So I bought a previously owned 8900. Pretty nice shape. It was just fine and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pearly8100 no está en línea Stack level 2

how to Stop Previous owner messages

Advertisement

So I bought a previously owned 8900. Pretty nice shape. It was just fine and quiet as it charged up. I put in my sim card and soon enough messages start to come in.

To be sure, they were messages intended to the previous owner.

By logic, I can only assume they are being sent to the PIN of my phone since the phone number, and the sim card are my own.

What do I need to do to get these to stop? I am very pessimistic about finding the previous owner for help. So, that could be left out as a solution.

As an added bonus question, I know someone with the some problem with one more level of difficulty. His phone was bought here in the US but now he is in another country and algo has this problem! If the PIN is the culprit, it works worldwide, I assume.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated thanks!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Have you tried setting up your email for the carrier/device? If so go into service books and delete anything related to the previos owners email addresses then log onto the BIS web site and resend your service books. I had that happen with an email and this was how I fixed it. If they are PIN message's then I am not really sure. Try this out and let us know if it worked for you.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Sounds like they never cleared their PIN and the BIS account is still tied to them. You will need to track them down or see if you can get the carrier to clear the PIN.

You can change sim cards all day long but BIS is tied to the PIN and.will send messages tied to that account.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us; Droid Build/ESD20) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Whipe the device.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

pearly8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    thanks for the replies, I will try them

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Wiping the device isn't going to fix it. It will have to be resolved with the original carrier to free the PIN.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I would suggest trying to add your device to your BIS email with the switch device option and if it doesn't allow you then work on having it released from the original owner. If it does except it then try what I suggested and I am almost positive it will work as long as the PIN is free.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    Definitely try what cowboy is suggesting, if it works it will save you a lot of time. Chances are though since you are still getting the messages that it was never released. Good luck.