erictking no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: I am taking the 6GB microSD plunge!

Advertisement

Oh yeah,
    Forgot to mention I am on ATT.
    EK

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

So you formatted it from the BB and it was being reported as 1.86 GB?

Yes, I can see my 4GB through Media Manager....

DanDare no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24A9D56E

I received the 6gb Sandisk card from Amazon today also.

I put the card into my 8320 and all was well, the correct space was being reported. Then I put the card into the PC and copied over the files and folder structure I had backed up off my old 2gb card. This appeared to work fine, I could play a music track and view pictures and again the correct remaining size was showing.

I then tried plugging the phone into the PC and transfering files through Media Manager - The card name appears but I could not expand the folders to view their contents. What I then did was reformat the card in Windows using FAT32 and default allocation size. I was then able to put the card back into the 8320 and access it through media manager. Once I had copied the backup folders over again, this time through media manager I could view the correct disk useage/remaining size.

I will copy over some videos and test the card more tonight but all appears to be working fine now.

Just as a curious note, I found this information when searching for information this morning about the support of microsd cards on the blackberry support site KB05461:

Supported microSD media cards

Doc ID : KB05461
    Last Modified : 2007-10-02
    Document Type : What Is

Environment
    BlackBerry® 8800 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8300 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100 smartphone
    • MicroSD media card
    Details

A microSD media card is a small, removable flash memory data storage device. When inserted into a BlackBerry smartphone, it can extend the memory available for storing media files such as videos, ring tones, pictures, or songs. The media card is sold separately from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Currently, BlackBerry smartphones support media cards with up to 8GB of memory. MicroSD media cards with 4GB and 8GB of memory require BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry® Device Software 4.3 or later.

I wonder if this means 4.3 is imminent?

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It is. The 8120 got released today in Europe, so its out there lol. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to wait until around Thanksgiving for 4.3 for the curve and other previously released devices. At least what I'm being told.

Hi DanDare.
    Thanks for all the input.
    When I used the SDHC card reader and formatted it supposedly formatted in FAT32. At any rate I tried refromatting with the Windows formatter, put the card back into the phone and same issue. When I connect the phone through USB and go to My Compouter and look at the memory card properties it shows up as 0kb and RAW format.
    Possibly with the 8320 you are running a more recent release of the device Software?
    OS?
    When I bring my "About" page up I am showing v4.2.2.89 (Platform 2.4.0.39).
    Being new to the RIM line, is it possible to do updates to the device software when they come out?

kimbnewman no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by DanDare
    I put the card into my 8320 and all was well, the correct space was being reported. Then I put the card into the PC and copied over the files and folder structure I had backed up off my old 2gb card. This appeared to work fine, I could play a music track and view pictures and again the correct remaining size was showing.

I then tried plugging the phone into the PC and transfering files through Media Manager - The card name appears but I could not expand the folders to view their contents. What I then did was reformat the card in Windows using FAT32 and default allocation size. I was then able to put the card back into the 8320 and access it through media manager. Once I had copied the backup folders over again, this time through media manager I could view the correct disk useage/remaining size.
    Same here for me too. I received my card from Amazon a few hours ago. Everything seems to be working fine after reformatting and copying the default BB folders over to the card. Thanks for the info!

Hi KimBNewman.
    When you reformatted did you do it using the media card reader that comes packaged with the Sandisk 6gb? And you are now able to see the card in Media Manager?
    Tks

Quote Originally Posted by erictking
    Hi KimBNewman.
    When you reformatted did you do it using the media card reader that comes packaged with the Sandisk 6gb? And you are now able to see the card in Media Manager?
    Tks
    Yes, I used the media card reader that came with it. At first I tried reformatting using Windows Explorer but that did not work for me. So googled and downloaded a SD Formatter program and it worked.

I normally don't use the Media Manager to transfer files, so I tested it and no its not reading the card...bummer. I will stick with using Windows Explorer to transfer my files.

DanDare no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24A9D56E

Quote Originally Posted by erictking
    Hi DanDare.
    Possibly with the 8320 you are running a more recent release of the device Software?
    OS?
    When I bring my "About" page up I am showing v4.2.2.89 (Platform 2.4.0.39).
    Being new to the RIM line, is it possible to do updates to the device software when they come out?
    I guess it could be a OS issue, I am on 4.2.2.171 (Platform 2.5.0.24).

You can update the software, if your service provider does not have a newer version available yet you will find links at the top of the forum for the latest version from other providers. I would read up and back up before you attempt any update though.

SokudoBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

Have you guy's tried just transfering files via Mass Storage Mode? I actually prefer the method, maybe enabling mass storage mode will let you transfer files fluidly rather then use the DM Media Manager.
    at&t Retail Sales Consultant Whitehall, PA. Data SME.

Quote Originally Posted by SokudoBlade
    Have you guy's tried just transfering files via Mass Storage Mode? I actually prefer the method, maybe enabling mass storage mode will let you transfer files fluidly rather then use the DM Media Manager.
    Yep, That's how I prefer to transfer mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbnewman
    Yep, That's how I prefer to transfer mine.
    Yup.
    That is where I was seeing my drive properties as 0kb and RAW file system.
    Quite odd.
    Only way I can transfer files is to pull the card out of the phone. Once the files are on the card the phone seems to be able to access them OK. Of course I haven't exceeded 2gb yet. That will be the next test tomorrow morning. I will pund out 5gb worht of MP3s and see what happens, :-)

Well this gets progressively stranger for me.
    I loaded about 5gb onto my card this morning, put it in the phone, fired it up, and get an error saying there is a memory error. Nice.
    So I re-format it, load about 3gb (since folks are saying the 4gb card works ok) fire it up and ---- same error!
    Reformat again, load 1.4gb, fire it up, and NO PROBLEM.
    SO I guess my phone must have a seriously old software revision...at least that is what I HOPE it is!
    Guess I will need to investigate geting a software update.

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

What OS you runnin'?

Quote Originally Posted by rrrebo
    What OS you runnin'?
    Anyone want a 6gb SDHC?
    I am about to throw in the towel.
    Turns out that I did have the most recent ATT version of the O.S. (assuming the one in the downloads section of this site is current). I tried to run the update last night and the only thing that got updated was support for other languages.
    I have determined that my ATT 8300 will only see only see up to 2gb on my card. Once I cross that threshold my Curve gags.
    Hopefully this will be something that 4.3 can correct. But the fact that you need a special card reader to correctly access the card would indicate to me that there is a special hardware component involved in being able to access these cards completely.
    Maybe ATT just dumped an old version of the phone on me. Maybe the 8310 and 8320 have resolved this issue.
    Whatever, MY hardware doesn't seem to like it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast