I'm finally posting after "lurking" around the posts and reading up on all this information ... BlackBerry Curve forum

maxdon no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello! Newbie here...trying to get set up..

Advertisement

I'm finally posting after "lurking" around the posts and reading up on all this information on BB's...Wow! I didn't realize there was this whole BB community!

First, sorry for the vague heading, as I don't have one specific question. I have read some great things about the BB curve and am anxious to be really using mine--right now I'm just calling and checking email! Please bear with me as there's a million things to ask, but I won't right now.

I am looking for some real basic set up and help getting all the goodies for the phone!

I've never had a BB--just got the Curve 8300--must have had a very savvy salesperson, since I didn't walk into the store with the intention of buying it! But I did!

I guess I would like to know what I need to "set up" on it to have it work the best. Right now, the salesperson got the email set up, so I am able to check that. I put in the little media card, as I would like to download some music and games and ringtones and what not.

What do I need to know, or where can I find it, about accessing the internet? Do I need to do any set up? OS stuff? any internet security needed like on a pc? or would my phone be "set to go"?
    (I'm also assuming any web/internet time is using the phone minutes...right?)

Also, is there a link to getting started on downloading? As in "how to"? I have the USB cord for the PC connection, so I shouldn't have to take out the little SD card, correct? I won't need the adapter for the SD card???

What about backing up information that I have on the BB? How/Can I save that data on my PC as well incase something happens to the phone? I would like to take notes for class, conferences, etc, and then transfer them to my PC.

So, this is a rather long post & random questions/thinking, sorry for the simple start up questions! I'm hoping some of you veteran BB users could help or point me in the right direction! The guides and start up info that comes with the phone don't seem to cover, at least not in enough detail for me, my questions. I will continue to search on this site as well...I wanted to post too, since asking never (usually) hurts!

Thanks in advance! (The more I read and browse around here, the more excited I am about my purchase!...no buyers remorse, yet!)

D.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Re: Hello! Newbie here...trying to get set up..

Welcome to Pinstack!
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

jfreeman3 no está en línea Stack level 2

Hello

Some of the things you can do may depend on who your carrier is and what kind of service plan you have.

Thanks for the welcome & replies! I will check into the service/contract...I just switched to AT&T and am also paying the extra monthly fee for data--use of internet, I believe that's what it's called...like I said, this is all new to me, haven't had the phone for a full week yet!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdon
    Wow! I didn't realize there was this whole BB community!

I am looking for some real basic set up and help getting all the goodies for the phone!

I've never had a BB--just got the Curve 8300--must have had a very savvy salesperson, since I didn't walk into the store with the intention of buying it! But I did!

I put in the little media card, as I would like to download some music and games and ringtones and what not.

What do I need to know, or where can I find it, about accessing the internet? Do I need to do any set up? OS stuff? any internet security needed like on a pc? or would my phone be "set to go"?
    (I'm also assuming any web/internet time is using the phone minutes...right?)

Also, is there a link to getting started on downloading? As in "how to"? I have the USB cord for the PC connection, so I shouldn't have to take out the little SD card, correct? I won't need the adapter for the SD card???

What about backing up information that I have on the BB? How/Can I save that data on my PC as well incase something happens to the phone? I would like to take notes for class, conferences, etc, and then transfer them to my PC.
    First, welcome to the Stacks. Your salesperson did a good job making the sale and setting up your email for you. You're not the only one here who has never had a BlackBerry. There are many new BB owners here. A lot of us who are experienced here now were also new owners a few years ago. My fist BB was a 950 about 4 or 5 years ago.

The media card is for holding ringtones, pictures, songs, themes, and movies. You don't have to remove the media card unless it starts creating problems for you.

Games and applications are stored on your device only.

To access the internet you have to have a BlackBerry internet data plan which your salesperson already set up for you. This does not use your minutes from your voice package. It is totally separate.

You have 2 options for downloads. The first is over the air and is the simplest way to get stuff on your BB. The second is using desktop manager's application loader and the USB cord.

You will also use Desktop Manager for backing up your BB (via the backup/restore function), as well as updating your BB operating system. You can also use the switch device wizard if you should ever have to replace your BB (and this unfortunately does have to happen so don't be surprised) or if you decide you want to get a new device on your own.

The Memo Pad is great for taking notes. Just connect your bb to your pc and synch your notes or transfer them to an email and email them to an account on your pc.

Hope all of this helps. Welcome to the addiction that is called BlackBerry or CrackBerry.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ disregard the first post. I hate when I press enter too soon on my BB.

Thanks-again!
    If I download ringtones and music to my pc, I just save them in a folder and then transfer them via USB cord to my BB? Would that be the same for games? Just saved/stored either on media card or right on the phone?
    I have only looked through the ATT mobile music...I'll check out some of the links thru this site, too!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

You can save the music and videos to your media card via USB. Games and other programs have to be installed on the device itself.

Thanks!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Hello and welcome to the Stacks...you will find tons of useful information especially stickied above under the 8300 forum section. Good luck, have fun and don't hesitate to ask should you have any questions
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Thanks for the welcome! I have been very preoccupied with the forums and links...currently reading up on changing the wallpaper and themes! It's a little overwhelming now, but I'm sure as I start trying and adding things, it'll be easier and less scary! I just don't want to screw up my phone!
    I'm glad to have found this site as it covers so many of my questions so far! I'm sure I'll be back posting more as needed!

ckitchens no está en línea Stack level 1

I just purchased my first BlackBerry on Monday and I haven't been able to put it down since. This forum has a wealth of information on keyboard shortcuts, separate ringtones for calls/email/sms, and many more topics that have been helpful to me. If you have a question, more than likely you're not the first one to ask. Search the forums and you'll probably find your answer. These guys and gals have made my BB experience a whole lot easier.

Welcome.

Yes! I totally agree! I most always check in to see what others post to try to get in insight on the BB. I too have a hard time keeping it out of my hands! I was just called a "gadget girl" (which is funny since I'm the least technological person I know!) I am always playing around with it and getting it set up....still, I am looking for some games and ringtones to download!
    Thanks for the welcome!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Welcome to Pinstack..