Hi all, I'll be traveling to the Philippines next month and wanted to see if ... BlackBerry Curve forum

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Going overseas with 8310?

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to the Philippines next month and wanted to see if I could get some quick input. I was wondering if I should even bring my phone with me, but also had a few questions:

1. Will the phone work there? If so, do I need to get it unlocked and then purchase a prepaid card for it out there?
    2. What type of usage charges would I be roughly looking at?
    3. Can I still use my data package out there and receive emails?

Any other advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Check out the website. There are some answers here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelgu...0KGHB4R2HASFEY

vbaskar no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243e5ffa
    Personal experience..called up att and explained that I need to make lots of local call in the country I am visiting and they sent me unlock code..unlocked it and bought a local prepaid sim and used it..infact intl roaming is expensive..I remember once paying about 400 dollars for a monthmm

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    Get it unlocked man, the roaming charges that you are looking at will be beyond belif, YOU WILL POOP BRICKS, after seeing your bill if you descide to roam with your current sim.
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    As everyone else has stated, go ahead and call your carrier. They should be able to provide you with an unlock code. You will be able to unlock your bb once you are overseas. Make sure you follow the directions carefully. Also, see if your carrier offers an international unlimited bb email plan. I know T-mobile does. That way, even you are still able to access your emails, if that is truly what you intend on doing. As for phone calls, unless you buy another prepaid SIM or something, expect to pay an arm and a leg for phone usage.

gridskipper007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam View Post
    Get it unlocked man, the roaming charges that you are looking at will be beyond belif, YOU WILL POOP BRICKS, after seeing your bill if you descide to roam with your current sim.
    I called my service provider (ATT) the day I bought mine. Told them I was going to Europe and needed to unlock the 8310. She was actually going to talk me through it (I was on a different phone). I wasn't in a place to do it so I wrote down the code and did it later. Quick and easy.

I roamed in Africa for 14 days on Verizon's 8830. Hahahha...1000.00 phone bill for the month. Still have some bricks left over after adding the addition to my house.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll call my carrier later this week and see what they say about unlocking the phone. Do I need to wait to buy a simcard once I get there? Also, will this new card also allow me use of the internet/email or will that still be an additional charge?

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    I know that if you add the international unlimited blackberry plan, you will not incur any additional charges for internet/email. However, do check with your carrier. I use AT&T and have not unlocked my phone, but I have helped unlock a Tmobile phone. Whenever my boss travels overseas, she has me add her on to the unlimited international email/internet plan which she has to pay $19.99 for. If you cancel before a month is up, you are only charged for the days you did have that plan on your account.

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    When you buy pre-paid SIM cards in your foreign destinations I can't help but wonder what degree of data services are available.

For sure standard voice calling functions will work.

I just wonder how much the local carriers charge for data usage. Be sure to ask about data service billing/functionality when you buy the local SIM card.

Thanks for all the help!

bikedogrun no está en línea Stack level 2
    Best way to do this:
    Keep your native (AT&T or TMO) sim in the phone and get the Intl BB added before you go. That way you will continue to receive email and can use the web.

Once your phone is unlocked, buy a local sim when you arrive, but only put it in when you want/need to make calls as you will lose email capability with the local sim. If you need to receive lots of calls, your callers will need to (of course) know the new number.

/BD

dcp_nz no está en línea Stack level 1
    Will AT&T let you add and remvoe the international data package as needed?

When I called them I was told the international data package required 12 month committment but the international voice package could be added or removed at any time.

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp_nz View Post
    Will AT&T let you add and remvoe the international data package as needed?

When I called them I was told the international data package required 12 month committment but the international voice package could be added or removed at any time.
    Paying AT&T for international roaming with your USA SIM card/phone is one option if you want to keep your USA +1 phone number active while overseas, but it's the most expensive option. Choose this option if you don't want to bother buying or using low priced local SIM cards at your destination.

Buying local SIM cards at your destinations gives you a new local phone number and offers lower calling rates for both local and international calls. The only question will be what kind of data services the local SIM card provides.

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~get it unlocked and buy a local prepaid/pay as you go SIM. Even if you add the AT&T international packages, the price will be crazy.