Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys, T-Mobile is issuing thier Javilin model tomorrow, and im torn on weither getting ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pitoface no está en línea Stack level 1

im torn! 8900 vs 9000

Advertisement

Hey guys,

T-Mobile is issuing thier Javilin model tomorrow, and im torn on weither getting it or the Bold from AT&T. I like the 3MP camera on the javilin and thats its a bit smaller and has the curve button keyboard and longer battery life. But I also like the bold for its 3G network and just plain awesomeablitiy.

Can anyone advise? I've had curves all my Blackberry life. any help/advise/direction whould be greatly apprciated!

Thanks,

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I loved the Bold when i had it but being a Curve lover, when the 8900 came out i HAD to have it and ive loved it since the first second now.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I've played with a Bold in Radio Shack and like Ranx being a Curve lover, I didn't like it quite so much, It felt different. The 8900, whewww..... its a beauty.

m0bilechic no está en línea Stack level 1

Go for the 8900!

Personally, I'd go for the 8900. It's smaller and lighter than the Bold. It's also got a nicer screen and better camera. Check out my video comparing the Bold, Storm, and 8900 at youtube.com/watch?v=Shm5T0zL0hQ

In the end, it really comes down to whether you want 3G. But if you have owned a Curve before, typing on the 8900 will probably feel more natural for you too. It really depends on how you plan to use it.

superman2683 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20e07eda
    I would go with the bold. They keyboard takes getting used to but in the end it ends up feeling a lot smoother once your used to it. The 3g is also amazing. Being able to talk on the phone and bb message at same time. Gotta love that.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Well I have to chime in. I've owned several 8300s and 8310s, and I loved my Curves. I didn't know if I even wanted to upgrade to the Bold. But I did, and I can say that for me, this 9000 is the finest device I've owned. I think you can't go wrong either way, but this 3G is FAST!!!!~via 9000~

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    I had the BOLD and used it on Tmobile. My wife has it now because the 8900 has UMA calling which was important to me. Its also lighter, thinner, and fast. Very sweet phone. best of them all Id say and if you look at my profile... you'll see I have had them all LOL I AM INSANE!

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    its been about 4 hours since I sent my new curve 8900 back to t-mobile for a new one, and I am already getting the shakes.

I feel the pull, the blackberry calling out my name. I would say go with the new curve (especially because of the various reviews that criticize the poor 3G battery life, the extremely loose BOLD battery cover that in has been known to fall off when in use).

It also seems to be the buzz around here that currently the EDGE speed on t-mobile is not far behind at&t's 3G speeds. I did a quick out-of-pocket EDGE vs. 3G test on my 8900 and my friend's iphone 3G. This took place inside a restaurant with an open wifi connection above us which had about two bars worth of signal strength on both our phones. This enabled me to test the browser and connection speeds via wireless and via our networks as well.

On the wireless network, our phones were about equal on webpage load times. Sometimes the 8900 would be a little more quick in uploading sites, and other times the iphone would have the faster webrowsing experience (I think it depends on the sites you visit). But when we turned on our cell radios and turned off the wifi, my 8900 always would load pages by a second or few before the Bold. I mostly surfed facebook, and youtube when doing this 5 to 10 minute quickie of a test, so take it for what its worth.

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Just to clarify some stuff, 3g and edge browsing speeds are incredibly close. This has to do with the packeting if I am not mistaken. If you try streaming something with 3g vs edge, there is a huge difference. flycast sucks on edge, but on 3g is flawless. Same thing goes for slingplayer. Load times in the browser are the same for the speeds.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via smartphone~its all about personal preference. The bold is a great device but the 8900 is one hell of a berry. If 3G matters to u get the bold if not the 8900 FTW.

pitoface no está en línea Stack level 1
    Okay, so from reading the suggestions and reviews you all have provided (along with some critisizam from the wife) i've decided to go with the 8900. messaging/data while chatting on the phone is not that important to me. and as some of you discribed, if i wanted to use the net. i can use wifi. Thank you all very much for the help. I will be purchasing my new 8900/t-mobile plan tomorrow!

