Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh, good lordy, man! That's the original stock AT&T OS! You should try upgrading before ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

Re: I am taking the 6GB microSD plunge!

Advertisement

Oh, good lordy, man! That's the original stock AT&T OS! You should try upgrading before you ditch that card! I'm running 4.2.2.146 (265), the latest from Vodafone, and the absolutely most recent version is the latest Singapore release. Don't give up without a fight!
    Last edited by rrrebo; 10-05-2007 at 11:15 AM.

jeanralph no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c8f509
    Does anyone know if there is a new version for the 8830 from sprint I think I have the lastest version but now after all the OS talk I'm not sure, I don't wanna be left behind

erictking no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by rrrebo
    Oh, good lordy, man! That's the original stock AT&T OS! You should try upgrading before you ditch that card! I'm running 4.2.2.146 (265), the latest from Vodafone, and the absolutely most recent version is the latest Singapore release. Don't give up without a fight!
    Hey Rrrebo.
    I didn't know if I would have an issue switching to an OS for a different carrier. Will I? I just used the ATT OS that they had posted on this site assuming it was the one I SHOULD use and that it was the most current for ATT.
    Is it acceptable to switch to an OS for a different carrier?
    EK

PIN/ID
    240466CA

As long as it's a GSM carrier, and the same model, yes. I've had the AT&T, the Optus, and now the Vodaphone. OS upgrades are quite common, if you search around the forums, and one of the biggest benefits to owning a BlackBerry. You have a lot more freedom and control over your own device.

If you have an 8310 or 8320, I'd research the OS more before installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrebo
    ....and the absolutely most recent version is the latest Singapore release....
    Should I be concerned that the Singapore release only show East Asian instead of Multi-Language or English?

BTW, tks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

PIN/ID
    240466CA

Nope, most of the recent AT&T-compatible OS's have been labeled (Chinese). It should work fine. Try reading some of the other threads regarding Optus or Vodafone, or the Singapore OS upgrade specifically to get a feel for what's involved.

Zbats no está en línea Stack level 3

quote=erictking]OK, so I got my 6gb from Amazon yesterday. Installed it and the BLackberry was seeing all of the memory.
    Then for some reason I will never be able to explain I decided I should format it.
    Big mistake. \
    Afterwards my 8300 was only reporting 1.68gb.
    SO I find an SDHC formatter online and I get my card back up to the full capacity.
    Put the chip back into the camera and I am able to save pictures to it with no problem.
    But when I connect to my laptop and go into My Computer the BB memory card is reporting as 0mb.
    And Media Manager is not able to see the card either.
    But if I pull the card and use the SDHC adapater that is supplied with it everything works wonderfully.
    So it seems as though something isn't quite right with this.
    Are you folks with 4gb cards able to see them through Media Manager in Blackberry Desktop Manager?[/quote]

I'm wondering if you got this to work after all? I had the exact same situation, and I did what you did, found a formatter and reformatted to get back to the original 6gb. But the Media Manager will not recognize it. If you were able to get it to work, can you let me know how you did it? Thanks!

JROCK no está en línea Stack level 2

I got it to work fine only problem is you have to download everything you want onto the card with the card reader. After you reformatt your card stick it in the card reader and into your PC, then copy what you want to to the card and stick it back into your BB... should work fine and read the correct memory.. hope this helps let me know.

Zbats no está en línea Stack level 3

Thank you jrock. This did work for me. Luckily the card came with an adapter, so this is an easy fix... Not too big a trade off for having the larger card. Plus i also emailed myself some of the pictures i wanted, and that worked too.

Thumbs down Re: I am taking the 6GB microSD plunge!

Quote Originally Posted by JROCK
    I got it to work fine only problem is you have to download everything you want onto the card with the card reader. After you reformatt your card stick it in the card reader and into your PC, then copy what you want to to the card and stick it back into your BB... should work fine and read the correct memory.. hope this helps let me know.
    So Jrock and Zbats, when you look at the properties of the card in Windows or on the BB how many GB is it reporting? I also could format on the phone and load stuff to the card with no problem. But when I format from the phone the card only reports 1.6gb.
    When I format from Windows I can get 6gb but as soon as you load more than 1.6gb onto the card the phone reports that the memory card has errors.
    At least, that is what my experience has been thus far.

Rrrebo - I loaded the Singapore version of the OS and I am seeing the same issues. Also, for some reason the BB locked itself into lowercase "edge" mode and it would not receive data. I tried turning it off and oon but the only way it would correct itself was by puylling the battery. So I am thinking maybe the Singapore OS is a little hinky for ATT. I don't know.

At any rate, at this point I can only hope that SDHC compatibility is something that can be addressed by an OS patch sometime in the future. Otherwise I guess it's off to create an auction listing you know where!

Eloquence no está en línea Stack level 2

So I FINALLY got my 6GB card!

