Another member was kind enough to help me- but is it just options>media network>data services>off? ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ThisFlyGuy no está en línea Stack level 2

How to deactivate EDGE?

Advertisement

Another member was kind enough to help me- but is it just options>media network>data services>off?

I have edge showing on my top right corner, but i just want to make 100% sure its off. I believe it should be in lowercase lettering? I don't want to find out on my bill if it was still on. I heard bills can get pretty high when unsuspecting owners didn't know they had it on.

I'm such a newb.............i'm the one who wanted to test out the phone first before activating the data plan.

Also, when i finally activate the data plan, will EDGE still be on or should I just leave it off too?

thanks for your help.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: How to deactivate EDGE?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes that is the way to turn off data services. If you have that off you should worry about accessing the internet. It will awlays show EDGE, edge, GPRS, gprs,GSM, gsm just depending on you coverage in the area you're at.

EDGE is the only highspeed coverage. edge is data covrage just not high speed and all others are just phone and 4.4 coverage.

so as i understand i am not on internet at all correct? i just don't want to be charged extra for it

my friend with the TILT shows 3G when her Edge is off and shows E when edge is on.

I just want to make sure my edge is off....

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I didn't think AT&T would even allow dataservices to turn on unless you had the data plan... at least that's how it was with my first bb...
    /~*brooke

i'm not sure but when it turned on, i accidently went to media net and i saw the weather and some news headlines. i exited out immediately.....

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy View Post
    so as i understand i am not on internet at all correct? i just don't want to be charged extra for it

my friend with the TILT shows 3G when her Edge is off and shows E when edge is on.

I just want to make sure my edge is off....
    3G is the next step above Edge. It's just the higher speed data connection. This does not indicate that your friend's data service is off, only that she has the 3G connection instead of Edge. Don't try to compare indications between the BB and the Tilt. They don't operate the same way.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Varekai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

If you dont have the service you cannot access it, the internet that is. They wont allow you to just get on the net and browse around then charge you, you must have some internet plan on the BB plan already, which is why it shows EDGE. If you didnt it would just be edge and you couldnt access internet, also I believe with weather and the at&t online mall, or w/e its called now, is a free service.

Quote Originally Posted by Varekai View Post
    If you dont have the service you cannot access it, the internet that is. They wont allow you to just get on the net and browse around then charge you, you must have some internet plan on the BB plan already, which is why it shows EDGE. If you didnt it would just be edge and you couldnt access internet, also I believe with weather and the at&t online mall, or w/e its called now, is a free service.
    ooh ok thanks. thats great that they include it free then.