Is there a way to use Google Maps with the built in GPS?...Or any other ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pauly814 no está en línea Stack level 2

Google Maps and GPS ?

Advertisement

Is there a way to use Google Maps with the built in GPS?...Or any other program other than VZNavigator?

I tried Google Maps but it is no where close to my location...about 3 miles away.

Do I need to change the settings on the GPS or anything?

thanks.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Unfortunally Verizon kills the GPS funtions on the device and only allows VZNavigator to use it. I have heard some people get it to work by installing the demo of VZNavigator and then leave it on there device even after the trial period and apps like BB Maps and Google Maps might be able to use the internal GPS. I have read others get it to work but, I have not as I do not use a Verizon device.

wolfheart no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    303744DB
    I have attempted those "workarounds" people have posted in regard to the Verizon GPS and it just doesn't work. I think they are either: A)confused about GPS vs triangulation, or: B) full of it.
    ~ Benedictus qui venit in nomine Sathanas ~

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    The GPS feature has been neutered by Verizon Wireless. I beleive I actually read a genuine suit brought against Verizon for misleading customers through false advertising on their websites.

IIRC, their website claimed the BlackBerry Curve had GPS Navigation capability, which to an extent is true, but there is no little notice that it is through the Verizon Navigator proprietary software. It does suck a bit, and I hope there is a fix for this soon, either aftermarket or from Verizon Wireless.

yettiman2208 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I have read / heard rumors that vzw was going to open up the GPS but according to those rumors it was supposed to have happened a month or 2 ago so much for that :/~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

drozek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    how about for sprint can i use the internal gps?

PIN/ID
    ASK
    I believe you can. I think its only the vzw 8330 that iis locked. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hawkman610 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by yettiman2208 View Post
    I believe you can. I think its only the vzw 8330 that iis locked. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Alltel's is locked as well... can only use Telenav. From what I've read you have to have a subscibtion to Telenav and have it open to use the GPS function for any other application.

drozek no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31B1D26F
    So how do i enable it on 8330 in sprint, from google maps?

firecaptain no está en línea Stack level 1
    There's no enabling needed. Install the latest Google Maps (2.2?) and start it up.

Viola!

Even goes to satellite and hybrid view. Very cool.

It can't keep up when your vehicle is doing 80mph on satellite view tho.

Quote Originally Posted by drozek View Post
    So how do i enable it on 8330 in sprint, from google maps?

PIN/ID
    ASK
    i am not sure about the sprint one. for VZW there are GPS options in the options menu somewhere (Options->advanced->GPS); i suppose see in there if the GPS is enabled. As far as i know Gmaps automatically picks up the GPS so long as its enabled with teh phone. I know it does this on winmo phones, but unfortunately i have no experience with a GPS blackberry seeing as i have the VZW curve with the locked GPS.
    try the options menu and see if its in there. and if all else fails try Blackberry maps cause i kno there is a GPS options menu in there. (menu key->options) if the GPS is showing up under those options then it should pick it up in gmaps; also, try pressing 0 (number) in gmaps, that centers the map on ur location and will tell you whether ur using cell towers (triangulation) or GPS ["your location within 5000 meters" quite clearly triangulation]
    good luck and post back. also try and find out if the GPS is infact open on sprint. i thought it was but i could be mistaken.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    yea as firecaptain says; it should be picked up by gmaps automatically.

Buckfever4life no está en línea Stack level 1
    Alltel's is locked as well... can only use Telenav. From what I've read you have to have a subscibtion to Telenav and have it open to use the GPS function for any other application
    I spoke to Alltel and telinav and both disagreed with this statement. I have google maps on my Curve and it works ok, but my current location jumps around alot. The google maps program does not use GPS, but rather takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to pinpoin your location.

One minute my location is spot on (google maps) and then it will move like 5000 meters to the West and then back again. I also have MS Live which works ok, but it is still not spot on. I have done the above with and without D/L telenav and it made no difference in signal or locating abilites of any mapping program that I installed. I wish telenav had the option of aerials and I would gladly pay $10/month. I use aerials more than street atlas since I have a Kenwood navigation unit installed in my vehicle.

maxxijazz no está en línea Stack level 1
    Now I think you can use 3rd party applications, i have sportypal, and for exporting maps i use openstreetmap

kjlo5 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have read / heard rumors that vzw was going to open up the GPS but according to those rumors it was supposed to have happened a month or 2 ago so much for that :/~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Technically Verizon did "open up" the GPS when 4.5 OS came out. Verizon allows BB Maps to utilize the GPS for street level location but they lock it off from Google Maps because it is a "Security Risk." If you want to use the free GPS you must use BB Maps. I don't believe Verizon has any intention to completely unlock the GPS because it would interfere with their revenue stream they get from VZ Navigator.

Isnt it nice that Verizon charges you for a service that is completely free for everyone else in the world to use? I bet Verizon would sell you air if they could find a way to block your lungs from functioning without VZ Oxygen.