Now that I've got bb maps and google maps on my phone, I can't seem ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3

GPS stuck at searching for satellites

Advertisement

Now that I've got bb maps and google maps on my phone, I can't seem to get the gps to work. Even when I go to options-adv-gps it still gets stuck at the same point. I hope that my phone isn't broke! How long does it take to find its location? Any other advise?

jgagnon01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245287E8
    Do you have a data plan? I don't have one but I am still able to locate satellites. It usualy takes abut a minute or two for me.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You need to be outside with a clear view of the sky when first trying to locate the satellites. Once aquired then you shouldn't have any issues unless your in a building with a lot of shielding.
    Last edited by reddog187; 04-09-2008 at 03:24 AM.

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    @ reddog187
    Does the Curve have AGPS (Assisted GPS) as in N Series Nokia phones - which is supposed to get satellite info from the Web. It is claimed that AGPS reduces satellite search time.

PIN/ID
    STACK
    Quote Originally Posted by dilipc View Post
    @ reddog187
    Does the Curve have AGPS (Assisted GPS) as in N Series Nokia phones - which is supposed to get satellite info from the Web. It is claimed that AGPS reduces satellite search time.
    @dilipc Pretty sure that it is a straight GPS receiver. I don't think it gets any information from the web other than the maps that are needed.

Usually the search time is fairly quick depending on your location though. I just moved and at my old place from my room on the top floor I couldn't get a signal. Now at my new place I live in the basement and can locate satellites with very little effort. It just depends on location. Basically once you've acquired the satellites it shouldn't take more that a few minutes to find them again.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
    Now that I've got bb maps and google maps on my phone, I can't seem to get the gps to work. Even when I go to options-adv-gps it still gets stuck at the same point. I hope that my phone isn't broke! How long does it take to find its location? Any other advise?
    According to your profile, you have an 8300. The 8300 does not have GPS, the only Curve that does is the 8310.
    If you are using a GPS puck, please disregard this message, but since you have not mentioned the GPS puck and said that you "hope my phone isn't broke!", I'm assuming you're not using one.

My apology for not editing my profile just yet but I just got a new 8310 2 days ago. Sine I've got the latest os(.40), got rid of ptt, and loaded a theme from plazmic that I made. I was only able to get my gps to work the first time I tried which wasn't until after all the updates but hasn't worked since. Should I revert to the original os or just take it as is for help or a possible replacement? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If you have the latest OS and its not the beta it should be working. Did you go outside and try acquire the satellites?

Still no go on them satellites. Still has the original attempt time and location after it times out. I guess I'm going back to the att store.

grahamy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2436056d
    im getting the same problem, but its an att phone unlocked for tmo service.
    not sure if thats the problem or not

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    @dilipc Pretty sure that it is a straight GPS receiver. I don't think it gets any information from the web other than the maps that are needed.

Usually the search time is fairly quick depending on your location though. I just moved and at my old place from my room on the top floor I couldn't get a signal. Now at my new place I live in the basement and can locate satellites with very little effort. It just depends on location. Basically once you've acquired the satellites it shouldn't take more that a few minutes to find them again.

What do you think of this? Is BB now (OS 4.5) web enabled for GPS? What does "Location Aiding" mean? I do find it finds satellites way faster.

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!

What do you think of this? Is BB now (OS 4.5) web enabled for GPS? What does "Location Aiding" mean? I do find it finds satellites way faster.

Im thinking its like cell tower helping like how google maps i think it is that kinda gets a close position with cell towers. ??? Just a guess. I really have no clue.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Yeah, really not sure what Location Aiding is. I haven't played with the beta, kinda waiting till the official one comes out.