Hi all, I've had my Curve for about two weeks now and I'm somewhat pleased ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mayowa no está en línea Stack level 1

Impressions of the Curve after two weeks + Is there a bug with the address book?

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've had my Curve for about two weeks now and I'm somewhat pleased with it.

Was a Symbian user (Nokia) for years and coming from that OS my impression is that BBs are excellent PDAs with so-so phone functionality, while Nokias are excellent phones with so-so PDA functionality.

Case in point - I've always saved my phone numbers (even local numbers) in international dialling format. I travel a bit and doing this I don't need to memorize country codes. I transferred all my contacts from my Nokia to my Curve (via Outlook), and naturally, they got transferred in international dialling format (pluses and all). But I then noticed that when people call me, the Curve only shows the number and not the name.

So for example, if I have say Joe Somebody saved as +234 803 123 4567, when Joe calls me I see the number 0803 123 4567, and I don't see his name. Seems the BB needs the number exactly as it comes from the network.

No problem I say, so I change the number formats. Guess what? Now I can't see the names of people that send me text messages (the message server sends them in international dialling format)!

I've found a work-around for this, but I will have to go through all 500 contacts one at a time for it to work (the work around is to save each mobile number in both formats).

Got fed up after doing this for 10 contacts, so that's why I'm posting. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that it's not a bug, coz I'm really getting frustrated here.

Thanks,

Mayowa

PS.

Other things I'm not happy about:
    1. Battery needs to be charged nightly
    2. There's an echo when making calls
    3. Trackball is a pain when navigating to text at the far right of the screen
    4. Too many steps required to change the profile
    5. My operator not allowing us to use BBs as modems under the BB data plan (one of the major reasons I bought the phone!)
    6. Not being able to send text messages from my PC (standard feature on Nokias)
    7. Having to buy some apps that are standard on Nokias (world clock, voice recorder, etc)
    Things I ABSOLUTELY LOVE:
    1. Having unlimited fixed price data access 24/7 (BBs are the only option for this in my country right now)
    2. Standby mode
    3. The QWERTY key board (what a joy!)
    4. Jive Talk (what an application!)
    5. Unified messaging (having text messages, PINs and emails all in one box)
    6. The size of the device (makes the Nokia E61i - the only other phone I considered - look like a brick; a large one at that!)
    7. The way the apps are so integrated (sending mails from IMs works just like on a PC)
    8. The ease with which I can copy and paste (sweet!)
    9. The way you get a part of the menu when you press the track ball but can get the full menu if you need it

Like I said, for me Nokias are phones first, PDAs second, while BBs are PDAs first, phones second. Now I understand why some of my friends carry two devices, using the BB only for data and their Nokias only for voice.

Re: Impressions of the Curve after two weeks + Is there a bug with the address book?

This post is getting a lot of views, but no one has answered the question - is there a bug with the address book? Help please; I'm losing it here

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Impressions of the Curve after two weeks + Is there a bug with the address book?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I've had the curve since the Saturday it was released with no problems with the actual device itself. I've had a few connection issues but that was a tmobile thing, and its resolved now. I have not had any problens with the address book at all. But I don't have double contacts going with international country codes either.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3

Well, I don't have any problems but I don't store national codes in my local numbers.

Thanks guys. I've given up on this (for now). Will write a mail to the folks at BB about this. Thanks for the response.