Thanks!

RainierR no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's been a while since we've had some stellar rumormill info on upcoming device models! The word from the BoyGenius February 9, 2009 is of the BlackBerry 9300, currently codenamed Gemini, which you can think of as a souped up BlackBerry Curve 8900 gone 3G. There's no word concrete word on timeframe, but BG thinks it will be a while -- late '09 or early '10 -- seeing as how the current Curve 83xx replacement, the 8900 is just rolling out. The speculation is that the 9300 will feature a larger, higher resolution screen, a more powerful processor, will be silver in color and have a slightly different look/feel but retain a lot of Storm/8900's design influence. Bold is awesome pick just love it alot coming from previous 8320 Curve that I had last year...

RainierR no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up

Its project name was Javelin. The official release on T-Mobile USA is February 11, 2009. The phone has been released on most UK networks. It was first thought to be a part of the latest 9000 series phones, however it was revealed to be an 8900 series due to the lack of 3G, unlike theBlackBerry Bold, and will officially be called the BlackBerry Curve 8900. The Curve 8900 is a Quad-band GSM/EDGE phone, unlike the BlackBerry Niagara which is an EV-DO device, both with WI-FI and GPS. In the Blackberry model lineup, the Curve 8900 appears is a replacement for the very popular older Blackberry Curve 8300 series and appears to be an upgrade in most all aspects and features. The most significant differences to the recently released and related Blackberry Bold is the Curve 8900 is smaller and has a better camera, but lacks the faster 3G support of the Bold. Other less significant differences compared to the Bold are smaller but higher resolution Curve 8900 screen, different USB port (mini vs. micro), Curve 8900's smaller keyboard, Curve 8900's improved "Atomic" trackball, Curve 8900's less impressive speaker performance, Curve 8900's more internal memory, Curve 8900's slightly slower processor, and a speculated lower price.
    Last edited by RainierR; 02-11-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: color

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade View Post
    Just to clarify some stuff, 3g and edge browsing speeds are incredibly close. This has to do with the packeting if I am not mistaken. If you try streaming something with 3g vs edge, there is a huge difference. flycast sucks on edge, but on 3g is flawless. Same thing goes for slingplayer. Load times in the browser are the same for the speeds.

Thanks for clearing that up!
    I feel like if I wanted to watch movies on the go, I would rather have a device like the unreleased Achos media phone with a 5 inch screen. Flycast/vcast are nice, but when it comes down to it, I feel like they are gimmicky accessories. I really do not see myself ever watching movies on my phone. I think it would definitely give me headaches over time and especially in a moving vehicle.

If the only major difference between T-mobiles EDGE and at&t's 3G is that 3g can stream videos flawlessly such as full length movies, t.v. shows, live broadcasts, youtube, and if mutlimedia is a priority for you, then definitely go with the BOLD. Otherwise the 8900 is currently my choice for a new phone. I just cannot see myself doing any extensive video watching on my phone...watching anything for more than 10 minutes on such a small screen gets tiring. I am actually more comfortably reading on the small screen than I am watching videos for long periods.

For multimedia I am personally more apt to frequently use the camera, video camera, MP3 player, web browser, and whatever other various fun and games apps that I might enjoy. The 8900 has all these other multimedia capabilties (some of which are superior to the Bold's specifications such as the camera/video camera).

If I was not with T-mobile and I was looking for a new carrier, I would probably go to att&t and get the Bold. Like someone stated earlier, it is all about personal preference.
    Iv'e never handled a Bold, but if it feels like it is better built and has tighter fitting parts than the 8900, I would probably go with that. The differences between the two are really negligable IMO.

I also think that your decision should lie with the carrier that you think would be best for you and that has the best coverage for your use. Decide on the carrier, then pick the phone.
    Last edited by icaro2000; 02-11-2009 at 06:31 AM.

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    I agree. Just get what you want. Personally I would stick to a phone that your carrier offers. I did a battery pull last night on my bold, and now it won't turn on at all. No blinking lights at all. I'm glad it's an ATT phone, otherwise I would be livid that I just through away 400 bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast