Hey all, I need some help. I downloaded desktop manager 4.6 and updated my AT&T ... BlackBerry Curve forum

abiz no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2424DBC5

Help with Desktop manager

Advertisement

Hey all, I need some help. I downloaded desktop manager 4.6 and updated my AT&T blackberry 8300 to 4.2.2.166 which is the latest AT&T updated software. Well after looking around online and finding some bold themes that would work, i downloaded them, but my desktop software will not upload them to my bb. WTF?! I tried to ota and could not because the site would give me some error everytime i tried. Can someone please help me try and figure this out?

Thanks

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Just to be sure, make sure you're not loading 4.5 themes - they won't work on your 4.2 OS.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    2424DBC5
    From what I saw they work for 4.2. If you got to themes 4 bb .com and click shop 83xx themes it is listed as BB 9000 Bold Bottom Dock. I'm sorry I tried to post a link, but I'm not level 2 and got shot down.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by abiz; 10-11-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Wrong typing

Just for grins go to the Pinstack free theme forum and try there. Just pick out something you like and give it a try here to see whether it works or not.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    2424DBC5
    Tried one from the free theme forum and it did not work either. i can do ota and it works, but not through the application loader in dm ver4.6. i don't know what the problem is, but it's starting to become frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by abiz View Post
    Tried one from the free theme forum and it did not work either. i can do ota and it works, but not through the application loader in dm ver4.6. i don't know what the problem is, but it's starting to become frustrating.
    What to you do and what are the results when you attempt to load a theme using DM? Be as specific as possible defining "did not work".

You're not running Vista, are you? That could make a difference! If so, we need to get a Vista person to help you.

PIN/ID
    2424DBC5
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    What to you do and what are the results when you attempt to load a theme using DM? Be as specific as possible defining "did not work".

You're not running Vista, are you? That could make a difference! If so, we need to get a Vista person to help you.

When I go into the application loader it loads what is on my blackberry, and then I select the new theme in the "browse" feature. I have to change the files of type from application loader *.alx and *.ali to all file types to find the theme I want. I select the one I want, click open and it acts as if it is loading. Once done a pop up box comes up and says "No additional applications designed for your device were found" At that point the theme I wanted is not in the selectable list.

I am not running vista at all. I have a XP laptop that I am using for this as well as a Mac mini that I don't use for blackberry apps.

Thanks for the help.

What you have to have for DM to load a theme successfully is a .alx file. I don't get the part about you changing the file type. If ap loader doesn't find the file you're looking for you simply do a browse and point to a .alx file. Is that NOT what you're doing?

PIN/ID
    2424DBC5
    None of the themes I got came with the .alx file. That could be my problem.

That IS your problem. Look for the .zip file to download to your p-c. Unzip it and you will find 2 files: .alx and .cod files. You point to the .aix file when you load it with DM. When you do that you'll succeed. Good luck.

PIN/ID
    2424DBC5
    Thanks for the help. I got it figured out now. BTW the site I got the bold theme on, was an OTA site, it just never told you it was an ota site, so I was dl on my laptop and trying to install that way. I had to change the "file types" box because it was a .jad file. I'll learn soon enough I guess. Again, thanks for all the help.

It's not too hard to learn the different file types - you're catching on. As you just learned, .jad files are for installing OTA and .alx for installing with Desktop Mgr. Have fun.