Hello. Okay, so I skipped this part of the BB setup process last week when ... BlackBerry Curve forum

1024MB no está en línea Stack level 1

Question [Help] starting BIS on 8310 (refurb)

Advertisement

Hello. Okay, so I skipped this part of the BB setup process last week when I got my phone.

On Monday I tried accessing some information from my bank only to receive an 'SSL Disabled' message on my screen. From there I went to BB Setup>Setup Wizard>Email Setup, and the only options now are (1)...work email acct w/ Enterprise... , and (2) the skip email setup option.

I went into Manage Connections>Services Status and found out that BIS and BES aren't connected. Also, I checked my App Permissions under Security Options, but BIS nor BES were there...should they be?

A small side question here...under Enterprise activation (Adv Opts), email and pw are blank - i should probably know these before attempting to activate, correct? How?

Lastly, I just downloaded BIS v4.1 from AT&T because I didn't see it anywhere on my phone. It didn't cross my mind last week that I would need to set that part up, for some reason. How would I go about loading that on my phone thru the DM? (I tried setting up a BIS acct on AT&T, but 'have to register my device with the network' - is this related to above paragraph?)

Sorry for being long-winded, just trying to be specific as none of the other 'BIS posts' that I read didn't seem to match my predicament. Please help me get my BIS working.
    (running OS v4.2.2.170)
    Thank you

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Try to answer all of it for you.

1) BES - This is only if you have Exchange, Notes/Domino or Groupwise mail servers (ie. ususally a company) - there's also Unite, but leave that discussion til you've been using your Berry for awhile.

(Yes, Enterprise Activation is only for use with BES).

2) BIS - You'll have an E-Mail Setup icon there on your home screen....use that to setup your BIS account.

You downloaded BIS 4.1 from AT&T? (not quite sure what you downloaded).

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Can you use your PC to set up your email? That is the best and easiest way.

http://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

Erm, no it's not (when you do it with the e-mail setup icon on the device, you don't have to type in your pin and IMEI)

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    Erm, no it's not (when you do it with the e-mail setup icon on the device, you don't have to type in your pin and IMEI)
    I understand that but using the PC makes sure you're setting up the account properly and there have been issues in the past with registering via the device.

Hmm...maybe several iterations of the HH software ago. 4.2.x and higher the e-mail setup icon's been pretty robust. (well, that and the end-of-life of BIS 1.8 and it's associated self-provisioning).

Thanks Ridicule and reddog for replying.

Ridicule, I dont have any email icon on my home screen (no theme atm), or anything related to email on phone (what?) which led me to believe I needed the download. (Argh! Sorry, cant post links). Not quite sure what happened to my email.

reddog187, I tried that method before, but got a pop-up saying I needed to register my device with the network. I just ignored this message, and successfully setup the acct - still nothing on phone regarding email (icons, etc)
    , though.

Should I install the exe from AT&T? If so, how? Also, how do I register my device if there's nothing on my phone to do that with?

thanks again

pebbly no está en línea Stack level 1
    do you have a data plan?.

(good point pebbly!) 1024B, you HAVE signed up for BB service with your carrier, right? (you can't just buy a BB, slap a SIM in it and expect it to work - you actually have to subscribe to the BB service).

Now, presuming you have - go into options, advanced options, host routing table - confirm that you have entries there (maybe reply with what one of them looks like). If it's blank, hit the menu and select register now. See if that doesn't get you some entries.

pebbly no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for that Ridicule,being a newbie myself i have learnt alot from this forum,i came from an ordinary cellphone to a BB and was overwhelmed with it all (still am!)so every little piece of info,no matter how small helps. so guys and gals keep up the good work and many,many thanks
    pebbly

you're right, pebbly. small oversight on my end, haha (oops!). I thought I had the data plan already, but I spoke w/ cust svc today and everything is cool.

sorry (and thanks!) everyone
    *darn newbs*