Greetings all. I am a new Blackberry owner and I have a few questions about ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mrhumble1 no está en línea Stack level 1

HomeScreen, Theme, Connectivity Questions

Advertisement

Greetings all.

I am a new Blackberry owner and I have a few questions about the homescreen, themes, and connectivity.

1. I would love to have weather info, RSS feeds, links, etc. displayed on the homescreen layered over the background. Since I have an unlimited internet plan, I would like to be able to display/update these things over the background image without having to load a specific app. Is any of this possible?

2. My 8320 has wi-fi built in and can connect to the internet through my router while I am at home. Is there any way I can set up the 8320 to browse to shared folders on my computer? I have a media server here that holds all my vids and it would be nice if I could copy them to my Blackberry over the air.

3. WHERE ARE CUSTOM THEMES???? I have owned many phones and the internet is just dripping with user-made themes for them. The only themes I have really found for my 8320 are sold by sites and none of them look good to me. I would like to try making my own themes but I have no idea how that would be done.

For all I know, none of this functionality is even available. Whether it is or not, I really like my Blackberry so far. I just want to get as much out of it as I can.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jason
    </SPAN>

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: HomeScreen, Theme, Connectivity Questions

Welcome to PinStack .

1. Not really possible at this time except possibly for the weather.

2. Don't think so but not sure. You might be able to do it with one of the Remote Connect apps available, but I don't know if they have integrated the WiFI yet.

3. Check the 8300 Themes Forum. And the Software & Theme dev Forum for theme building

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Smith1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi Jason,

1. There is no way I know of to overlay apps in a today type theme natively. If you are looking for a good rss app I can certainly recommend Viigo. This is free and can be downloaded over the air. You can find this and some more nifty free apps at mobile dot blackberry dot com (use your bb browser)

2. Again, this is not possible natively but keep an eye out for a new product fom RIM called Unite. This should allow you to accomplish this and more.

It’s free software that lets you access shared pictures, calendars, documents and more on BlackBerry smartphones. It can be downloaded and installed in minutes on a regular desktop computer. Try a quick google search for more info....

3. There are loads of custom themes about, some are free and others come ata cost. You should find quite a few within the pinstack threads. ******** is another good site with some free themes. If you want to try your hand at designing your own you will need to download the free dev tools from blackberry dot com/developers. Specifically you will need the plazmic theme builder tool. You will find all the relevant docs on RIMs site.

Happy hunting
    Smith

That's a bummer. I am sure I'm not the only one who would like to see more web-enabled info on the homescreen. Oh well.

I am still looking for themes, and hopefully I'll find one that's what I am looking for. I might try making my own but I'm an administrator, not a developer. We'll see if I have some time on my hands soon.

As for network connectivity for file sharing, I don't see why that doesn't work on the models that have wi-fi. Hopefully that will happen at some point.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Jason

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Theme building is mainly graphics and drag and drop. Not much developing to be done other then the graphics, that's the hard part.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Well, graphics are an issue too. I can draw/design about as well as can I fly around by flapping my arms. I have plenty of nice wallpapers though so that part's covered.

However, I am going to try to build a theme. I'm installing the Plazmic CDK as we speak. Hopefully I can come up with something.

Jason