Even with the GPS integrated on the 8310, does Google Maps require data when you ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Google Maps....??

Advertisement

Even with the GPS integrated on the 8310, does Google Maps require data when you use it?

I know you have to use the internet to download it but I just got the 8310 and I was just wondering if internet is needed when using Google Maps rather than registering to TeleNav or NavTeq.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated ^_^

pniko_07 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    stack
    As far as I know it is required to run google maps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nm.....>.< i guess i was just hoping i could use the GPS without having to waste data usage. but now i know!

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Yea, it uses the internet to fetch the images of the maps of the program.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

ag_one80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got google maps a while ago,and stopped using telenav,its said I had a months free to use it,but the icon is still there.am I getting charged eveb if I don't use it?

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Ok so back to the original question, yes google maps does require data. However if you wish to use an offline GPS application please look at this thread.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=72572

As for another posters question, you should get charged for using telenav unless you cancel the subscribtion which was created.

ag_one80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    Ok so back to the original question, yes google maps does require data. However if you wish to use an offline GPS application please look at this thread.

As for another posters question, you should get charged for using telenav unless you cancel the subscribtion which was created.
    if I cancel my telenav will I still be able to use my gps,such as my google maps?

kasl33 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ag_one80 View Post
    if I cancel my telenav will I still be able to use my gps,such as my google maps?
    Yes. Google Maps is not related to Telenav or any other program. All you need is a data plan and a decent signal.

Wilfred no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2138A139
    I did the test and does requires data to plot the map, but it has a bigger cache than Telenav.

There is no relation between Google Maps and Telenav, you can just dont get Telenav Google Maps will still work, your GPS is a hardware device in your system, always running (unles you disable it or is asleep). You dont need any Telenav subscription.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    You will require telenav/navigator if you are on a CDMA network as they lock the GPS functionality.

silv333 no está en línea Stack level 3
    how about this one: do I actually have to physically set up Tele-Nav by subscribing? Or, is it automatic once I get my 8310?

Personally, I just got my 8310 and using google maps instead and hid the Tele-Nav icon on my Bberry. Just don't want any surprises!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    excellent! thanks for the link!