I am having some issues with my GPS and was hoping you can make sense ... BlackBerry Curve forum

immortalkhalsa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2068EBE2

GPS Issues

Advertisement

I am having some issues with my GPS and was hoping you can make sense of them.

1 - whenever I search for 'my location' in google maps it generally comes up with a location which is slightly wrong, eg maybe a few streets away etc. even when i appear to have perfect view of the sky, why does this happen?

2 - Google Maps often displays my loctaion (even tho it's slighlty off) and maps but when in the same location i try to use my telmap sat nav it often shows that my current location can not be determned. do these application not use the same GPS technology? if google map works in one area then telmap should also, right?
    Last edited by immortalkhalsa; 04-09-2008 at 04:22 PM.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Google Maps doesn't use GPS, it guesses your location base on 2 to 3 cell towers, this is why if you get out of the city where you are only one one tower at a time it will not find you at all. As for the GPS issues. are you using BB Maps? or something else. You have to have a subscription to a GPS satilite I beleive to use GPS. Some one will correct me if I am wrong on that.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The newer version of google maps does have GPS but you need to have a receiver on the device or connected via bluetooth.

immortalkhalsa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2068EBE2
    Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    Google Maps doesn't use GPS, it guesses your location base on 2 to 3 cell towers, this is why if you get out of the city where you are only one one tower at a time it will not find you at all. As for the GPS issues. are you using BB Maps? or something else. You have to have a subscription to a GPS satilite I beleive to use GPS. Some one will correct me if I am wrong on that.

i am not using BB maps i am using telmaps as a sat nav that came pre loaded on my BB. i have used this a number of times but it often comes back with no connection. but as you have said that google maps does not use the gps then i guess i cant compare the 2 applications.

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3
    but his phone is 8310...which has in built gps right? can two applications use the same gps at the same time...i mean what if he has gmaps and bbmaps running at the same time...do both the programs show the exact location?

immortal: click on "0" when in google maps, if it says your location with approximately 20 meters range or something to that effect, it is using ur gps otherwise it is using google's "My Location" feature which uses cell towers to triangulate your approx position...in which case it will say ur location with approx 1700 meters range" or something to that effect depending on ur location (but definitely greater than 20 meters range)...

saeder no está en línea Stack level 2
    Assuming you have a GPS enabled Device in Options > Advanced > GPS Confirm your GPS Source is set to 'Device GPS' and using the BB Button to do a GPS Refresh, you may be in a situation where you're receiving a poor sat signal. Often times I've had the problem in buildings, but in my car or on the street everything has worked quite well. That way you can confirm the GPS is working properly before thinking you've got an application problem.

acrimsontide no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    You don't need a subscripton to a satellite to use a GPS but you do need a data plan to use the GPS on your phone.