I don't use a holster. I keep my phone in a shirt or pants pocket. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3

How to turn screen off with Lock Key?

Advertisement

I don't use a holster. I keep my phone in a shirt or pants pocket. On my 8320 when I would use the top lock key, the screen stayed dark. On the 8900 every time a key is pressed the screen lights up for a few seconds. If in my pocket this could seriously run down my battery. Any ideas anyone??? Can we adjust the lock key to act like the 8320, and leave the screen blank?

janainpstack no está en línea Stack level 1
    pressing the mute button on the right top corner of the fone puts it on standy by and pressing it again makes it come out of it - it wont light up the screen or anything unless u press the mute button again - try it...

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by th577 View Post
    I don't use a holster. I keep my phone in a shirt or pants pocket. On my 8320 when I would use the top lock key, the screen stayed dark. On the 8900 every time a key is pressed the screen lights up for a few seconds. If in my pocket this could seriously run down my battery. Any ideas anyone??? Can we adjust the lock key to act like the 8320, and leave the screen blank?
    The Standby option is great, and will save your battery, although the 8320 has great battery life! Here's an alternative.

If you go into the Phone app (hit the Green Call button), and go to [Menu] --> Options --> General Options and set Dial From Home Screen to No, you will enable Home Screen Shortcuts.

Once set, tapping K will Lock your device rather than putting it into Standby.

A detailed description of how to set up and use Home Screen Shortcut Keys can be found here.
    JerryD

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3
    On the 8900 even when the phone is locked or in Standby mode, touching the six big keys will turn on the backlight and run the battery down: Lock, Mute, Send, Menu, Escape and End.

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3
    That's what I was getting at 2 days ago. Is there a way to stop that?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I see your dilema, but honestly why would you not have some type of protection on that phone? it comes with a pouch that would solve all your issues, and it doesn't add any significant extra weight or bulge in your pocket.

just my .02

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    recommend getting a holster or case that keep it in standby mode. If you really feel ambitious how about sewing a small magnet into your shirt pockets. Then your pocket will be like a holster. no other way to disable the screen from coming on. best bet it to just reduce the backlight time to 10 seconds... so even if it does come on it wont stay on very long

Have a look at the forums, there's a lot of debate about the 8900 pouches and cases with regards to battery drain, including magnets.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    do you know a thread in particular you're referring to peterme? link it for me plz