I just hit MobileSpeedTest from my 8320 Curve (running 4.5.0.52), currently Wi-Fi is off, and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BerrySmartUser no está en línea Stack level 3

How Fast is TMO's EDGE Network?

Advertisement

I just hit MobileSpeedTest from my 8320 Curve (running 4.5.0.52), currently Wi-Fi is off, and I have solid EDGE and full signal strength. I also ran the test using Opera Mini not the built in BB browser..

I was pretty surprised with the results, 1.71MBPS. How accurate can these tests be? T-Mobile's site doesn't have anything specific, except that performance will vary depending on weather, signal, network traffic, blah blah blah.

Needless to say I thought Sprint's EVDO connection was faster, so one of my unwilling coworkers let me borrow her phone to run a test. Her results were much slower than mine.

Has anyone else done any speed testing? Just curious to know..

My Results:

beeutiful37 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2423D702
    I Want To Know How Ur Curve Is Doing With The New Os (.52)---mine Is Acting Crazy----serious Battery Draining Problems

BerrySmartUser no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by beeutiful37 View Post
    I Want To Know How Ur Curve Is Doing With The New Os (.52)---mine Is Acting Crazy----serious Battery Draining Problems
    Which version are you running? The "Official" Orange UK release or the beta?

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm sure that test is not accurate. Hardware limitations on EDGE would not allow for that speed.

Whatever that speed test is doing, its probably getting cached information (like an image file) from Tmobile's proxy server or something.

o2sys no está en línea Stack level 2
    TMO EDGE is garbage, slowest data connection compared to any other networks, i dont even think its really EDGE, just GPRS...

I just tried out the site with my 8320 and says 292.57 Mbps, lol

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dantek View Post
    I also ran the test using Opera Mini not the built in BB browser..
    That would be why you got such a high speed. Opera Mini fetches pages through a proxy server which downloads the page, transforms it into a proprietary rendering language, and sends it to the BlackBerry.

The speed you see is the link from your speed testing site to the Opera proxy server.

In tethering, the typical speeds are about 200 kbps, or 25 kBps, and latency of 500 to 1000 ms. Pretty slow, mostly due to the latency.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    When I had 4.2 it was pretty slow, but with 4.5 I've notice a significant change with the speed of EDGE, much faster.

Z.SmithPearl no está en línea Stack level 2
    T-Mobile EDGE is up to 240kbps but that's the max.