For some reason, I'm now having a long period of spinning hourglass after reboots. This ... BlackBerry Curve forum

lamoglinsgal no está en línea Stack level 3

Hourglass on reboot

Advertisement

For some reason, I'm now having a long period of spinning hourglass after reboots. This is not on the white screen, but after the phone boots up. The hour glass just sits and spins and makes the phone very sluggish to use until it's done. What is it doing? This didn't happen after any new app install.

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Do you have any 3rd party theme running on your BB? Some themes, for me at least, have been known to do that. Also, is this hourglass coming up before or after the Security Software check?
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

It's after the security check, and I do have a third-party theme. It didn't do it the first few days I had the theme, but I guess it could be that. I think it might be WeatherBug loading up. This last time, when I went ahead and clicked on WeatherBug during the hourglass to refresh it, it went away.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ahhh, if you can, try to uninstall weatherbug, do a reboot and see if that hourglass is still popping up on you after booting.
    ---

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I'm pretty sure you found the problem, you can try weather eye if you need a free weather app, they are adding radar maps now
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.130 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Lots of 3rd party apps use an auto-update feature that can seriously slow you device down. I have all of mine except for WeatherBug set to manual so that I have to refresh them when I load the app.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

danny v no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AFF1C6
    Mine does this also.due to the fact i have a 16gb memory card that's almost full which the device scans after rebooting,if you have a HC memory card this could also be what your experiencing.it juts has to read the card.totally normal even if it takes a min.next time you reboot check media soon as your device turns on to see if its scanning.that is if you have a media card.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Well, WB wasn't the culprit after all. Through process of elimination, it wasn't any third-party app or theme. It didn't occur to me until I'd gone through all of that, but a few days ago, I was trying to get DM to finally work on my computer. I have the issue where my computer recognizes my BB, but DM does not. (VIista) I had read here someone installed DM with their BB plugged in. When I opened DM, had my phone plugged in and it said there was the 5.0 upgrade. I decided to leave the phone in and run the update.

Well, of course, DM still doesn't work on my computer, and that's when the hourglass problem started. I ended up doing a complete wipe with JL_CMDR and reinstalling the OS. I now have all of the same apps on my phone, and it's running perfectly.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    excellent! Hope others benefit from the solution.
    ---

zipporic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B606F3
    I've found that using the escreen - thank you thyth for doing the great work by the way - is helpful in those situations. You can go into it and see what process or app is using up all of your memory, code modules, so on and causing your processor to top out like that.

This is the link to unlock your escreen:
    http://absolous.no-ip.com/projects/escreen/

Again, many thanks to thyth for giving this priceless tool to us.
    BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.100 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100