I've been unable to get a gps signal and it just ends up searching and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

GPS issues with 8900 (Tmo customer)

Advertisement

I've been unable to get a gps signal and it just ends up searching and seems to timeout. I saw in an early thread from january that Roger network customers with 8900's had the same issue. Most times I test I am indoors. I have tested twice outdoors, but seemed to have similar results. This is a T-mobile branded handset and I am running it on Tmo service.

Anyone else with similar problem?

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5
    Mine works fine on T-Mobile. Google Maps, BLackberry Maps, GPS option under advanced and Telenav all work well.

Slightly off topic but still GPS related for 8900 - Mapquest Navigator will have a release for the 8900 in a month or two. It's alot cheaper and I like it better than Telenav except for the fact that you can't pre-plan or add addresses online like Telenav.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    I've been unable to get a gps signal and it just ends up searching and seems to timeout. I saw in an early thread from january that Roger network customers with 8900's had the same issue. Most times I test I am indoors. I have tested twice outdoors, but seemed to have similar results. This is a T-mobile branded handset and I am running it on Tmo service.

Anyone else with similar problem?

innerestin' are you still running out of the box OS? maybe hook up to DM And let it run an update (remember, like we used to do with the curves?) or ... resend books to make sure you have them all?

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3
    Mines works fine as well, I didn't notice any problems.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Location Services=ON. Be outside intially. Then use refresh position (or location I forget). Mine came up with 5 satellites really fast the first time, but some say it can take awhile the first try.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    innerestin' are you still running out of the box OS? maybe hook up to DM And let it run an update (remember, like we used to do with the curves?) or ... resend books to make sure you have them all?
    Updated to latest OS as soon as it was fully charged o.o.t.b. Service books also resent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
    Location Services=ON. Be outside intially. Then use refresh position (or location I forget). Mine came up with 5 satellites really fast the first time, but some say it can take awhile the first try.
    When I have tried outside I have been in NYC. I will try standing in the middle of an open field this weekend (seriously). Hopefully after initial picking up of satelites it will start operating smoothly.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    I am in NYC and my GPS works fine I use Amazegps and I just install the 7 day free trial of Garmin Blackberry GPS. and eveything works very good.

PIN/ID
    spam=no
    Quote Originally Posted by obione View Post
    I am in NYC and my GPS works fine I use Amazegps and I just install the 7 day free trial of Garmin Blackberry GPS. and eveything works very good.
    I'm downtown manhattan where there's a lot of tall buildings/steel which can cause interference, so that's my best guess (short of the berry might be defective). GPS is a native feature of the 8900 though so the client you choose to use shouldn't play a difference in picking up a signal.

If it still doesn't pick it up in an open, unobstructed, area then I will just be calling Tmo to swap out berries.

PIN/ID
    spam=no
    update: went down to the park across from the Staten Island ferry station.. 5 sats. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of power of the gps.

Does anyone know what type of chip they went with?