Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by cyberspastic Letting your battery die was good practice for older-type batteries. It's ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: How low do you let your battery get?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cyberspastic View Post
    Letting your battery die was good practice for older-type batteries. It's not necessary to do that with the newer kind. I charge mine every night, all night, no matter what the battery level is. It works well for me.
    this is really reassuring to hear... i can't live w/o my phone working.. so i charge mine whenever i see it down to 2 bars.. =D

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

sometimes i run it allthe way down, the rest is anywhere between 30-20%

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by asdf12321 View Post
    On a related question (instead of opening a new thread), is it true that charging a device while its on can "burn" the battery, eventually reducing its life? In other words, is it safe to charge the BB while its on?
    TX!
    Yes it is perfectly safe as long as the charger specs match those of the devices requirement (ie some use third party chargers or no OEM chargers, and although they will work, if the specs are wrong you can ruin your battery through overcharging, escpecially if the charger doesn't have the sensing microarchitecture to stop or slow the charging rate when the battery nears completion of charging cycle. Keep in mind some devices build the architecture into the devices so it wouldn't matter in those devices, and I don't know how the BB does their charging circuits).
    If you asre using OEM chargers (or some from the trusted third party providers) then you should be fine. With the exception of the needed battery pull from time to time, I have not shut off one of my devices (be it WM, BB, or Palm) in the last 7 years as this is my only line of communication and I can't afford to miss important calls in my family and line of work. My devices are on 24/7 and I just hot plug the chargers when they are low and in need of recharge.

Also, it is now really recommended to fully drain a LiIon cell as they can kill the cell (not really a worry if draining through the device as the device battery level sensing architecture will shut down the device when it senses the battery is too low and may endanger the battery cells from overdischarge. Havind said that though, I and numerous others through clinical testing have found that for a new battery, deep cycling the battery (letting it go down until the device shuts off) for the first 2-3 charge cycles of the batteries life will deep cycle the chemistry and help to extend the battery life a little (and I try once a month to let the battery deep cycle to help the battery life as well) and have always had great battery life in my emergency radios and all of my devices (usually better than friends who don't do the same with their devices, but that isn't exactly fair comparisons as maybe my usage isn't as harsh on the battery as theirs is or vice versa).
    Last edited by squeakr; 12-02-2007 at 08:25 AM.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

bushy...go to seidioonline and there you can find anything your BB-heart desires...also you can try the BB shop right here in the forums...hope this helps and welcome to the stacks!

p.s. try to stay on topic...that's why people didn't answer you...if you need to post a new thread to get your question(s) answered

cchvz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f293e3

I've had my 8800 since April and I do a combination of everything from. Run down to leave it chargeing all night and I thought the battery performance might be effected so I bought a new battery for my phone to test it out and realized that the old battery lasts just as long as the new one on a single charge. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

BryanS no está en línea Stack level 2

I've got a 2600 mah extended battery and 1500 mah oem size battery from seidioonline.com

The extended battery came with a back cover that is bumped out a bit to accomodate the bigger sized battery. I got nearly 5 days between recharing with frequent use.

The 1500 mah battery fits behind the stock cover and gives me plenty of use. I've only had it for 4 days so I haven't even achieved its max capacity (seidio claims they reach max performance after ~5 charges). I'm noticing that I get quite a bit more life already as compared to the oem battery.

I'd recommend either, depending on your power needs and the type of case you prefer. I like the extended battery but use a pocketpouch so the oem size fits my needs better. The extended is easier to use too since it gives you a little something extra to hold onto.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

yeah the discharging and letting the phone dies is pretty much applicable to the older type of batteries which has the "memory effect". Those are the Nickel Cadmium ones.. Right now most of these guys uses the Lithium Ion and does not have the memory effect or the false bottom effect.

I charge my phone every night, mostly i am down to 25% anyway before i hit the sack..

nimicus no está en línea Stack level 2

I charge mine everyday, regardless of where it's at (usually 30% sometimes less). Bluetooth=off;
    Wi-Fi=off (unless in a known wif-fi location);
    Viigo=auto update every 2 hours;
    bbweather=auto update every 30 min for current weather and 2 hrs for forecast;
    grand total of I would say 2-3 hrs of "crackin" i.e. googling random crap, pinstacking, brickbreaker, etc...;
    Backlight=30;
    Backlight Timeout=30 sec;
    anywhere between 20-30 messages per day sometimes more;
    and more stuff I can't think of right now

Considering the phone is off the charge and "working" from 6 am to 12 am every weekday, battery life is good in my opinion. My old RAZR would be dead by 10 am if I did the number of stuff with it that I do with the BB Curve.
    Last edited by nimicus; 12-13-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: just because I can

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I will say that with all my activity, I charge it every day to day and half. Usually when it's at 15 to 20 percent. Can't afford to have it so low that it doesn't work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12