So I have my new 8320 that I bought from TMO and got it home. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mr_skot no está en línea Stack level 1

I HATE UMA (a.k.a. - It breaks my home Wifi)

Advertisement

So I have my new 8320 that I bought from TMO and got it home. It finds my home WiFi and I can connect just fine, no problem. All of a sudden the EDGE gets replaced with UMA (and the @home service) and BLAMMO, my WiFi data connection goes in the dumper. Browser errors, 'Cant find the Network', blah blah blah

I tried to change some things, like the order the WiFi connections appear in the list so my home WiFi connection is above the @home Wifi. Didn't help.

I can turn off the WiFi and back on. Works for about 60 seconds and then it gets hosed again.

Q) Does anyone know of a way to disable the UMA, but keep the WiFi on? I'd like to use the WiFi.

Q) Am I the only person fighting this?

Q) Why did I pay $450 for this BB when this obviously wasn't tested by TMO/RIM before being released on the masses?

Any help, comments, thoughts, and even flames would be appreciated.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: I HATE UMA (a.k.a. - It breaks my home Wifi)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I haven't had any issues.
    When u talk about browser issues are you talking on the bb or pc?
    Make sure the browser is changed to wifi in the options.
    I am not aware of a way to get wifi without uma.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

If you want to disable your UMA, simply just fully restore everything from your old BB to your 8320.

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mr_skot
    So I have my new 8320 that I bought from TMO and got it home. It finds my home WiFi and I can connect just fine, no problem. All of a sudden the EDGE gets replaced with UMA (and the @home service) and BLAMMO, my WiFi data connection goes in the dumper. Browser errors, 'Cant find the Network', blah blah blah

I tried to change some things, like the order the WiFi connections appear in the list so my home WiFi connection is above the @home Wifi. Didn't help.

I can turn off the WiFi and back on. Works for about 60 seconds and then it gets hosed again.

Q) Does anyone know of a way to disable the UMA, but keep the WiFi on? I'd like to use the WiFi.

Q) Am I the only person fighting this?

Q) Why did I pay $450 for this BB when this obviously wasn't tested by TMO/RIM before being released on the masses?

Any help, comments, thoughts, and even flames would be appreciated.

If you look in the bookmarks you have the choice of Internet Browser (EDGE), T-Zones and WiFi-Browser (UMA/Wifi). You HAVE to specify what mode you want the BB Browser to use when connecting to various sites.. if you don't then you'll get weird behavior. It should switch automatically for you but since 4.2.2.171 is just a dot release of the OS to support the 8320/8310 features and has some odd behavior .. it is what it is. They've said all up and down this forum that RIM is releasing 4.3.x.x to address these issues soon.

I'll bet a crisp $100 bill that nothing is wrong with your AP or your network at home. Give what I said a shot .. I have NO issues with my 8320 and my AT&T 2Wire. The issue is the old *** BB browser that had a hack placed into it. RIM/TMO tested this just fine.. it was a trade off. They had to get these out the door and it works good enough to wait for 4.3.x.x

Give Opera a try. It's a MUCH better mobile browser.
    --
    Faith is the truth of passion.
    Since no passion is more true than another,
    faith is the truth of nothing.

doublekk no está en línea Stack level 1

Is there any chance that there might be operator error. I only ask because I have had the service since day one and have had no problems. Got my 8320 on Friday of last week, brought it home, took the SIM out of my 6086, put it in the 8320 and fired it up. Picked up my T-Mobile Linksys router and has been running fine ever since. My only suggestion would be get the free router from T-Mobile. Run your phone off of one network and the rest of your home wireless off of your original router. I have had no problems whatsoever. Best of luck, I hope you get this squared away and fly well.

Doublekk

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Not operator error, but a good question indeed. The issue is the BB browser was set to 'internet browser'. When I changed it to WiFi it worked fine.

Here's another quesrtion though. Why should the BB Curve community have to manually switch the settings in order to get this to work?

Come on RIM! If the device is smart enough to detect when it's in range of WiFi and switch the phone to UMA it should also assume the user would want the browser to connect via that same method.

Thoughts, comments?

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Not operator error, but a good question indeed. The issue is the BB browser was set to 'internet browser'. When I changed it to WiFi it worked fine.

Here's another quesrtion though. Why should the BB Curve community have to manually switch the settings in order to get this to work?

Come on RIM! If the device is smart enough to detect when it's in range of WiFi and switch the phone to UMA it should also assume the user would want the browser to connect via that same method.

Thoughts, comments?
    not always true. THere are times i don't want to transmit anything on a wifi network. I might want to strictly go over edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad
    not always true. THere are times i don't want to transmit anything on a wifi network. I might want to strictly go over edge.
    Ok a browser preference would be a good thing then.

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3

I just keep two sets of bookmarks .. one with all of the sites I like set to Internet Browser and the other set to Wifi. They are divided into sub-folders with those names.
    --
    Faith is the truth of passion.
    Since no passion is more true than another,
    faith is the truth of nothing.

flava no está en línea Stack level 2

Thoughts, comments?
    I have the same problem as you. So all you did was open the web browser>options>general properties>and then set the default browser from T-zones to Wi-fi right?

Also, my phone says UMA at home even though I don't subscribe to the H@H service. Does this mean that it uses wi-fi when I place a phone call or does it switch to EDGE?

Something happened yesterday. I was at home and my phone was naturally connected to the the wi-fi (UMA). Turns out that people were trying to get a hold of me and the calls did not come through. Was that because I was on UMA instead of EDGE?

I truly appreciate any responses...
    Last edited by flava; 10-02-2007 at 06:48 PM.

flava no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by aergern
    If you look in the bookmarks you have the choice of Internet Browser (EDGE), T-Zones and WiFi-Browser (UMA/Wifi). You HAVE to specify what mode you want the BB Browser to use when connecting to various sites..
    Could you please explain further? Are you saying that when you open bookmarks and select a bookmark under wi-fi, it will use wi-fi instead of EDGE to connect to that page?

OutsideLookinIn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    XxxXXxxX
    Quote Originally Posted by flava View Post
    I have the same problem as you. So all you did was open the web browser>options>general properties>and then set the default browser from T-zones to Wi-fi right?

Also, my phone says UMA at home even though I don't subscribe to the H@H service. Does this mean that it uses wi-fi when I place a phone call or does it switch to EDGE?

Something happened yesterday. I was at home and my phone was naturally connected to the the wi-fi (UMA). Turns out that people were trying to get a hold of me and the calls did not come through. Was that because I was on UMA instead of EDGE?

I truly appreciate any responses...
    I'm having the some issues as well with my UMA. Everytime I'm at home and I'm on UMA, when someone tries to call me or if I place a call all the devices (pc and internet phone) connected to my wireless router gets all disconnected! Anybody have the same issue as I do? It's really frustrating because I want to use wifi connection when I'm at home instead of EDGE but the problem is everytime I use the phone to call out or someone calls me I lose all the connection from my PC and Internet phone.

P.S. - I have a NETGEAR Mimo router by the way.

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~sounds like you need more ip address. Go into the router config and look for starting address and ending address and make sure there is at least 10 address available. You cam pm me if you need more help