Where do I start... the problems with this thing are quite bothersome. First, if you format through windows it likes to give the card only 1.86GB of storage. Then, after you format with SD Formatter and card reader it reads correctly...until you load up more than 2 GB (~= 1.86GB)

Connect your BB (with 6GB inside) back to the computer and somehow, even in mass Storage mode, Windows wants to reformat! Grrr...

Not sure what to do, I can reformat with Card reader, load my stuff back on, put card back into BB and then keep the BB away from the home comp, but when I want to sync anything... will I have to repeat this everytime!!?!! Madness I say!

So guys, do you have to keep taking your 6GB card out of BB and into card reader everytime you want to add new stuff, or does your BB, when connected to computer, report the right size when Windows Explorer reads it?

Thanks,
    -Marcus

~via BB
    Hi Marcus. As you can see by my previous posts I highly doubt anyone has gotten the 6gb card to work on the 8300. I am holding on tomine in the hope that this is something that can be addressed by an OS release. I kinda doubt it though. I really think there is a hardware component to this technology and that is why you need a special card reader. On the other hand the Curva doesn't gag until you put more than the 2gb maximum on it. So that is why I am holding out hope. Until then don't expect to be able to access more than 2gb of data on your 6gb card...that is my experience anyway. Good luck with yours!!

luc-mobile no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by erictking
    I am holding on tomine in the hope that this is something that can be addressed by an OS release. I kinda doubt it though. I really think there is a hardware component to this technology and that is why you need a special card reader.
    But then why do 4Gb SDHC cards work fine? That's what many 4Gb SDHC card owners are saying.

Here is my story, already told in another forum (I am not allowed to post the URL):

I can use my 6Gb Sandisk microSD card with the 8300 if I upload only so much data, something around 2.7Gb. The 8300 will no longer recognize the card if I upload more than that.

What is even more annoying is that if I upload too much, removing some of the excess won't fix it. Even removing EVERYTHING from the card won't fix it anymore. Once I go past that elusive limit, the card has to be formatted again or else the 8300 won't accept it even if it contains no more than a couple of megabytes. I've been struggling with it for 3 hours, I tried and tried many times and always get the same result. This is extremely annoying because I still haven't been able to figure out the exact limit, so I am exceeding it all the time, and reformatting the card all the time, and waiting for the 8300 to finish its very long reboot all the time and running into the problem again and again, all the time.

Note that I can fill up the 6Gb card completely and play media back from the card using the PC. I've done that in 3 ways:

- with the PC and USB SDHC card reader on Windows;
    - with the PC and USB SDHC card reader on Linux;
    - with the 8300 hooked up to the PC via USB on Linux.

That is, the only combination that doesn't work is the phone hooked up to the PC via USB on Windows - Windows will say the removable media is not formatted.

Being able to fill up the card and even playback media from it using the setups above tells me that the card is working and its full capacity can be accessed - except when the card is inserted back into the 8300.
    Whenever I insert the card back into the 8300, the phone says the card has an invalid format or something to that effect.

In the other forum, a fellow Crackberry addict said:

NOTE: when you put the sd card back in the BB if it say that the media card needs formatting or any other error message, ignore it, go to settings - advanced - media card. Turn off media card support, back on again and then save the configuration. I have found that each time I remove the card to add extra files you need to repeat that step.
    I tried that tip countless times and it never worked. I am very, very disappointed. :-(

Another problem is that even after finding the right limit (2.7Gb) and actually using part of the card's capacity with the Blackberry (say 2.2Gb), the media player still fails to recognize most of the albums and artists. The only way to reach all the content is browsing it from the Explore menu entry. That is not a problem to me, I actually prefer to organize everything by folders (like I already do in my Palm and my desktop), but it might disappoint some people.

I have actually asked several people that have the HC cards if they have tried to load more than 2gb on to their cards and most aren't sure or said no. And a card formatted for more than 6gb will not cause a problem on the 8300 until you exceed that magical 2gb mark. It is also worth noting that there were some manufacturers that had a 4gb card that was NOT an HC type card. That meant they were not formatted with a FAT32 directory structure.
    The 8300 apparently can't handle FAT32 yet (at least our versions) and so can't recognize partitions over 2gb...
    It would be cool if it was possible to create multiple partitions on a trans-flash...hmmmmm....

DavidE no está en línea Stack level 1

I received a press release today from SanDisk announcing availability of its 8GB microSDHC card.

Here is the relevant text from the press release:

SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK), the leader in flash memory, today announced the availability of its 8GB microSDHC™ and M2 flash memory cards to retail outlets worldwide. Compatible with the new breed of mobile phones with card slots, the 8GB SanDisk microSDHC and M2 cards are ideal for the growing number of consumers who make their mobile phone—with its built-in music player, digital camera and video player/recorder—the centerpiece of their digital lifestyle... SanDisk’s 8GB microSDHC and M2 cards are now available in major retail outlets worldwide with suggested retail prices of $139.99 and $149.99 respectively.

So who wants to be the first guinea pig?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast