Ever since I got my Curve 8310 I have to deal with entering a password ... BlackBerry Curve forum

abeylak17 no está en línea Stack level 1

How do I Disable device password on BB Curve 8310

Advertisement

Ever since I got my Curve 8310 I have to deal with entering a password every time the phone is idle for more than 10 minutes. Quite annoying. I can't seem to disable it though. In the Options menu I go to Security Options, then General, and next to Password it says Enable but it has a little red lock symbol and when I click on Enable (should be a drop-down menu to select Disable from there), it jsut gives me the following options: Help, Change Password, Wipe Handheld, Verify Security Software, Save, Switch Application and Close. Nowhere in those options is the option to disable the password, I've looked.

Tried changing the password to see if there was an option there to disable the password, but there was no such option and I have to either exit out or just change the password.

What can I do to disable the password?

bigbinxter no está en línea Stack level 1
    By any chance, is your BlackBerry hooked up to your work e-mail?

That little red lock means that you have an IT Security Policy that's enforcing that password, and preventing you from changing the setting. If you're hooked up to a BES server, particularly through work, then they probably enforce that password policy so if your phone falls into the wrong hands, they can't get to your work e-mail or impersonate you.

The policy might allow you to extend the locking time out to 30 minutes.

Have you tried that?
    Binx

abeylak17 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have no connection with a job related email account or BES. This is a totally independant matter. I just bought it on Craigs List it's wrk fine with my sim.

abeylak

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    When you go in to Options>Security Options>General Settings is there anything listed for IT Policy Name??? Chances are if it is a used device it was on a BES at one point and still has the IT Policy on it.

hoosierdaddynow no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249f8227
    I might be wrong but I thought that if you would input the wrong password in ten times in a row, it would wipe your handheld. I think it will also remove password. Would like somebody else confirm this before trying.

No you cannot remove the password by doing that. You could even reload the software and the password requirement would still be there. He would have to try one of the alternate ways of removing the it policy using the policy.bin file. Do some searching around the forums and you should find out how to remove the policy.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Using the policy.bin file will remove the it policy from the device but all it does is place a blank policy in it's place. The password lock will go away but the firewall lock will stay so some apps still won't work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah but all he is asking about is the password. If he wants the password gone the policy.bin file is just about his only option

martineer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    28A6B419
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I found I had a similar problem everytime I soft reset my BB. I had never knowingly set one up in the first place and this is my first BB. I disabled security on the sim card via options menu and I am no longer asked for the password

kummerdotjones no está en línea Stack level 1

Remove little red lock

I just got a BB yesterday, so bare with me. What I did was go to
    Options/Media Card

note to see if MEDIA CARD SUPPORT is ON or OFF (mine is ON)
    the next line ENCRYPTION MODE should be NONE.

once i changed this, I was able to go to SECURITY OPTIONS/GENERAL SETTINGS
    and then disable the password. Hopes this helps

8330 user