Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Apples and oranges. The packages are v4.2.2.312 (AT&T) and v4.2.2.338 (Singapore Telecom). The AT&T package ... BlackBerry Curve forum

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: How to: Get BB Maps on 8310

Advertisement

Apples and oranges. The packages are v4.2.2.312 (AT&T) and v4.2.2.338 (Singapore Telecom). The AT&T package includesApplications v4.2.2.170 & Platform v2.5.0.30 while the Singapore Telecom package includes Applications v4.2.2.184 & Platform v2.5.0.40. The Applications version is what you see when you check the version in your BB.

In other words, your BB came with the latest version AT&T has published. Many of us have upgraded to non-AT&T versions to get the latest version... but realizing that AT&T isn't going to give tech support fordevice unless we back it down to the AT&T version.

Be careful not to mix up 8300 and 8310 versions. Stick to what is out for your model.

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Makes sense. So if I was to upgrade it would be to the .312 version. I'm just tryuing to get that damn "shared" folder to display so I can get BB maps

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, you *can* upgrade an AT&T Curve 8310 to the SingTel .338 package by downloading it then finding and deleting the vendor.xml file. Be sure to back everything up of course, but it should restore intact. See the 2nd link in reddog187's post for instructions. Secondary benefit of doing this is you get rid of any weird restrictions AT&T put in the OS about running stuff (I believe).

As a side note, is there a reason you're focused on BB Maps as opposed to going with Google Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by lew2 View Post
    Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, you *can* upgrade an AT&T Curve 8310 to the SingTel .338 package by downloading it then finding and deleting the vendor.xml file. Be sure to back everything up of course, but it should restore intact. See the 2nd link in reddog187's post for instructions. Secondary benefit of doing this is you get rid of any weird restrictions AT&T put in the OS about running stuff (I believe).

As a side note, is there a reason you're focused on BB Maps as opposed to going with Google Maps?
    Thanks for the help. I have google maps, but just wanted BB maps as well. It's not a big deal but figured since I have never downloaded another OS this may be a good time to do so.

Jwilliams1008 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2448c9dd

I followed the directions exactly. I edited the LBS file and started the desktop manager. When I restarted my phone maps still wasn't there. I then downloaded it ota. Started up maps but it never loaded and the gps wouldn't find a satellite. When I went back to install a theme from my computer using the desktop manager it said it was uninstalling the maps file because it wasn't recognized.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilliams1008 View Post
    Started up maps but it never loaded and the gps wouldn't find a satellite. When I went back to install a theme from my computer using the desktop manager it said it was uninstalling the maps file because it wasn't recognized.
    You need to be outside to find satellites for the first time.

Also if the desktop manger is removing BB maps then the LBS wasn't edited correctly.

PIN/ID
    2448c9dd

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    You need to be outside to find satellites for the first time.

Also if the desktop manger is removing BB maps then the LBS wasn't edited correctly.
    The lbs was edited correctly

PIN/ID
    STACK

The lbs was edited correctly
    Well is the Desktop Manager still wanting you remove it every time you try to load other applications?
    If it is, then the LBS isn't edited correctly. If it was edited correctly it wouldn't want to remove BB maps.

Do you have more than one version of the OS installed on your PC? Maybe you're editing and older version of the OS.

I can't be of any assistance to you if I don't have any information other than "the lbs was edited correctly". If you can elaborate then we can get to the bottom of this.

PIN/ID
    2448c9dd

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Well is the Desktop Manager still wanting you remove it every time you try to load other applications?
    If it is, then the LBS isn't edited correctly. If it was edited correctly it wouldn't want to remove BB maps.

Do you have more than one version of the OS installed on your PC? Maybe you're editing and older version of the OS.

I can't be of any assistance to you if I don't have any information other than "the lbs was edited correctly". If you can elaborate then we can get to the bottom of this.
    Only one OS installed and what more information would you want other than the lbs was edited correctly?

Is this how and what I was supposed to edit?
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|175" series="~8800">

PIN/ID
    STACK

Only one OS installed and what more information would you want other than the lbs was edited correctly?

Is this how and what I was supposed to edit?
    Yeah that looks correct. Not sure what the issue would be that would be causing it to still remove it.

kosin no está en línea Stack level 2

I also downloaded BB Maps from their website: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...berry_maps.jsp

no problems at all...

redtarga no está en línea Stack level 1

I am just in awe that there are so many smart people like Red Dog.

How did guys like you get to know such things....amazing...

And guys like me really appreciate smart guys like you giving help to average guys like us.

Otherwise, guys like us would be at the mercy of the greedy corporations....

John

PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by redtarga View Post
    I am just in awe that there are so many smart people like Red Dog.

How did guys like you get to know such things....amazing...

And guys like me really appreciate smart guys like you giving help to average guys like us.

Otherwise, guys like us would be at the mercy of the greedy corporations....

John
    I do appreciate the compliment, but I do not deserve the credit. I learned from everyone here and they were here long before I even had a BB.

I just restated and simplified the process. I really don't deserve any credit.

So I've been using BB maps for a couple weeks now, all of a sudden the icon is missing from my phone. Any ideas? It is still showing as an installed application though. I have not done anything with the OS lately and I previously followed Red Dogs instructions. Do I just need to uninstall it then reinstall it again?

PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeezy View Post
    So I've been using BB maps for a couple weeks now, all of a sudden the icon is missing from my phone. Any ideas? It is still showing as an installed application though. I have not done anything with the OS lately and I previously followed Red Dogs instructions. Do I just need to uninstall it then reinstall it again?
    That is strange. Did you change anything or install anything to your BB before this happened?

I would just install it OTA again. It should get it back. No need to uninstall it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast