Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I recently saw an exchange on BGR that states that Verizon didn't lock down the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Mtrimmer no está en línea Stack level 2

GPS Applications that WORK on a VZW 8330

Advertisement

I recently saw an exchange on BGR that states that Verizon didn't lock down the GPS, it's the app developers....
    I have a HARD time believing that, but if there is anyone that has a GPS application that WORKS on a VZW8330 other than BBMaps, can you please add to this thread??
    Thanks!

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    I don't believe that is true you must pay for VZnav for GPS to work but I maybe wrong~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wolfheart no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    303744DB
    You did have to pay for VZNav to have *any* GPS functionality and it is Verizon that was blocking other apps, not the apps themselves. They recently have started scaling back on the disabling and now BBMaps is working for many people but I haven't see any confirmations of Google Maps or other software working with it yet but we shall see.
    ~ Benedictus qui venit in nomine Sathanas ~

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Does work with Blackberry Maps

I just upgraded from a Pearl and the GPS had been unlocked with the new OS upgrades. Just checked it on my Curve and sure enough, went right to my location. This is only with BB Maps and does not work with any 3rd party apps. You can get turn by turn directions but no voice.
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Bb maps ota links?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksrussian View Post
    Bb maps ota links?

You should already have bb maps since its built into the OS.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you don't have BB maps, make sure you have downloaded your OS onto your computer, then go into DM> app loader> and make sure it is checked.
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

pennaryan no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB8330 vzw (wap.pinstack.com)~ there has to be a way to unlock gps grrrr

spookthekook no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfheart View Post
    You did have to pay for VZNav to have *any* GPS functionality and it is Verizon that was blocking other apps, not the apps themselves. They recently have started scaling back on the disabling and now BBMaps is working for many people but I haven't see any confirmations of Google Maps or other software working with it yet but we shall see.
    Wolf you hit the nail on the head, after reading this post I restarted my GPS and good enuff it went right to my location on BBmaps but doesn't work (yet) with Google.. Better some then none!
    Thanks
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Ok I recently checked my gps options and there is a new option available its "8330 curve" it used to only show device gps I haven't had a chance to try it out but an app I just put on my phone black star looks like it'll work when I select "8330 curve" in gps options now ill have to try other apps I'm on verizon running 4.5.0.119 ill post back what I find out

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    have you ever paired your device to an 8330 curve via bluetooth?
    if so that's what that is, I noticed that after I added both of my co-workers phones as bluetooth accessible devices they showed up in my GPS options.

basically, you can buy those little GPS keychain pucks and pair it with your phone. now for your GPS source you select the puck and you have REAL GPS not this tower based GPS

anyway, if that 8330 is paired to your device (and it's not a verizion phone) you may be able to us the "GPS" from that phone...

I don't know I've never tried...
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Well thanks luciferseamus your right the only thing that has gps working is bb maps I had paired my phone with my wifes and Apparently that is what happened her phone showed up in the gps options. Verizon is irritating why they won't unlock gps to third party apps is beyond me. Well maybe its time I get a puck. Verizon is a good co. Just selfish and stingy

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    If you do end up getting a puck, let me know what you think about them, I've been seriously contemplating getting one for myself.

glighto11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Garmin

I broke down and quit beating myself up abount verizon blocking the GPS chip. Ordered a $30. bluetooth GPS puck off ebay. Gave Garmin they're $99. Now I couldn,t be happier. Works great! I've use Magellian, Tom-Tom and Garmin. Always thought Garmin did a better job updating. Now my curve is as good as my street pilot 320. Especially good for the motorcycle, put on the sterio headset and get turn-by-turn and phone conversation.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    I realize this is only slightly related to the list of applications that support GPS despite Verizon's device crippling touch, but it didn't seem new thread worthy.

I've figured out how Verizon controls access to GPS availability to applications on the 8x30 series of devices. I had a chat with another developer, who informed me of the process by which applications are approved by Verizon for location based services. It was enough information to enable a very targeted analysis of the GPS API internals in the operating system, and I now know how to enable GPS on 3rd party applications for these "crippled" devices.

Application developers can enable GPS acquisition on these 8x30 series devices by including the following line of code in the GPS setup code for your location based applications:
    Code:
    GPSSettings.setPDEInfo("127.0.0.1;12569612;F5468C61EE541421908597C54975B584", 0);
    You'll probably want to verify vendor ID and model number before invoking that code, because on non-Verizon and/or non-8x30 devices, this could break GPS acquisition. These are the same GPS authorization settings that VZNavigator uses.

Do be aware though, that this is an unsanctioned hack which may cease functioning in the future.

Let me know if you find it useful.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast