I was thinking of installing google maps on 8330 curve from alltel, but I had ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Bunky1267 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Google maps questions?

I was thinking of installing google maps on 8330 curve from alltel, but I had a couple of questions

I have read some articles but was 100% clear on the info,

1) if I install google maps It won't work if I install or have installed gmail???

2) does google maps work as a navigator like telnav ???

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    To answer your first question it will work. I had it on my curve and had gmail on it and it worked perfect.
    2. It will work like telnav how? Speaking directions no, but it will tell you how the traffic is and the fastest way to your destinations. Hope this helps.
    ~via smartphone

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Gmaps doesn't care if Gmail is on your device.
    Gmaps doesn't really compare to Telenav. Yes it can give you directions and such but its first and foremost a mapping app, not a navigation app. Can't say if it will work with GPS on Alltel, none of the 8x30 BlackBerry can get GPS in Gmaps on Verizon but can on Sprint, so YMMV.
    ~via smartphone

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    Gmaps can also work without using GPS at all, os if its blocked by your carrier or something it will just use cell triangulation... useing the towers around you. I have seen it work on an 8100, and even a pantech duo I installed it on.

IT also has a little blue arorrow that moves on the map with you (although not always the most accurate. But it is close enough.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    Gmail should not interfere with Google Maps in any way. If you're looking for an app that can give the turn-by-turn and voice, check out AmazeGPS. It's free and works pretty well.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    .......... Can't say if it will work with GPS on Alltel.............
    ~via smartphone
    I'm 8330 on Alltel (just converted to Verizon because of the buy-out but haven't switch from Alltel BB and, once I installed my GPS started working (not flawlessly mind you) with Google Maps. FYI, the GPS seems to like BB Maps better but it works with both of them. I have to start BB Maps first to (sort of) kick it off and then it works.

There's no guarantee that it'll work for you - it never worked for me before .160. Hope that's a help.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com