Hello guys! I usually setup my gmail and other email accounts through tmobile and all ... BlackBerry Curve forum

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803

IMAP vs POP

Advertisement

Hello guys! I usually setup my gmail and other email accounts through tmobile and all i have to do is put in the email address and password and emails are pushed to my phone. For some reason google teamed up with my college and now I can have mobile access to my schools email. So I ended up having to choose IMAP or POP. I read that many users had a better experience with the POP.

My question is what is the time delay before pop goes and searches gmail to see if there are new messages? Is there a setting some where that I can modify this? I have never had to setup pop or imap with a blackberry ever!! Thanks!

eduardog21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C7A2A

Re: IMAP vs POP

You have mobile access through google to read your school email? I just added my school account under email settings like a normal email and I get emails sent to my blackberry. I've never had to choose IMAP or POP. Have you tried adding your school email and password so that email just gets sent to your blackberry. That's what I have and it seems less cumbersome.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

My experience with POP and IMAP were with Gmail.

POP gets pushed to you instantly. Doesn't allow reconciliation though

IMAP takes a while to get to you, Reconciles your messages i.e. will mark emails read when read from BB and you can delete from BB.

Your mileage may vary though. That is just what I have come across.

I have all my email accounts set up to filter and tag the majority of all my emails. I rarely even need to visit them from my PC. So I would rather have my emails pushed to me than to be able to reconcile on the go. Your needs may be different.

Hope this helps a bit. This has just been my experience with IMAP maybe some one who uses it will have more of an insight about it though.

PIN/ID
    302C0803

Yes I already tried that! It would not let me it says settings could not be found and I had to put the settings myself which means use pop or IMAP. Google has partnered up with my college and now we login through a site https://www.google.com/a/fiu.edu and then we put in our user name from school and its our school email with domain but on googles servers. So yeah I had to do it that way.

PIN/ID
    302C0803

Well apparently POP does not push it right away. So far i have had a delay of about 10 mins. I sent myself an email and i check it on my pc and once i got it on the pc then i waited to see how long it would take to get to my phone! Usually 10 mins!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Really? My Gmail account I usually get before it even shows up on my PC.

PIN/ID
    302C0803

Well yes that is true for me as well but when I have them pushed via blackberry, but on the pop it has some delay!