Hello All ! Just switched to 8310 from 8100 , now I need to start ... BlackBerry Curve forum

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

How to get “ GPS” started & working on 8310 ? ? ?

Advertisement

Hello All !

Just switched to 8310 from 8100 , now I need to start GPS on my 8310, don't know how to do ????

Help Plesase

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG

Re: How to get “ GPS” started & working on 8310 ? ? ?

Who is your carrier??? Well which ever is your carrier they will charge you $9.99 a month. You can try google maps or other GPS programs on the Stack...Click on TelNav and except the terms and then go to directions and start going.......
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by stnkyq2 View Post
    Who is your carrier??? Well which ever is your carrier they will charge you $9.99 a month. You can try google maps or other GPS programs on the Stack...Click on TelNav and except the terms and then go to directions and start going.......
    Not true, you do not have to pay extra to enable the GPS on the 8310. You're referring to the Telenav monthly charge, which is not necessary to use GPS. There are many other free applications out there that utilize GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by aswanideep View Post
    Hello All !

Just switched to 8310 from 8100 , now I need to start GPS on my 8310, don't know how to do ????

Help Plesase
    The GPS receiver will automatically be enabled on your phone when you turn it on, you just need the software to utilize it. This forum has many different threads on various software you can install.

You can test if the 8310's GPS receiver is working by going to Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS, and then pressing the Menu key and selecting Refresh GPS and see if it is able to get a fix. Remember you should be outside for the highest probability of success, although it may work indoors if you're near a window where a signal can still be obtained.

mfoote no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242C9AF0

To activate mine I just downloaded google maps and it started the GPS function.
    Badges we don't need no stinking badges.

rabbott no está en línea Stack level 2

To get mine working completely the first time I turned on my device I had to do the following:

Go outside with a clear view of the sky
    Options->Advanced Options->GPS
    Click the menu button
    Select "Refresh GPS"

Wait until your latitude/longitude/# of satellites/etc are populated.

GPS-aware apps such as Google Maps should now recognize your location.

As others have said the monthly fees only relate to certain navigation apps that some providers are offering. You don't need to purchase these apps to have functioning GPS on your device. This may not be true with Verizon who I've heard have locked the GPS function to a single application.

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

I called my service prvider's helpline , they told me that they aren't supprting GPS to Curves, well what's the worth of getting it if especially bought for GPS
    Last edited by reddog187; 01-24-2008 at 05:00 PM.

rabbott no está en línea Stack level 2

If you have an 8310, then it has a GPS chip in it. It should work regardless of whether your provider supports GPS.

Did you try the steps outlined above?

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Hello All !

Help Plesase
    Hey! I've used googlemaps and BB Maps, BB Maps wins hands down and it is free software, much betther then google.

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

I called my service prvider's helpline , they told me that they aren't supprting GPS to Curves, well what's the worth of getting it if especially bought for GPS
    You have to remember that the carrier saying they don't "support GPS" just means they won't help you get it working with anything other than THEIR software. That doesn't necessarily mean anything regarding whether or not you can get the GPS functionality to work with third part programs; it just means the carrier's helpline people aren't going to do anything for you.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

just do as u were told to get the gps on then download nav4all (free navigation software) it works like telenav and has voice navigation and all its awesome !

terryfz no está en línea Stack level 1

Ok i did what you said about refreshing the gps but and it has the latitude and longtitude.
    Then i went to my map and selected find me ,It did but there is no map on the screen...it was there when i first bought it and had the gps and map working but i cancelled my internet service any ideas now ...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terryfz View Post
    Ok i did what you said about refreshing the gps but and it has the latitude and longtitude.
    Then i went to my map and selected find me ,It did but there is no map on the screen...it was there when i first bought it and had the gps and map working but i cancelled my internet service any ideas now ...thanks
    You must have a data plan for Google Maps or BB Maps, since they use data to load the maps, so if you canceled it then that is the problem.