages - I would like to know.

kscott66 no está en línea Stack level 1

Profile Exceptions Question

I have a Blackberry 8100 through T-Mobile with the My Faves paln. I am having a very hard time setting new profile exceptions alert tones for text messages ect. I know how to make new profiles and exceptions. My problem is when I set a ringtone in the My Faves menu, it creates an exception by itself in the exception lilst which it will not let me edit it. When I try to create a new profile and exception and move it first in the list, the phone just reverts back to the default ringtone and alerts. When I create a new profile and exception for someone not set as a My Faves, it works fine. Can anyone help me with this? Or is this just the way it is? Thanks.

pelican3311 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Yes, but...

I cracked up during one of these posts when someone said, "Dude, don't hate the berry..." cuz after a week of trying to get this darn thing set-up, I could feel that original questionnaire's pain!! However, NOW I'm becoming a little more proficient & do love it, so those having trouble - keep the faith, it gets better. WAYYYY better.

Technicality for all you gurus... got all my custom profiles set, they all seemed to be working fine... then I got a call w/ a voicemail message. The ringtone came thru fine & as set for a friend of mine, but the voicemail identifier for the message they left picked up the ringtone associated w/ the last SMS I'd received - my son's custom tone. In other words, Carol called me, Carol's ringtone came through, but when she left a message, I got Bobby's ringtone identifier. Same thing happens when any sms or voicemail notification comes through for someone not in my phone book (i.e. "unknown"). It comes thru w/ that same last sms received ringtone - whoever that might've been. I've checked & double checked all the presets - they're set correctly to the default tone I want when someone calls outside the phonebook. I was so excited to finally get all these profiles down!!! Then I ran into this issue. It's just a petty thing... but it's a grievance nonetheless.

Anyone???

p.s. Worth noting. If you set up or clean up your address book 1st & apply custom ringtones per entry before you start messing with the profile section... a custom exception automatically sets up in your profiles list (at the bottom as "Calls from: Joe, Bobby, Carol, etc). Instead of creating new exceptions, you can use these for those that apply to your custom profiles - simply menu click on the hi-lited exception & change the exception as noted in this post (from Active Profile to the profile you create). Granted the exception is the easy part to get through, but it still might save a few steps!