Hi. I am an ownder of an 8330 Verizon. I ran across this really cool ... BlackBerry Curve forum

darthlancer no está en línea Stack level 1

HELP...Unlock GPS for 3rd party apps???

Advertisement

Hi. I am an ownder of an 8330 Verizon. I ran across this really cool golf GPS application for BB and just when I was about to download it, it said it would NOT work with Verizon due to them locking the GPS to all 3rd party apps.

I did quite a bit of reading and came across posts about making some modifications on the BB that will allow 3rd party apps to access the internal GPS.

I have been an application developer for 20 years but I have been on the IBM midrange systems. However I think with a little bit of guidance, I could stumble my way thru modifying the code to get my GPS to work with 3rd party apps.

Could anyone be so kind as to give me a point in the right direction? I have an idea of what to do..just dont know HOW to get to the code and the procedures to take.

I really dont want to go buy a Storm.... my 8330 is only 9 months old...so I will have to pay full retail price for a new storm. Screw that..... I really dont like verizon for pulling this sh*t ...very lame to disable the internal GPS.

Thanks.....

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Darth,

I don't mean to be discouraging but I've done a lot of looking in the recent past and talked with several BB-savvy users too. I'm not aware of a way to unlock the GPS and I can't "point you" in any direction. However, I'll be one of many real interested users to know if you find a way to do it.

Please don't reveal any secrets but can you give a clue as to what type thing you've found in your reading? I found a lot of interest but not even a hint as to a solution. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Hey darth I sent you a pm with my pin I may have some info for you about this whole gps verizon crap
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The PDE authorization related hacks for Verizon you are referring to are not really useful to anyone other than developers with a RIM signing key, nor are they ready for prime time.

Even if you feel adventurous enough to delve into the experimental code, you'll need source code to the application you wish to edit (or a BlackBerry module decompiler to extract it from the compiled download).
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

darthlancer no está en línea Stack level 1
    wow.....this does suck. Looks like nobody has a solution.

I hate to go VW and give them more $$$$ so I can get a storm. Oh, well, it looks like they have me by the b*lls. What can I do? grrrr

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Well it looks like thyth answered the questions thank you thyth.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Ummm......

Good luck with unlocking the GPS on VZW......
    It's blocked at VZW's end.

Now, if you can hack into VZW, hack their code, and broadcast it to the BB's.....
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

Just one other comment - in at a few instances that have been reported, if you have the 8330 and upgrade to 4.5.0.160 it seems to unlock the GPS enough to work with BB Maps and, occasionally, Google Maps...for what that's worth.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

omegaf150 no está en línea Stack level 1
    You don't need to upgrade to .160 for that. When they came out with 4.5 in genneralit unlocked bb maps.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaf150 View Post
    You don't need to upgrade to .160 for that. When they came out with 4.5 in genneralit unlocked bb maps.
    Not my 4.5! I've had 4.5 on my 8330 for a LONG time with no GPS. I just moved from .127 to .160 and that's the 1st time it's been unlocked on MY 8330. Believe me, I checked often!
    Last edited by jblackfish; 06-21-2009 at 08:35 AM.

hyphen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30BCDAA6
    tats wat I was thinkn y not use a sprint beta os n erase the vendor file?