Hey guys, I just got the 8310 and downloaded googlemaps. Much to my surprise, it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Wangta no está en línea Stack level 2

Google Maps - Rollback Version?

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I just got the 8310 and downloaded googlemaps. Much to my surprise, it doesn't seem to have the same functions as I had on my 8800. I used to have "Find business" and "Find location" on my 8800, now I only have "search" which can't find even the most basic address.

I checked the versions, the 8310 has version 1.6.3 where my 8800 has version 1.5.2.

Anyway to roll-back to 1.5.2? I am not liking this new version.

nelsong no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Google Maps - Rollback Version?

Quote Originally Posted by Wangta
    Hey guys,

I just got the 8310 and downloaded googlemaps. Much to my surprise, it doesn't seem to have the same functions as I had on my 8800. I used to have "Find business" and "Find location" on my 8800, now I only have "search" which can't find even the most basic address.

I checked the versions, the 8310 has version 1.6.3 where my 8800 has version 1.5.2.

Anyway to roll-back to 1.5.2? I am not liking this new version.
    http://blackberryboard.googlepages.com/gmap.1.5.2.zip

I could not find a OTA install, just download that and install it through DM. You have to uninstall the 1.6.3 version or you will get a "no applications designed..." error. Please note that you will loose all favorites.

sanzen71 no está en línea Stack level 3

Or better yet why dont you use Blackberry maps, Ive found that alot more useful for my GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsong
    http://blackberryboard.googlepages.com/gmap.1.5.2.zip

I could not find a OTA install, just download that and install it through DM. You have to uninstall the 1.6.3 version or you will get a "no applications designed..." error. Please note that you will loose all favorites.
    Arg - I don't think its compatible with the 8310? I get an error on install:

"No additional applications designed for your device were found"

ratedrceo no está en línea Stack level 1

you need to download the OS for the curve from your service provider. Run it on your CPU, then bring up the app loader, at that point you'll be able to install that app and any other 3rd party app. There seems to be some sort of glitch in the desktop manager software, but that's what I did and it works fine now....

*also there's no need to install the actual software onto your curve, just have it on your desktop*

Wangta, did you remove google maps from DM cpmpletely? I mean uninstall it from your blackberry and remove it from DM. I always get that error with google maps when I try to upgrade it. It should work for you.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

the older version works... but, most have raved about the new 1.6.3 - i'll have to give it a spin

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes
    the older version works... but, most have raved about the new 1.6.3 - i'll have to give it a spin
    I have found the menu's quite sluggish on the newer one. One thing that bothers the hell out of me is the fact that once you use a bluetooth gps device you'll always need bluetooth turned on while using gmm or else it'll nag the hell out of you every 5 seconds telling you that it need bluetooth turned on.

PIN/ID
    No-More

Well... on the 8310, I will always have GPS... so that isn't a big concern to me - - - haven't heard about the slow menus b4

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes
    Well... on the 8310, I will always have GPS... so that isn't a big concern to me - - - haven't heard about the slow menus b4
    Menus are probably my fault then. I tend to run a fair amount of apps at the same time.

Thanks for all your input guys. I needed to update the OS anyways (there was a Korean/Japanese/Chinese version available from AT&T - how random is that??), so I'm gonna try and load the 1.5.2 version after its done (and Nelson, I'm gonna try and nuke it off both my bb and desktop manager before doing the install).

Question - is 1.6.2 the last version with the "find location/find business" options? If so, does anybody have a link to that install?

PIN/ID
    No-More

Sooo - i did a quick search in 1.6.3 for "Starbucks, my zip code..." this is what i got back in about 7 seconds... not too bad for use I'd say.

Right now i prefer Telenav and Info Space followed by Live Search... but, this will do if the others aren't working -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

bkeaver no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

I couldnt get 1.6.3 to work on my 8320.... the older version works better for me for some reason.