Hey All, Gots an idea for saving more space other than using CrackMem and the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ghostshell no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Idea to Save Space

Advertisement

Hey All,

Gots an idea for saving more space other than using CrackMem and the BB MCP tool. So thinking of what gets installed be default, i get about 30MB free, kinda odd to me cuz if our devices have 64MB and i install 31-32MB of stuff on a new install shouldnt i have 32-33MB free? But i stray away from original idea, ringtones, we have a bunch of default reingtones on our phones sooo why dont or is there a way to save them onto the media card instead of the phone, thats gotta be around at least 1-2MB of space. I figure if you can save them on the media card, when you upgrade or like me wipe and upgrade/install, you can just delete them since there on the media card. What does everyone think?

Krazy Kat no está en línea Stack level 3
    To the best of my knowledge the default ringtones cannot be moved from the device memory. On the 4.5 OS all of the default device ringtones are locked.

SPinTiff no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had this questions before, and was sent this:
    you have to reinstal your OS on the BB via BlackBerry desktop manager

you can find it here and be careful what you going to delete
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.52_P2.7.0.66\Java

FYI i might have different OS than you so do not copy and past it

**Due to posting rules, I was not able to enclose the link, so hopefully it will work for you. Good luck!**
    Happily syncing to BES with TheMessageCenter

SPinTiff you misunderstood the post. I have no issue, just an idea to save more space, i was able to find out that you can delete ringtones through the media manager, default on device as well as ones on the media card.

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I use my BB for ring tones, email, and SMS. I use the heck out of my appointments and calendar too. I have NEVER had a memory issue. What do you all do that sucks up so much memory???? I can see if you have nothing but mp3's on it, but then just go get a mp3 player.
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8
    ghostshell what SPinTiff is trying to tell you is that there are certain files within that folder that you can delete or rename and they will take certain things off your phone. For example I removed all the default pictures that come on my phone. I also unlocked all the vendor themes (vodaphone, O2 etc.) but I only have two themes on my phone plus the defaults.

It all can be accomplished through deleting or renaming certain files in that java folder. But you have to be careful what you're doing. That folder is the place where your phone's operating system is. Delete something vital and you just signed up for some woe!

Another thing that you can delete from the phone to save space is the ptt features of the phone. But that only comes into play if you have at&t. If you dont have at&t then the push to talk features aren't even on your phone.

So yeah. You have an idea and it is logical and it can be done. But do you want to do it? Lots of folks have done it. There was a thread around here somewhere on how to delete certain things and what to delete if you just wanted certain things to be taken off... But I dont know where it is off hand. Some folks dont want to go through the problems. Many a phone got into a tight spot using these tricks.

I remember when I did it for the first time and I was without a phone for about 2-3 hours. Something was borked and nothing I did could make my computer recognize my phone. If the phone is not recognized then I cant put on the operating system over. And my phone didn't have a warranty! Lets just say that I dont want to repeat that experience. Ever. Didn't know how important the phone had become to me untill I had to look at my old razor and think about how I may have to start using it again...

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    There are ways to get rid of the default ringtones. It's not overly difficult, but I'm really not thinking that the 1-2 MB of memory you'll save is worth it if you don't understand what you're doing. Frankly, you say you have 30MB free so you're at no risk of running out of memory any time soon.

But again, if you search there are definitely ways to remove the default ringtones.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

SPinTiff no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thx Kolosus - much more eloquently put.
    Happily syncing to BES with TheMessageCenter

main idea is to delete the ones that are not defaulty used and the ones you dont want.