First of all: Sorry for my bad english (I am from germany) I have some ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wixi no está en línea Stack level 1

I have some questions...

Advertisement

First of all: Sorry for my bad english (I am from germany)

I have some questions about the Curve 8320. I've never had a Smartphone before not to mention a blackberry, but I want to get rid of my ipod touch and Sony Ericsson W810i,because I want to combine the 2 devices and prefer the QWERTZ keyboard over the touchscreen. I just want some music,IM,RSS, and maybe some e-mail. My Question is: Do the mentioned functions work over Wi-Fi ?And does normal pop3 e-mail work without Push?I've heard that some functions don't work over Wi-Fi. I don't want to use GPRS/EDGE, because it's too expensive with my plan(don't have BB Option nor Data Plan). I just want to use it the same as my iPod Touch right now. Is this possible?
    And I've heard there is no keylock while listening to music?Is it true?Thank you very much

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    The music player is pretty nice but I prefer flipside and it will play locked. As to the coverage w/o edge that I cannot attest to as I have not been w/o it since I got my 8120, maybe some of the other wifi users have. Welsome to the stacks! I Hope this helps.

http://www.electricpocket.com/flipside/
    Last edited by thbassman; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: sp
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't think it will be possible to use the WiFi without a Data Plan.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    YOu can use the wi-fi without a data plan to browse the internet using the Blackberry browser or Opera mini. I do both of those on a 8120 without a data plan.

You cannot get email. I also think IM and RSS are not possible without a data plan.

You can use the BB to listen to music and a data card would expand your capacity to do that. Other than that, I don't know of anything else you can do without a data plan. Anyone else?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

yozpalang no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you can do IM but you get charged like text msag.like tmobile has free add on sofware for IM

ookaay, as far as I understand,the BB option is just for the Push-email service and the data plan is for the GPRS/EDGE connection and it is dependent on the application if it supports wifi or not(which would suck)!? Am I right so far? Sooo, does Jivetalk or Viigo support wifi?Can someone maybe deactivate the GPRS/EDGE Connection and try out which Applications work via Wifi? I'd appreciate it. Maybe I should get a 250mb data plan or something...that would be enough for RSS and IM,wouldn't it?

Jivetalk requires a data plan since that's what it uses. I have not been able to get Viigo to work wi-fi only.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Oh ok. I wasn't sure. I hadn't used WiFi without the data plan.

I found the link for jivetalk and it says "OS 4.2.1 or later including WIFI support (Pearl, Curve, 8100, 8300, 8800 & 8700 Series)" www.beejive.com

Do you have the newest version?

Quote Originally Posted by wixi View Post
    I found the link for jivetalk and it says "OS 4.2.1 or later including WIFI support (Pearl, Curve, 8100, 8300, 8800 & 8700 Series)" www.beejive.com

Do you have the newest version?
    I have 4.2.2 but I don't understand the "wi-fi" part since the thing about Jivetalk is that it uses data to transmit the (IM) msgs that it supports...and it supports several. Maybe a question to Jivetalk would be in order to get an explanation re: the "including wi-fi support..."

Feedback
    For product feedback, suggestions, or for any support issues please email support@beejive.com. If you are filing a bug report, make sure to include your device model and OS version and the JiveTalk version number.

maybe you have an older version of jivetalk.
    edit: I found this on the IM+ features page:
    "All connections types are supported, including WiFi (for OS 4.3)"

hmm.maybe that means,jivetalk needs 4.3. too to work with wifi!?

edit2:
    Configuring WiFi Connection
    If you have a wifi enabled device (OS version 4.2.1 or later) you can enable JiveTalk to connect via wifi. Go to "Preferences" and scroll down to "WIFI Options" (under the Networking section). You will see 3 options:
    - "WIFI Preferred": will connect via a wifi network if one is present, otherwise it will connect via your mobile network.
    - "Network Preferred": will connect via your mobile network if it is present, otherwise it will connect via wifi.
    - "Never": will only connect via your mobile network.
    Last edited by wixi; 06-04-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Just for grins, I downloaded Jivetalk on my 8120 (OS 4.3.0.115) again to try the trial version. All went well until I try to login my ID's - I get a network error (or some such....) It just won't work (for me) wi-fi - I didn't expect it to - it's very attraction is that you can IM using your data plan and without having a text msg plan which is one of the T-Mobile requirement.

kasl33 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I had to have a data plan for the wifi to work.

BTW, I have OS version 4.5 and it is SO much better.