Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi there. I'm a newbie to blackberry's and I was wondering what exactly is this ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jtekt no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm new to BB's. So what exactly is OS 4.5?!?!?!

Advertisement

Hi there. I'm a newbie to blackberry's and I was wondering what exactly is this new operating system I hear everyone talking about? It can be downloaded online and it will totally change how the phone operates?

I have the AT&T Curve 8310. Where can I get this upgrade and what all will it do for my phone? When AT&T releases the upgrade, will it be free to current owners or will we have to pay?

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    ok so OS 4.5 will enhance your phone's functions.
    it should make things run smoother for you, I came off of 4.3 and the main things I noticed is the media and the browser changes.

but believe me there are some non visual changes as well.

check this thread for your phone and OS:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86

I'd say upgrade it is worth it.

also remember to BACKUP your phone and after you install the new OS
    go to...
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    and delete the vendor.xml file
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

And no
    You won't have to pay.
    At least you should not have to.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I upgraded my AT&T 8310 to 4.5.0.55 a few weeks ago and its running smoothly.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-08-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: s

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jtekt View Post
    Hi there. I'm a newbie to blackberry's
    -
    Unless you've already done so, I would highly encourage you _NOT_ to install 4.5.

There is a lot to learn when you are new. The 4.2 version that comes on your BlackBerry is rock solid, has no bugs or problems, therefore there is absolutely no reason to change it.

The best use of your time is to learn about your BlackBerry in its present form. This alone takes some time, since there are so many great functions to be used. Then once you are experienced like others here who are encouraging you to migrate to 4.5, you will enjoy it more. You will also be more prepared to deal with the potential problems that come with any change on makes to their BlackBerry.
    4.5 does indeed provide some nice changes. But why not wait, as you do not _NEED_ to have those now. Especially if something goes wrong during the upgrade which can & will render your BlackBerry useless. Then you will have wished you waited. So take it from me, just enjoy your BlackBerry as it is. Invest you time into reading all the great. Info here on PinStacks & do your modifications later.

Cheers!
    sent via BlackBerry

Bloodydream no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Archer6. I could not have said it any better. Very good advice four our new fellow stacker.

pavlou no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi i have a blackberry curve 8310 and with o2 etc it is version 4.5.0.52 and all of a sudden the egg timer keeps coming up and it is running slow ad everytime i press a button the egg timer comes up and slows everything right down and it is frustrating me beyond belif! is there something i need to download or do? please help!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    -
    Unless you've already done so, I would highly encourage you _NOT_ to install 4.5.

There is a lot to learn when you are new. The 4.2 version that comes on your BlackBerry is rock solid, has no bugs or problems, therefore there is absolutely no reason to change it.

The best use of your time is to learn about your BlackBerry in its present form. This alone takes some time, since there are so many great functions to be used. Then once you are experienced like others here who are encouraging you to migrate to 4.5, you will enjoy it more. You will also be more prepared to deal with the potential problems that come with any change on makes to their BlackBerry.
    4.5 does indeed provide some nice changes. But why not wait, as you do not _NEED_ to have those now. Especially if something goes wrong during the upgrade which can & will render your BlackBerry useless. Then you will have wished you waited. So take it from me, just enjoy your BlackBerry as it is. Invest you time into reading all the great. Info here on PinStacks & do your modifications later.

Cheers!
    sent via BlackBerry

you know I'd have to agree...

I go so swept up in getting to the new OS because of the theme builder.
    which of course I found out later that you can export to lower OS's so I didn't need to upgrade anyway.
    I wanted to get up to 4.5 so I could mess around with the builder.

but thinking about it now my old 4.3 was stable, not that the 4.5 I downloaded isn't but archer your point is well taken.
    y fix what's not broken?

heed archer's advice jtekt

you'll love your blackberry, 4.3 or 4.5 so enjoy what it does and find out what it can do before you go messing with stuff.

it's not hard to upgrade but figure out what it can do for you currently and then when you do do it it will be that much more valuable to you.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlou View Post
    Hi i have a blackberry curve 8310 and with o2 etc it is version 4.5.0.52 and all of a sudden the egg timer keeps coming up and it is running slow ad everytime i press a button the egg timer comes up and slows everything right down and it is frustrating me beyond belif! is there something i need to download or do? please help!
    One thing that will surely slow it is Java Support. Go to your browser>menu>options>browser configuration and uncheck "support Javascript" if it is checked. That'll speed up your processing if that WAS checked.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ok il giv it ago once iv finished installing some upgrade stuf and il let u know how it goes..im new to blakbery so its all greek to me lol

Pavlov,

Keep posting your questions, etc. in here - we'll help you get acquainted with the wonderful world of Blackberry. We're all fairly avid about the subject. Have fun. Hope my suggestion helps. That may not be your answer but Javascript support on all the time will definitely slow the processing down.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

oh wow thanks man! its jus restoring now so il let u know soon whats going on. oh yeh is there anything cool i can download for it thats free and wont low it down?

Quote Originally Posted by pavlou View Post
    ..........is there anything cool i can download for it thats free and wont low it down?
    Broad question. Go to mobile.blackberry.com and start with the free stuff there - you can probably find something you like...and check out all the free themes on the Pinstack themes forum.

i jus downloaded new software so that must have been the problem.. thanks for your help guys!

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Glad to know you got it up and running. Welcome to pinstack and to the blackberry world. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast